First saw : Stihl 028 or husky 445?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got few Stihl chainsaws plus others.

I've got a 028 that I bought used over 40 years ago and it's STIHL my favorite saw to reach for.
Only had to install one carb kit about 20 years ago and it's wore out several chains.

But I've never owned a Husky. (after owning Stihl's I never ever wanted to even try a Husky)

But I do not know if a Stihl would be happy in Spain.;)

I've got few Stihl chainsaws plus others.

I've got a 028 that I bought used over 40 years ago and it's STIHL my favorite saw to reach for.
Only had to install one carb kit about 20 years ago and it's wore out several chains.

But I've never owned a Husky. (after owning Stihl's I never ever wanted to even try a Husky)

But I do not know if a Stihl would be happy in Spain.;)
I am happy with it so far, although I could not set carb yesterday.. Today I will give it a go again, I think my biggest mistake is that I expect to run great even if it wasnt been úsed almost a year..

Enviado desde mi ANE-LX1 mediante Tapatalk

Well friends, it runs good. Yesterday didnt start because someone forgot to put gas in it.... Here is a vid, idles good I think, low Idle is near good but high is way off and I dont know what to do, tried clockwise and counter but it doesn't sound got at least to me..
Any pointers??
P.S. It cuts croocked, with the tip of the blade great, with the middle and rear sucks big time, almost does not do anything... http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5c92914d39feb/VID_20190320_201152.mp4

Making progress.

Uneven cutting is probably caused by a worn bar, check out the rails and flip it over. Could also be the cutters themselves. Maybe new a new chain is in order.

Making progress.

Uneven cutting is probably caused by a worn bar, check out the rails and flip it over. Could also be the cutters themselves. Maybe new a new chain is in order.
I thought it was the bar, chain is pretty new actually.. Bar is a 18 inch and I think I prefer a 16 inch. Will try to take the baffle out and enlarge the muffler exit as soon as I figure out how to remové the muffler because I tried to remove the two screws on the bottom and when I did that the muffler was still strong in place , probably some more screws are there that I dont see..

It should cut good everywhere not just at the tip. The chain is probably dull. That will make it cut crooked too.
Would you put lets say 16inc duromatic bar on it? Or there are better options?

Well friends, it runs good. Yesterday didnt start because someone forgot to put gas in it.... Here is a vid, idles good I think, low Idle is near good but high is way off and I dont know what to do, tried clockwise and counter but it doesn't sound got at least to me..
Any pointers??
P.S. It cuts croocked, with the tip of the blade great, with the middle and rear sucks big time, almost does not do anything... http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5c92914d39feb/VID_20190320_201152.mp4

Just a hint or two:

You can easily ruin your saw really fast if you are into a long cut under load and the H jet on the carb is set on the lean side.

From what you wrote it appears maybe you do not know how to properly adjust the H jet for 4 cycling sound. (which indicates somewhat rich so as the engine runs cool UNDER LOAD and does not overheat and ruin the engine)

You can re-search such (how to adjust a chainsaw carb for 4 cycling) online for some hints.
Cutting crooked can be the bar or chain or both. Flip the bar upside down and get the chain snug and test.
Post up a picture of your chains cutters?
If you go to a 16 inch bar and chain also replace the sprocket. (a old worn sprocket and new chain won't like each other)

Would you put lets say 16inc duromatic bar on it? Or there are better options?

I still have the original bar on mine. I'd pick the best side and either sharpen the chain or replace it with a new stihl chain. They seem to last the longest. I have a rollomatic bar on my ms290 which I believe is original. Seems to work good. I have a saw or 2 with bars that I have really beat on and they are still fine. I flip them a lot and file chains a lot. But this saw there is no need to really lean on it. Give it a sharp chain and bar oil and it should cut great. A lot of times a longer bar is nicer. You dont have to bend over as much to cut stuff and it should handle an 18 inch bar.

I still have the original bar on mine. I'd pick the best side and either sharpen the chain or replace it with a new stihl chain. They seem to last the longest. I have a rollomatic bar on my ms290 which I believe is original. Seems to work good. I have a saw or 2 with bars that I have really beat on and they are still fine. I flip them a lot and file chains a lot. But this saw there is no need to really lean on it. Give it a sharp chain and bar oil and it should cut great. A lot of times a longer bar is nicer. You dont have to bend over as much to cut stuff and it should handle an 18 inch bar.

Agree: get a new chain for your existing bar. If it cuts ok you can then try to fix your old chain as a spare)
You will most likely prefer your existing 18 inch bar for general wood cutting. I have some saws with 16, 18 and 20 and prefer the 18's.

If you
happen to determine that your existing has a bad bar or chain make sure any new stuff is getting oiled good. Several of my
old saws still have the original bars. I flip the bars quite often after cleaning the bar groove and the oiler holes and make sure they are oiling good.

Really cold weather will sometimes cause green wood sawdust to clog up a bar groove and act like the chain is too tight or the chain brake is dragging.

I dont mind my 16 inch bar but if it had an 18 inch that would be fine too. I'm fine with the 14inch with 3/8 lp on smaller saws. 16 and 18 aren't that much different and the saw wont notice assuming the pitch is the same.

Well friends this one needs some carburator cleaning or changing, runs ok first tank then it just bogs down wont start properly etc.. Will take her to the stihl shop, let them diagnose :)

Well friends this one needs some carburrtor cleaning or changing, runs ok first tank then it just bogs down wont start properly etc.. Will take her to the Stihl shop, let them diagnose :)

So, you made sure the fuel filter (pickup body) and the fuel line were both OK? Sounds like it's starved for fuel. Also, on the second attempt to start the engine after running through a full tank, you could have tried choking it after it was warm and then you flooded the carb.

So, you made sure the fuel filter (pickup body) and the fuel line were both OK? Sounds like it's starved for fuel. Also, on the second attempt to start the engine after running through a full tank, you could have tried choking it after it was warm and then you flooded the carb.
Noup, didnt Check the fuel line or the filter. I think I will change those two parts together with the carb so it should run good after. I dismantled the muffler and there is no spark deflector i side, just a swiss chese looking baffle.. I might opet it on the other side with a dremmel...

Friends one question, if I flip my saw on one side and it bogs and dies is that a pointer whats wrong??

Back