First saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stroker548

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’m looking to get my first real saw in the next couple weeks.

A little background- I grew up cutting and splitting wood with my Dad. We burned wood for primary heat for years. I always enjoyed it. He had an early 80’s Stihl 041 that he still has today.

Fast forward to today. My wife and I bought a new house 5 years ago that has a very nice brick fireplace with a Grizzly insert from the mid 70’s. I have never burned wood in it and until recently did not plan to although we do live on 22 acres of heavily wooded land.

Anyway with the political climate here lately the wife and I would like to have another heat source available. I called a chimney company and they are coming out to do a sweep and inspection as the fireplace hasn’t been used in roughly 20 years.

I would like to get a single do- all saw. I grew up running a 60cc saw that Dad used for everything so I think I want that. I am a big guy at 6’6 and 255 pounds so the weight is not really a concern as I mite cut 5-8 cord a year.

I have Stihl, Husky and Echo dealers close to home. I know this topic has probly been beat to death but would like some reassurance. I do not want a homeowner saw. It looks like my choices are the Husky 562, Stihl ms362 or the Echo cs-620. I am leaning toward the 620 but only because of the price. What do you all recommend?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 ideas. All 60 cc class
Husky 560
Echo 590
Stihl 361
Of the 3, echo is cheapest, then husky, and stihl. If you got one of those 3 used, from a reputable saw builder, with a port job, and such, you likely would like it.
You absolutely must learn what a saw in proper tune sounds like. Juicy is good. Mwah, Mwah, Mwah, is lean.

Go into each shop and see how each one feels in your hands, is the handle loop big enough for your foot when you start it? ask questions about their service department and simple test procedures covered in this forum, even requesting some small parts for a old saw they need to look up and order will tell you their business practices. A 50cc class saw can do a lot and If i were looking for a brand new saw the echo 590 would be a big contender being its around 400.00ish bucks. Keep eyes in your local facebook marketplace and craigs list as I see brand new saws for sale regularly still in the box way under actual cost.

A single, do-all saw for a guy that works in the woods is in the 70cc class. Anything less is a "baby saw". Just something to think about.

you won't notice much difference in weight between a 60 and a 70. I do, but I'm not young, 6'6" and 255lbs.

If you will regularly be cutting 20" and up stuff, then consider the larger saw. I'm trying to cover for you when you realize you need two saws....a 70 and a 50.

any of your 60cc suggestions would be a good saw. The Stihl and Husky have computer controlled carbs, the Echo does not.

A friend has an echo 590 and it's been a very reliable saw for him. It's always his first choice when it comes time to cut some wood. I've used the saw just recently and it has good power for its size, a nice wide powerband makes it easy to cut with when the bar is buried in hardwood. It may not be considered a pro saw, but it's value for the money is hard to argue with.

As stated if you can go to a dealer and get a feel for how each one handles. For me the half wrap handle on the 590 was a little too small because my thumb hit the cover and recoil when wearing thicker gloves but It cut good.

Imo the 361 is a great saw, it has has plenty of power and handles more like a 40cc saw.

I heat solely with wood cut from our 75 acres. Wood burning furnace that takes typical sized split firewood 16” to 18”
Not an OWB.
We burn 3-5 cords a year. ( More now we are working from home and not letting it cool off during the day)

I bought a Husky 50 in 1989, same year we bought the house. 15” bar. It has been more than adequate to cut enough firewood for our needs and still gets the job done 30 years later.

4 years ago, my son started cutting and selling firewood. 20 cords, then 40, then 80 last year. He bought a well used 562xp the first year, then a new one the next. I appropriated his original 562xp when he upgraded. (Technically his backup saw) The 562xp runs circles around my 50 at almost the same weight. He moved away this summer and it went with him. I got a new 562xp of my own for Christmas. [emoji1]

I suggest a 562xp would be perfect for your needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello everyone. I’m looking to get my first real saw in the next couple weeks.

A little background- I grew up cutting and splitting wood with my Dad. We burned wood for primary heat for years. I always enjoyed it. He had an early 80’s Stihl 041 that he still has today.

Fast forward to today. My wife and I bought a new house 5 years ago that has a very nice brick fireplace with a Grizzly insert from the mid 70’s. I have never burned wood in it and until recently did not plan to although we do live on 22 acres of heavily wooded land.

Anyway with the political climate here lately the wife and I would like to have another heat source available. I called a chimney company and they are coming out to do a sweep and inspection as the fireplace hasn’t been used in roughly 20 years.

I would like to get a single do- all saw. I grew up running a 60cc saw that Dad used for everything so I think I want that. I am a big guy at 6’6 and 255 pounds so the weight is not really a concern as I mite cut 5-8 cord a year.

I have Stihl, Husky and Echo dealers close to home. I know this topic has probly been beat to death but would like some reassurance. I do not want a homeowner saw. It looks like my choices are the Husky 562, Stihl ms362 or the Echo cs-620. I am leaning toward the 620 but only because of the price. What do you all recommend?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

If I was in your shoes I’d be waiting for the new Stihl MS400 when it comes out this Spring. 67cc and only 12.8 pounds. Vibration levels are identical to the MS362 and it can pull a 25” bar with ease. To me it’s the ultimate saw in the 60cc weight class.

If you have to choose between the saws on your list I’d probably be drawn to the Husky or Echo. The Husky has a larger hand grip that works better for bigger operators with large hands. The Husky will also have superior vibration control in comparison to the Echo.

The Echo saves you money and excels with a low price, Japanese reliability and simple operation.

I’d consider waiting for the 400i as well, but who knows how long that will take! The 500i isn’t even available in my area.

I think I’ll have plenty of time to save up for the 400i

Thanks for the replies. I think I’m gonna pick up the 620. It’s on sale right now for 550. It comes with a 24 inch bar and I’ll pick up an 18 for it as well.

Another question I have is chains. I don’t know the difference in all the ones they offer. What would b the best choice for each bar length as a good general use chain? Thanks again.

Rule of thumb- more aggressive chains (full chisel) will cut a bit faster but dull more quickly than less aggressive chains (semi chisel). If you think you’re going to cut wood in conditions that aren’t dirt/sand/etc free consider a less aggressive chain (green). There’s also less chance for kickback.

I believe Echo uses Oregon brand chains which are good. I like Stihl, Oregon and Husky chains in terms of metal quality and design.

The 620P is targeted at professional users so it should come with a good quality chain out of the box.

Another thought- if you’re 6’6 you might be happier with a 20” bar instead of an 18” in terms of reach. You’ll bend over a bit less when limbing a fallen tree.

Somehow I think you’ll wind up using the 24” on everything though haha.

Since the saw bit has been chosen, I'll give my impressions in the oregon chain I've been using here lately. It sucks. I've been finding I've had to sharpen often, and typically go back and touch up the chain a few times during the day. Some of this I can attribute to dirty wood.(and I was) yesterday I had to jump up from my 562xp to my 390xp which had a stihl chain on it. Went all day in the same pile i was cutting 2 days ago. All the logs were drug in at the same time, and dirt levels were basically the same. I'll touch up the stihl chain before I go back to cut, but once the oregon chain is spanked I think I'm done with them for a wile. This last batch of 72 chain is very soft. I may try out the new husqy chain and see how that fairs. If your in clean wood I doubt it would matter much which brand, but I've never been disappointed with the stihl RS chain.

Well I picked it up after work today. 550 out the door with a gallon of fuel, quart of oil and a set of files. Not to bad if you ask me. Oh and it smells like a race car when I started it up for the first time and it sounds good. Haha

Well I picked it up after work today. 550 out the door with a gallon of fuel, quart of oil and a set of files. Not to bad if you ask me. Oh and it smells like a race car when I started it up for the first time and it sounds good. Haha

That's great-congratulations! Did you wind up with the 18" and 24" bars?

I just got the 24 it came with. I will pick up a 18-20 one of these days.

Back