First Stump Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DST0922

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello and thank you to anybody talking the time to read this. I have been in lawn and Landscape for the past 15+ years as a part time job to supplement income for my family.
Lately I have been getting more and more stump grinding jobs and enjoy the work - I think I could name a go at it and cut back on mowing.
My options to buy are either a used Vermeer 252 $12500, Used Vermeer Sc30TX $12500 (both around 150hrs), new Vermeer Sc30TX $16500, or new Bandit 1844 $16800.
I know many will say anything under 40hp is worthless, but within 4 hours of me these are my only options in my price range. I know 27hp isn't great, but it has certainly always gotten everything job done for me in the past when renting.
Any input on which one of these is the best value would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

The smaller machines will do the job, if you can afford the time. Also, you can usually get the smaller machines into stumps with tougher access. You have to assess your market. Some guys are in markets with easy access, such as no fences or gates. Personally, our market has lots of fences, gates, fancy landscaping and steep ground, so our machine needs will vary accordingly.

If you have a choice, I would suggest you get hydraulic drive motor for the wheel rather than a belt drive (we had both bandit and vermeer and they both ate belts and bearings - although they also had a variety of operators and sketchy maintenance).

I found that being efficient getting the machine off and on the trailer, onto the stump, talking to the customer and cleanup could overcome the time lost due to an underpowered machine.

The smaller machines will do the job, if you can afford the time. Also, you can usually get the smaller machines into stumps with tougher access. You have to assess your market. Some guys are in markets with easy access, such as no fences or gates. Personally, our market has lots of fences, gates, fancy landscaping and steep ground, so our machine needs will vary accordingly.

If you have a choice, I would suggest you get hydraulic drive motor for the wheel rather than a belt drive (we had both bandit and vermeer and they both ate belts and bearings - although they also had a variety of operators and sketchy maintenance).

I found that being efficient getting the machine off and on the trailer, onto the stump, talking to the customer and cleanup could overcome the time lost due to an underpowered machine.
Thank you for the advice - as a one man show doing this part time I do have a little advantage. I'm not paying someone to run machine or worry about them abusing it. The lower overhead also means I can shoot for the $75/hr range and still be or more profitable than I do mowing. I already have insurance, dump trailer, and other equipment to assist me.
I believe both tracked units are hydrostatically driven cutters... Any big difference in the Bandit vs Vermeer? I noticed while the engine size is comparable, the Bandit wheel spins at over 2000rpm, while the Vermeer is just 1100 rpm... Bandit has green teeth and Vermeer has yellow jacket... Thoughts?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

My options to buy are either a used Vermeer 252 $12500, Used Vermeer Sc30TX $12500 (both around 150hrs), new Vermeer Sc30TX $16500, or new Bandit 1844 $16800.

Of the four machines you have listed, I would go with the new Bandit ZT1844. The Vermeer 252 is a real workhorse for a small machine but the key word above is USED. The other two Vermeer machines are operated from behind the grinder and you can't even see the stump. I'm not familiar with the Bandit 1844 but I did go watch a Youtube video of one and the operator station moves to the side where you can see the stump as you grind. I had a Vermeer 352 and sold it with only 450 hours and within a couple of months the buyer called and told me the engine had blown. It had the Daihatsu diesel engine and it seemed to be a common occurrence. I now have a Carlton SP7015 and am seriously thinking about getting a 7015TRX. With a new machine you know it has not been abused. You have a warranty if there are any issues. If you find it is a very profitable business, you can always sell what you have and move up. From what I have seen, there are many more stump grinders that go out of business than those that stay in business. You can make the same money, per stump, with a small machine than you can with a large machine. It will just take you much, much longer to get the job done. That works okay if you are doing five or six stumps but it might not work so good on jobs where you have fifty or a hundred stumps. There is so much to know about this business besides owning a new machine too. Good luck to you.

Of the four machines you have listed, I would go with the new Bandit ZT1844. The Vermeer 252 is a real workhorse for a small machine but the key word above is USED. The other two Vermeer machines are operated from behind the grinder and you can't even see the stump. I'm not familiar with the Bandit 1844 but I did go watch a Youtube video of one and the operator station moves to the side where you can see the stump as you grind. I had a Vermeer 352 and sold it with only 450 hours and within a couple of months the buyer called and told me the engine had blown. It had the Daihatsu diesel engine and it seemed to be a common occurrence. I now have a Carlton SP7015 and am seriously thinking about getting a 7015TRX. With a new machine you know it has not been abused. You have a warranty if there are any issues. If you find it is a very profitable business, you can always sell what you have and move up. From what I have seen, there are many more stump grinders that go out of business than those that stay in business. You can make the same money, per stump, with a small machine than you can with a large machine. It will just take you much, much longer to get the job done. That works okay if you are doing five or six stumps but it might not work so good on jobs where you have fifty or a hundred stumps. There is so much to know about this business besides owning a new machine too. Good luck to you.
Thank you for the advice

Congrats to your new machine.
Cupocoffe is right with mentioned above, the only thing I add is, stay away from this idea:

The lower overhead also means I can shoot for the $75/hr range and still be or more profitable than I do mowing. I already have insurance, dump trailer, and other equipment to assist me.

Stump grinders are money eaters, and a mower is fun to maintain compared to a grinder, which daily needs your attention very bad.
As you've been in lawn business so long, you are pretty sure tired of lowballers, don't become one yourself in another business.

Congrats to your new machine.
Cupocoffe is right with mentioned above, the only thing I add is, stay away from this idea:

Stump grinders are money eaters, and a mower is fun to maintain compared to a grinder, which daily needs your attention very bad.
As you've been in lawn bussiness so long, you are pretty sure tired of lowballers, don't become one yourself in another business.
Yes i agree, my intention wasn't to come across as a low baller, but rather state my overhead was a little lower than some others....I appreciate all the advice, I have learned more in the last few months than I can believe, it's nice to take on a new challenge and have this resource.

So far I'm in that range most the time... Need to be a little better about sticking with my gut on cleanup though.. Still afraid of letting woek go and ended up doing a few way to cheap... Learning curve

I usually charge between $75-$350 per job on stumps although I am seriously considering doubling my minimum.

The rental place here stopped renting manual grinders, now all they have is a $300/day hydraulic grinder.

Occasionally someone will save up a dozen or so stumps before they call. In those cases fifty bucks a stump is easy to sell.

Somebody on one of these threads came up with a pretty good formula that I hijacked. By the inch below 30" then based on area above that, seems to work pretty good for me

Well I went with the 38hp bandit on tracks zt1844 - hopefully it's as good as the dealer claims

How do you like the 1844, and how does it compare to Vermeer sc252? Interested in the unit due to price. Good price for a 38 hp grinder.

I'm not a very reliable reviewer in terms of comparing this to another unit. I have never used the SC252. I do like my 1844, and knowing everything I know about it now, would still buy it again. The bang for your buck is hard to beat. I love the power, portability, swing controls, and ease of operation. Maintenance on it is fairly straightforward and not too time consuming. Most annoying things about it are : the 44" swing always seems like it is a few inches too short - most stumps I grind, I need to run through again on one side to finish off the root flare. It is a bit nose heavy - sometimes need to be careful on steeper slopes (it has never tipped, but it is narrow and long). I am very happy with the power, but we don't have terribly hard wood around here. The greenteeth are a nice bonus.
If you have any questions in particular I'll try and answer for you.

So far I'm in that range most the time... Need to be a little better about sticking with my gut on cleanup though.. Still afraid of letting woek go and ended up doing a few way to cheap... Learning curve

My friend I have been grinding for 17 years and never hauled away debris. I always tell the customer up front that they will have to deal with chips. Over the years I might have lost maybe a dozen jobs. I do blow the drive or walkway but that is it. It would be easy to spend more time cleaning up than grinding.

My friend I have been grinding for 17 years and never hauled away debris. I always tell the customer up front that they will have to deal with chips. Over the years I might have lost maybe a dozen jobs. I do blow the drive or walkway but that is it. It would be easy to spend more time cleaning up than grinding.
Same here. I have been grinding for nine years. I always tell my customers I will do a "rough coverup" of the hole but I do not haul off, rake, or landscape the area. I have NEVER lost a job because of that. My grinder has a blade on it so I will pull the chips back over the hole with the machine. If it is some old man or old woman (Okay, I am seventy years old so they have to be really old), who is infirm, I will spend more time on dressing it up but that is rare.

Same here. I have been grinding for nine years. I always tell my customers I will do a "rough coverup" of the hole but I do not haul off, rake, or landscape the area. I have NEVER lost a job because of that. My grinder has a blade on it so I will pull the chips back over the hole with the machine. If it is some old man or old woman (Okay, I am seventy years old so they have to be really old), who is infirm, I will spend more time on dressing it up but that is rare.
I envy you both...I don't have enough work to give up the extra money that goes along with the finish work. I'm still young, so the work isn't too taxing on me.

Back