Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

First time buying climbing gear...Where to start??

Discussion in 'Commercial Tree Care and Climbing' started by Khntr85, May 20, 2017.

1. david1332

david1332 ArboristSite Operative

yeah I just avoid it like the plague lol. It has the potential to lock the bird and send you down fast

2. CanopyGorilla

CanopyGorilla climber....sawyer

Never had that issue. The only thing coming down fast is the tree.:happybanana:

ropensaddle likes this.
  3. david1332

david1332 ArboristSite Operative

I know neither have I but I've read about it and it says in the manual not to sideload it

4. ropensaddle

ropensaddle Feel Lucky

I watched a short video of a limb walk with retractable 3 to 1 coming back looked pretty slick to me! Also for me it will be mostly used after aloft to work the canopy after a wraptor ride up :) I do want it for short climbs too though 30 foot or so with the new style hass and cmi foot ascender, I would think the hh would suit me well.

CanopyGorilla likes this.
  5. Khntr85

Khntr85 Addicted to ArboristSite

Wow all the climbing terminology shows just how green I am when it comes to climbing...:

It's strange that I haven't ever learned, I am 30-years old and have been running a saw half my life, easily....now my "full-time" job is not tree work, I just do it on the side, and as wierd as it sounds I love it....I got a Jameson pole saw/pruner and it is amazing what I can get with it, I love the Jameson....

Anyway when I get my mind set on something, I won't stop til I get figured out, so in time I will learn to climb....as one of you guys mentioned, I do want to try on the equipment before I buy it...since it's my first time, I don't know how the sizes run....

6. greengreer

greengreer ArboristSite Operative

No, I don't own a hh2 anymore. I am just careful about sideloading the runner or I use a hitch.

ropensaddle and CanopyGorilla like this.
  7. ropensaddle

ropensaddle Feel Lucky

That's just it I don't wanna baby my gear as a necessity. I mean I'm not hard on stuff try to make it last but in the heat of battle I don't want a plastic crab if you get my drift? I been in trees since 1981 I know a taunt line is bomb proof or blakes and i climbed on both over two decades until buying gadgets. That said; I don't wanna go back to hip thrust either but I have to absolutely trust my gear. I love my art positioner, wraptor and my 200 foot committed 5 to 1 and all the other nifties I have bought but if i don't trust something in a situation it stays in the doctor bag!

8. jefflovstrom

jefflovstrom It was a beautiful day!

Exactly, and in trees since 1978, some of the new stuff seems like overkill.
    Jeff

p61 western and ropensaddle like this.
  9. dschroeder

dschroeder ArboristSite Operative

Was wondering how the Buckingham was for customizing with carabiner or chainsaw hooks...are there “slots” in the webbing they can be added?

10. treesmith

treesmith tree hugger/cutter

For customising and fit you'll do well to get more useable than a treemotion harness, put what you want where you want, dmm vault and petzl caritools are perfect fits, or just add a biner wherever you want, on waist or leg straps

Also has two sets of D's, a rope bridge with a sliding alloy ring, life support point on the back, more attachment points than can be used and they're everywhere, full adjustment, good padding, secure fit and nice buckle clips.
    Doesn't pull down with a big saw hanging off it either

dschroeder and ropensaddle like this.
  11. dschroeder

dschroeder ArboristSite Operative

Thinking I’ll go with this https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=274&item=3539#detail

treesmith likes this.
  12. treesmith

treesmith tree hugger/cutter

Never tried the light one and don't know anyone with it, the standard is popular here

13. Benjamin S Pendleton

Benjamin S Pendleton ArboristSite Lurker

For sure pay attention to the comfort of your feet. Climbing hurts, period. The bigger you are the worse it is.