First time buying climbing gear...Where to start??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See, I like side loading my HH. It let's you work off the side of leaning spars. So I've thought about the RR, but never pulled the trigger for that reason.
yeah I just avoid it like the plague lol. It has the potential to lock the bird and send you down fast

See, I like side loading my HH. It let's you work off the side of leaning spars. So I've thought about the RR, but never pulled the trigger for that reason.
I watched a short video of a limb walk with retractable 3 to 1 coming back looked pretty slick to me! Also for me it will be mostly used after aloft to work the canopy after a wraptor ride up :) I do want it for short climbs too though 30 foot or so with the new style hass and cmi foot ascender, I would think the hh would suit me well.

Wow all the climbing terminology shows just how green I am when it comes to climbing...:

It's strange that I haven't ever learned, I am 30-years old and have been running a saw half my life, easily....now my "full-time" job is not tree work, I just do it on the side, and as wierd as it sounds I love it....I got a Jameson pole saw/pruner and it is amazing what I can get with it, I love the Jameson....

Anyway when I get my mind set on something, I won't stop til I get figured out, so in time I will learn to climb....as one of you guys mentioned, I do want to try on the equipment before I buy it...since it's my first time, I don't know how the sizes run....

No, I don't own a hh2 anymore. I am just careful about sideloading the runner or I use a hitch.
That's just it I don't wanna baby my gear as a necessity. I mean I'm not hard on stuff try to make it last but in the heat of battle I don't want a plastic crab if you get my drift? I been in trees since 1981 I know a taunt line is bomb proof or blakes and i climbed on both over two decades until buying gadgets. That said; I don't wanna go back to hip thrust either but I have to absolutely trust my gear. I love my art positioner, wraptor and my 200 foot committed 5 to 1 and all the other nifties I have bought but if i don't trust something in a situation it stays in the doctor bag!

That's just it I don't wanna baby my gear as a necessity. I mean I'm not hard on stuff try to make it last but in the heat of battle I don't want a plastic crab if you get my drift? I been in trees since 1981 I know a taunt line is bomb proof or blakes and i climbed on both over two decades until buying gadgets. That said; I don't wanna go back to hip thrust either but I have to absolutely trust my gear. I love my art positioner, wraptor and my 200 foot committed 5 to 1 and all the other nifties I have bought but if i don't trust something in a situation it stays in the doctor bag!

Exactly, and in trees since 1978, some of the new stuff seems like overkill.
Jeff

Treestuff.com all the way.

I would recommend a midddle of the pack saddle to start out with ( I reccomend the buckingham Rebellion) but if you're gonna go all out get a treemotion or a monkey beaver belt. MCRS. Is also a good option I've heard.

Personally I've climbed on 3 saddles
1) weaver wide backed 4 D- horrible for me since I spend a lot of time hanging in my saddle, but it's really good for being on spikes. I bought it before I knew anything about treework or these forums) -$180 or so

2) buckingham Rebellion- my favorite saddle for about a year. I have little to complain about it for it's price @ $300. It's a great saddle for those on a budget. Great gear storage and the rope ridge and leg loops are awesome.

3) TreeMOTION- I have only climbed on it for a few weeks but I can tell that it's by far the most comfortable saddle I've ever climbed in. It's amazing in how well it hugs your body once you get it adjusted, I would buy another in a heartbeat. Pricey at around $509 but worth it

Was wondering how the Buckingham was for customizing with carabiner or chainsaw hooks...are there “slots” in the webbing they can be added?

For customising and fit you'll do well to get more useable than a treemotion harness, put what you want where you want, dmm vault and petzl caritools are perfect fits, or just add a biner wherever you want, on waist or leg straps

Also has two sets of D's, a rope bridge with a sliding alloy ring, life support point on the back, more attachment points than can be used and they're everywhere, full adjustment, good padding, secure fit and nice buckle clips.
Doesn't pull down with a big saw hanging off it either

For customising and fit you'll do well to get more useable than a treemotion harness, put what you want where you want, dmm vault and petzl caritools are perfect fits, or just add a biner wherever you want, on waist or leg straps

Also has two sets of D's, a rope bridge with a sliding alloy ring, life support point on the back, more attachment points than can be used and they're everywhere, full adjustment, good padding, secure fit and nice buckle clips.
Doesn't pull down with a big saw hanging off it either

Thinking I’ll go with this https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=274&item=3539#detail

Never tried the light one and don't know anyone with it, the standard is popular here

Back