First Time Chain Saw Purchaser Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not telling you not to buy a chainsaw, because who doesn't want a new saw Haha. But if you're only going to be doing what you said with branches and shrubs I'd suggest a cordless sawzall with a pruning blade. It's what I use for anything 4" or under unless there is a lot of them. It zips trough branches scary fast, and you can cut roots in the dirt with it without wrenching a chain. I love it, and with a good battery it will last all day, and be way under the price and maintenance of a chainsaw. You also get to use it for any other projects around the house.

The extended non-use periods on any saw concerns me, especially with the crappy fuels nowadays. I have recommended to a few of my customers that they consider the newer battery saws especially if you are only cutting small stuff. These saws have really improved lately. Granted you aren't doing an Oak removal with one but for the occasional user it might work out.
From the description of what he wants, I'd second the recommendation for trying the new battery saws. All the manufacturers are making them. I just happen to pick the Stihl MSA120 and it has so much torque, it's edging out my smallest Stihl trim saw. Also, it can sit forever - no worries about the gas going stale. When you get ready, all you have to do is check the bar oil and make sure your battery's charged up...

My first saw is an 025 Stihl I picked up my aunt when my uncle passed away last year. He bought it brand new and it runs absolutely great. Will probably not ever sell it or get rid of it unless it dies. Best $125 I ever spent. Better than the newer MS251 I believe and they are truly hard to beat for the price. Now I have a MS361 I picked up locally from CL and couldn't be happier with that score as well. Both used saws but both in immaculate shape. Both saws for $525.

Hello,

First time Poster.

Want to buy a chain saw for very occasional use around house.
Nothing big. Just shrubs, branches, etc.

Have narrowed it down to a Stihl or the Husrvqua (apologize for the spelling ?).

This has probably been asked a zillion times, but does one have a meaningfully
better reliability record than the other ?
Main thing for me is that it start, easily, after prolonged non-usages.

Is the Stihl 170 a good bet ?
Do they all come out of the box with a 16 inch chain ?
So many Posts that it is great, and so many that it is junk.
Any consensus on ? Caveats ?

Does it make more sense to go to the Stihl 171 ? Why ?

What does Husv. have that is comparable to the 170 ?
A better choice than the 170 Stihl ? Why ?
Couldn't see any in their abridged listings ?

Much thanks.
Appreciate the help,
Bob
Hand Pruners and Loppers for up to 2" branches or hand buck saw.
Also for higher reach use a 14' hand pole saw with lopper. Fiskars makes a good one.
If you need need a pole saw/chain saw and will be trimming high up, look at Lowes' Kobalt Lithium Ion one(40 volt).
You can use the battery in all your other tools of same kind like the blower, weed trimmer etc.
Very reliable and no gas/oil mixing or carburetors to deal with.
I have all of those tools and love them all.
I do have chain saws too but I cut firewood for heating my house with. Mine are all Stihl.
Kobal 40v electric pole saw_8inch.jpg 1000426926_pri_4.jpg 41GOoxRKlHL.jpg

I would suggest buying the saw of your choice from the dealer that will sit down and take the time to truly evaluate your needs/wants and will service you later.

I have 6 acres of bush and my first saw was a Husky 450. It served me well for 7 years.
But then I started reading this forum. CAD kicks in.

Now I have a used MS 260 and a new 562XP. And looking for a pole saw.

I buy Husqvarna from local guy because he gave me the fix no charge for my first Stihl weed eater (before I bought anything from Husqvarna dealer) when Stihl dealer told me to throw it away. It was a plugged exhaust screen.

I have now bought 2 blowers, 2 chainsaws, a lawnmower and odds and ends from Husqvarna dealer. Also send people his way.

Go for best customer service dealer and a good dealer will not oversell you.

Hello,

First time Poster.

Want to buy a chain saw for very occasional use around house.
Nothing big. Just shrubs, branches, etc.

Have narrowed it down to a Stihl or the Husrvqua (apologize for the spelling ?).

This has probably been asked a zillion times, but does one have a meaningfully
better reliability record than the other ?
Main thing for me is that it start, easily, after prolonged non-usages.

Is the Stihl 170 a good bet ?
Do they all come out of the box with a 16 inch chain ?
So many Posts that it is great, and so many that it is junk.
Any consensus on ? Caveats ?

Does it make more sense to go to the Stihl 171 ? Why ?

What does Husv. have that is comparable to the 170 ?
A better choice than the 170 Stihl ? Why ?
Couldn't see any in their abridged listings ?

Much thanks.
Appreciate the help,
Bob
So after getting all this bad advise, what did you end up buying?

Latest posts

Back