First Time Clearing - Could use Some Advice / Direction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I haven't been following your whole post, just checking in now and then. That "Green Paint" sure made the 8N look and run better. Will you get an aerial view of the finished project? I wish I had one guy like you, I might not have retired, although, retired is pretty nice too, Joe.

After all these years I finally got a tractor with a loader, then you post a video of a tractor very similar to my new one with a grapple........damn-it man.

Last Wednesday I loaded up some of the cottonwood... The trailer could really use a couple new tires, so I didn't want to push it too much.

09-04-13%25281%2529.jpg

09-04-13%25282%2529.jpg

I got Wednesday's load cut up and stacked on Friday night so that I would be ready to bring another load home on Saturday morning. I spent a lot of time getting some of the trunk cut into manageable sizes. I had to noodle a crotch piece and use the teeth on the grapple to break / pry it apart so the loader could even lift it (4 ft wide).

09-07-13%25281%2529.jpg

This weeks M-F task will be to get this load cut up and stacked... and repeat on Saturday.

Just wanted to follow up. I finished up on October 18th - just over a year. I didn't take any pictures though. It was a lot of work, but well worth gaining some experience. I still have the Poulan 2055, but picked up an MS441R C-M - nice saw!

well your post says "Clearing" you're doing thining/selective cutting,
without a landing theres really no way to do it efficently
id tell this guy if he wanted it done then you need to use the yard as the landing, no logging/tree company in their right mind would work it without a landing.
i understand you're doing it for the wood but with the money your making off of the wood its not worth the time you have into it!
232 hours is a serious amount of time for a job of that size.
1 guy with a cable skidder can do that job in 3-5 days including chipping the brush.

Nice thread
Just wondering if you can fell,block,split,load trailer and sell the wood straight from the site.
If I had more than a few hours a week on site then it might have been feasable. I had more time available at home to process than on site. When I was selling, it was easier to have the wood at home to load up rather than adding at least an hour of driving to go get it.

wow thats ALOT of time for $1800 (high end) worth of standing timber...
usaully $50-60 a cord stump price around here...

Looks like there was about 350 man hours on the project. That included getting it all split. My numbers could be bit off as I was getting a little less diligent with my record keeping towards the end.

My splitting area (modified Deere Model 52 splitter).
Meanwhile back home… I purchased a Speeco slip on 4 way wedge from TSC for ~$65 to speed up the splitting (much improved!).

4_Way_Slip_On_Wedge.jpg

This looks very similar to a Didier splitter. Is it? I am looking for a 4 way and do not wanna spend a crazy amount.

Thanks,
Dave

Back