First Time Clearing - Could use Some Advice / Direction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you really could use one of these!

87a28c6b904c1a536ddbdf7798a0c860.jpg

Thanks

I forgot all about this reply...

Got one in April of this year!!!

20150625_203540.png

This thread struck home because I got myself into a much smaller scale but similar situation earlier this year. I was/have been doing some light tree work for a friend that sells and installs solar power systems. He hired me to clear an area in an older woman's yard for a truly massive array- about 180' long. Keep in mind that while the array was only 180'x15' in size, trees need to be opened up in a big way to let light in. So the total area that had to be cleared was around 100 yards wide by 200 yards long. I did 75% of the work on my own, in May, with nothing more than a saw and a pickup truck. I did get a bobcat for two full days to smooth out the property, and the forks were awesome for moving longs and placing them in piles along the property line. I didn't have to move the wood from the lot- but it did need to be stacked neatly. I was paid for the job, and I do get to go back and get firewood from the woman- she needs help around the house, so I get to barter that.

I only say it was similar as it was a lot of work for one person, and I was in over my head (experience wise for sure) for most of the job, however I can say without a doubt that the experience I gained was immeasurable- as I'm sure it was with you Dave. I can also identify with the feelings of working as hard as you can until you are physically drained, and still feeling like you are miles away from the finish line. Again- no real comparison, my job took me 5 full weekends, not a year. Much smaller scale, but the woman was angry all the time because of the delays in reducing her $900/month electric bill!

Just thought it would be appropriate to post this here as it seems to show a nice timeline of my progress.

Got me a new 5045E!

- H240 loader
- 73" bucket (thinking I might add teeth to it)
- RB2184H (7ft, hydraulic angle/manual tilt back blade)
- CID Professional Series stump bucket (due in by the weekend I think)
- Telescopic end links (they are sending them with the stump bucket)
- 2nd set of rear remotes
- 14.9x28 rear tires
- iMatch (Cat I)
- Heavy Hitch gooseneck trailer mover

When delivered:
20151114_140233.jpg

20151114_142239.jpg

20151114_142606.jpg

20151114_145825.jpg

Wasted no time getting it dirty!

20151114_160919.jpg

3032E couldn't do this!

20151114_161230.jpg

Yeah, don't think I even want to pick up anything to that height.

20151115_122425.jpg

Tight fit!

20151115_123210.jpg

20151115_135712.jpg

I need to stop reading....getting WAYYYY to jealous, lol

Can you tell us your secrets as to how you got all these purchases approved with the boss lady? Inquiring minds want to know....and attempt to do the same

I need to stop reading....getting WAYYYY to jealous, lol

Can you tell us your secrets as to how you got all these purchases approved with the boss lady? Inquiring minds want to know....and attempt to do the same

Yeah... about those approvals. I don't recommend the technique of her responses turning into "I don't know why you even ask me. You are going to do whatever you want anyways!". I have to be very careful and recognize when she really means business or is just getting annoyed.

I read bout all the post and ii just not sure what to say.....I hope ya get it done with out any one getting hurt....im am by no means a pro feller but when your done take some of your profit and take a felling class.......just seems like a lot of misdirected energy to me but ya gotta have a project I guess...looks like ya got a lot of some type of invasive vine species there Plus gonna have stump sprouts out your ears too I would guess. Looks like ya got a vernal pool in the middle there....

The best part is how looking at your signature, you not only got a new 5045, but you managed to also keep the 3032. Damn you Dave...damn you!!!

I just read this post all the way through for the first time. You Have come a long way FLRA_Dave! I wanted to reply with comments but not relevant in an old thread. Learning the hard way does work and luckily you didn't get hurt. Bigger saw, truck, equipment organization etc. all come in time and tough experience and I bet you wonder how you got that job done and what you were thinking back then trying to do it with nothing. Sounds like you were strapped for time between work, family and the clearing. Great that the family is out with you now. Any family time, even working time is priceless. Your kid may grow up not wanting anything to do with firewood, but you are teaching him some great life lessons now.

BTW, jealous also of your tractors.

I just read this post all the way through for the first time. You Have come a long way FLRA_Dave! I wanted to reply with comments but not relevant in an old thread. Learning the hard way does work and luckily you didn't get hurt. Bigger saw, truck, equipment organization etc. all come in time and tough experience and I bet you wonder how you got that job done and what you were thinking back then trying to do it with nothing. Sounds like you were strapped for time between work, family and the clearing. Great that the family is out with you now. Any family time, even working time is priceless. Your kid may grow up not wanting anything to do with firewood, but you are teaching him some great life lessons now.

BTW, jealous also of your tractors.

Yeah, it's been interesting at times. Still have a bunch of the same constraints, but now that the kids are getting older (11, 7, & 5) it is getting easier. If I had what I do now (knowledge and equipment) I probably would have got that done in a few weeks and actually make a little bit of money. I never would have imagined that this is where I would be almost 4 years ago. Unfortunately I have yet to make any profit (only grossing about $45/hr right now) due to not being able to put the hours in. I still only average about 9 hours a week. I just keep reinvesting and getting my name out in the community. The 6 acres I'm clearing right now for a farm (I get the saw logs/firewood) was from them contacting me - so that was a good feeling. Hopefully I'll still manage to keep my head above water for a while longer, lol.

I remember reading this thread back when you first started it. I agree with others, you have came a long way. I will make a suggestion as to using the proper equipment to get the job done. Skidders and knuckleboom loaders, tractors with FEL and logging winches are handy things to have around, but I never had any of those things back when I was clearing house lots and road ways. What I used and still think is one of the handiest tools to have was a cable loader on a 2ton truck. We had a bigstick pulpwood loader and log loader as well as a Kennemore log loader at different times. Each loader held 200ft of cable. On the biggest majority of any lots I cleared, if I could get the truck to the lot, I could cut and load everything sitting in one spot. Didnt have to skid logs thru or drive thru mud holes, not make any ruts that had to be filled in later. Pileing brush was a breeze, just drag the tops up to one spot and chop them up. Used to clear creek banks by dragging the cable down thru the middle of the creek and then sawing all the brush down on top of the cable, throwing the cable across the top of the brush and hooking back in itself, winch it up tight and you have a 100ft of creek bank cleared in one pass and the brush hanging from the truck boom which you could just drive to the pile and drop off.Have a bad leaner you want to fall a certain direction, just hook up the cable and pull the way you want it to fall. Heck, dad was a lineman for the TVA, he would climb to the top of some trees , hook up the cable and just winch the tree over without cutting them off the stump. Dont see many of those old big stick loaders any more, everyone gave them up for the skidders and knuckle booms, but If you run across a old one somewhere, you might want to check it out for jobs just like the one your original post was about.

Back