First time milling.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

link523

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wife and I decided to go up to are property for New Years. So I brought my granberg mill and a couple saws. I bought the mill us d from Craigslist a year ago and a used 394 that needed work. Thanks to the guys on the chainsaw forum I have it running good.
ed58992ed08c34192e6e55392683a38e.jpg
7e3a53ba6b8fc603b153d7388e41b273.jpg
4a99ce7bd84b9e58fafc1008042743ae.jpg
992367adf0a4b91cc6bc544c09e13c86.jpg
9228a3b5472af80de17195a10e9ec291.jpg
efc9131c77a7a8cb86b1b869bdb69d59.jpg
1267621aaa3ceb82717057f7808386d4.jpg
. Used unistrut for the straight edge. logs are about 6 and a half feet long and 14" diameter red oak. I don't have any equipment to move the logs around. Just a can't hook and will power.

In the woods

The colder weather is ok saw cools quick. I don't sweat so bad. Get the logs as high as possible. My back is killing me got 19 boards cut it about 14-15 hours. Keep the chain sharp. Best advice I have get some equipment and a bandsaw mill. I did have fun but a lot of work.

In the woods

And be sure to get some weight on top. My first boards ended up pretty warped most likely because of that.

...Best advice I have get some equipment and a bandsaw mill.

That's exactly what a friend of mine told me. Lol

I like the the idea of using blocks to the set cut depth. 15 hours is a long day, don't think I could do it. Do you have any plans or ideas on what you are going to make with your wood?

I cut it over 2 today's and that time includes cutting the tops to firewood . not sure what to make yet. The boards I brought home I am taking to a local mill to get kiln dried. Thanks for all the advice. Hope the stacks work out as is there 3.5 hours away from my home. Next time I get up there I will get weight or straps no them.

In the woods

It appears the unistrut worked out for you. That is what I have planned on using if I ever get that far. As I can get some for free from work.

Link523's unistrut is the medium weight stuff and is excellent for lighter weight mills and when used over shorter lengths.

This was my first setup - its was narrow type of light gauge unistrut, but too light weight for more than about 2 ft of unsupported length. Eventually I managed to bend it and replaced it with the real stuff.
It's hard to see but there is a T-slot under the log rail

Rails-Underneath.jpg

I changed to HD Unistrut ; notice the use of threaded rod to get adjustable width. This =is handy when using longer bars.
Marrirails.jpg

The HD stuff is HEAVY, but will support along a much longer distance.
The verticals are also a type shallow Unistrut
DSC00157.jpg

I purchased 2 , 20ft lengths of the HD stuff and cut them in half so I can use a shorter set or combine for a longer set. Instead of cutting in half I wish I had cut 12:8 ft sections as the 10 ft sections are a tad short for many of the logs I cut.
16ftr.jpg

Thanks for that info. So to make sure I understand, the channel in the strut allows length adjustment through the use of a type of carriage bolt? I see some rectangular nuts available in my searches that I assume slide along the channel. Also, would the 1-5/8" square, 14 gauge be considered heavy duty? What did you use to cut the slots in your angle iron?

Back