first time stove owner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goof008

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a used stove this fall. The guy said the twine sealer around the doors is ok, but I know nothing about it. I have noticed lately that the door handle seems a bit looser than it was before. It has a tang on the inside of the door that rotates until it goes by the firebox and that is what holds it closed. I can only think that the twine is compressing a bit too much and that the resistance isn't there to hold it tight. Any ideas....am I even close?

Soometimes the door seal will shift in its groove, its possible to pull it out and reseat it in the center. See where the impression is made in relation to the center of the groove. Door alignment can also play a role in this, up/down.

The handle may also have some adjustment washers to compensate for the compression of the gasket which is a normal occurrence.

Depending on how old the stove it may need a new gasket. I had to replace the one on my old stove. It lost most of its compression and would not seal well anymore. If I remember correctly is was only about $10.

here's another question....I know my stove is not very efficient as it is from the mid '80s. Do the new more efficient ones create the white powder that settles on everything? Mine isn't all that bad because it's in the basement, but I was thinking of putting in an insert in over the summer, but don't really want the added mess in the living area.

If your stove/insert is tight you shouldn't have any ash landing any place. The only time that ash will escape will be when you pull the ash out. If your other stove is leaving white powder check to make sure that is is sealed good. When you open the door for reloading just crack it a slight bit, hold it there for a few seconds until the inside calms down. The ash will either go up the flue or settle back down in the fire box. Also setting the reload in instead off tossing will help keep ash down aswell.

To help off set the cost of a new unit, you can put the white powder in a baggie and sell it on the street. Call it ash and tell everyone that it is the new best thing. It'll cure what ale's ya;). On second thought ya probably shouldn't do that.

Owl

Latest posts

Back