Fishing line in saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natty Bumppo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was cutting small willows by a lake last week and wound some monofilament into the saw. Got it out of the chain and off the sprocket, but can't get it out of the nose sprocket on the bar (it's not a replaceable bar tip). Tried lubing it and tapping the sprocket to get it to move forward or backward. Wouldn't hardly budge. All the exposed mono strands have been broken in an effort to get it out of there so there's not really anything else to grab hold of. It's down around that gear but good. Don't know if it was hot enough to melt it or not. This is on a newer Echo CS501 we've only had 5 or 6 weeks. Anyone else ever deal with this issue?

Was cutting small willows by a lake last week and wound some monofilament into the saw. Got it out of the chain and off the sprocket, but can't get it out of the nose sprocket on the bar (it's not a replaceable bar tip). Tried lubing it and tapping the sprocket to get it to move forward or backward. Wouldn't hardly budge. All the exposed mono strands have been broken in an effort to get it out of there so there's not really anything else to grab hold of. It's down around that gear but good. Don't know if it was hot enough to melt it or not. This is on a newer Echo CS501 we've only had 5 or 6 weeks. Anyone else ever deal with this issue?
Heat with a propane torch then grease the sh!t outta it!

Been there several times. I used to work a veg management/flood control project in the local river. Fishing line was common but much worse was nylons stockings or nylon panties. Good luck clearing your bar.

It's pretty amazing how much damage stretched monofilament can do to a fishing reel, it'll break the spool. It can also do some serious damage to a prop shaft. I can't imagine how much damage it could do if wound onto a saw sprocket under tons of tension...got a spare crankshaft?

As a follow up to this: eventually gave up on getting the line out of the sprocket, so I bought a new Echo bar from the dealer (by the way, there was no fishing line sucked into the clutch). We don't do a lot of sawing during the warmer months so I didn't use it much. But after only a few uses, the sprocket in the bar nose froze up. I've never greased a bar sprocket and in 21 years of sawing have never had one freeze up on me. Just relied on the bar oil to provide lubrication. Bought a little grease gun for it but it appeared to be too little too late Couldn't get the gear to budge. Got on the Echo website to get the part number for the 18" bar and noticed 2 reviews of the product. Both reviewers said the same thing: bar nose froze up after only a little use. So today, I just received my Oregon versacut bar I ordered for it. Hopefully this will last.

The new bar sounds like a warranty issue. As for the old bar, hang onto it, and on some cold, winter night, you may get motivated to try the ‘rescue’, above.

It is a simple and interesting thing to do, even if you just take it apart to see what happened, and don’t put it back together.

I have seen this happen even with string..

Philbert

Latest posts

Back