Fiskars Axe is junk!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also bought a Fiskers X 27 to split some well season dead ash I had cut down to a size where I could get it in the trailer.
What a freaking joke it was as it kept bounceing off the round hardly makeing a mark. 3 days later I returned it.

Went back to my sledge and wedged when I couldn't get a round to split wiuth my 6 pound maul. Yes I know how to whittle the round rather than try to half it and quarter it.

Went to a husky dealer for a part and saw the husky splitting axe. Yes it has a wood handle on it but it works on that season dead standing ash i want to make it smaller to get to the power splitter.

You would think from the reviews of this splitting axe the rounds would just fall apart in fear as soon as it is carried into the woods. Well they didn't, in fact despite what it says on the handle about one hit split it isn't so. I have some 20 inch in dia 2 year seasoned Ash and the fiskars just bounced off it after leaving a tiny little slash mark, by the reviews you would think it had a laser guide so If in fact you needed to hit the round more than once it would hit in the same spot or in a line with that spot. That isn't so either you have to use your eye and hope your aim is good.
Good thing is it is lighter than my 8 pound splitting maul so you can afford the extra swings it takes.
I gave up on those big rounds and resorted to a couple of wedges and sledge. Moving on to some smaller stuff about 12 inches in dia it would some times split in one swing but most times took many more at least.

:D Al

i have x27 and isocore. The reason is that if I have nice straight grained wood then the x27 gets the job done far easier. Otherwise the Isocore is the ticket. Wood is different and some combinations of blade profile , weight and handle length will be optimum for different types.

I think they are a little over hyped. They are for sure tough and indestructable. But I can't help believe in basic physics, swing a bigger hammer at the same speed more kinetic energy. The shape of the head helps the Fiskars a little, look at the head of the Stihl splitting axe, my dealer said Fiskars makes both the Stihl Splitting axe and splitting maul, the axe head is pretty similar to the fiskars.
I think they have there place but dang sure aren't a magic wand. We use our 8 lbs old mauls just as much as the Fiskars.

Super old post but yeah I think you're right. Their durability is great, some of the characteristics of them are pretty though out. But like you said - their not a magic wand. It's all about finding the right tool for the right job. The axe won't do that for you LOL!

Latest posts

Back