Fiskars Super splitting axe review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

you could hollow that thing out, put some strings on it and play us a tune!!

I'm impressed with your video splitting straight grained rounds with the FSA. Can it handle a Y shaped piece? With my 8lb maul & wedge it usually takes several attempts to get started, then it succumbs, as in the attached pic.

I have never tried any of that stuff....I get my fir rounds from the sawmill....company I work for haul their lumber...I have "unlimited" access to free fire wood....lol

I donät think it is a relevant question, be ause if you have one of those Y's, once in a while.....who cares....chain saw works for me....

The main KEY with the FSS, is that it have to be RAZOR SHARP! Then it splits the wood fiber apart, and not pushing the fiber in front of the edge, like these 8# mauls....
:notrolls2:

I'm impressed with your video splitting straight grained rounds with the FSA. Can it handle a Y shaped piece? With my 8lb maul & wedge it usually takes several attempts to get started, then it succumbs, as in the attached pic.

I can bust through red oak crotches like you have with my FSS. It's all in where you begin to split. Notice the grain in the crotch it is arched (one of the strongest shapes in building). If you hit it from the top of the apex it won't split, but if you hit it at the bottom of the arch perpendicular to the center line it will split. Usually pretty easily. Then you just work around it like you show in the pic following the curved grain. I will admit that I've been splitting a bunch of hackberry and this method does not work very good on those crotches. Red oak it will do just fine.

I got one of these axes and used it today, worked good. I was surprised how easily it can be pulled out of the log after it gets stuck. It really shined in splitting the small diameter(< 5") pieces, since it's so light you can aim it more precisely and it doesn't take much swing speed to split them. I typically split my pieces pretty big for my wood stove and the red oak I had was on average 12" diameter so for the most part it was just splitting the log in half and that's it, no need for bungy cord or tire. It did really well on the larger diameter pieces too, split em with ease...can't imagine how easy some cherry would be where the grain is straight.

I was being super cautious after reading about some of the close calls people had. The axe is very sharp and since the handle is so short and it goes through most pieces with such ease, I can definitely see how it could come right down to your feet and do some damage. It seemed safer using no splitting block at all, since then the axe goes right down into the ground instead of potentially at your feet. The way I see it is, if you play it safe - feet spread apart, focused swing, some protective wear - then you'll be just fine aside from some kind of freak accident.

I got one of these axes and used it today, worked good. I was surprised how easily it can be pulled out of the log after it gets stuck. It really shined in splitting the small diameter(< 5") pieces, since it's so light you can aim it more precisely and it doesn't take much swing speed to split them. I typically split my pieces pretty big for my wood stove and the red oak I had was on average 12" diameter so for the most part it was just splitting the log in half and that's it, no need for bungy cord or tire. It did really well on the larger diameter pieces too, split em with ease...can't imagine how easy some cherry would be where the grain is straight.

I was being super cautious after reading about some of the close calls people had. The axe is very sharp and since the handle is so short and it goes through most pieces with such ease, I can definitely see how it could come right down to your feet and do some damage. It seemed safer using no splitting block at all, since then the axe goes right down into the ground instead of potentially at your feet. The way I see it is, if you play it safe - feet spread apart, focused swing, some protective wear - then you'll be just fine aside from some kind of freak accident.
The problem with smaller logs is that the "miss hit" ratio is higher, with potential accidents possible....so if you bundle smaller logs together, with a rope, bungee or whatever.....you can split smaller ones both faster and safer.....
<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MVSwICvpIVE&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MVSwICvpIVE&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Yeah clustering small ones together sounds like a good method. What kind of wood is that you're splitting in the vid, and is it straight grained? I couldn't get my red oak to split that easy, not for at least half the pieces. The grain was too curvy.

Yeah clustering small ones together sounds like a good method. What kind of wood is that you're splitting in the vid, and is it straight grained? I couldn't get my red oak to split that easy, not for at least half the pieces. The grain was too curvy.

It is 3-4" diameter branches from Douglas fir.....pretty straight grained stuff....bundle small ones really improve safety, and some of them barely, or can not, stand up alone....

Fiskars will add length.

I can't find the SSA 28" 4.25# in a retail store - box box, chain hardware, anywhere. A call to Fiskars confirmed I'll have to buy on-line. The best deal seems to be Amazon.com.

During the call I asked about a longer handle. They indicated it's not in the 2011 catalog but may be offered later in 2011. Too bad I can't wait that long.

Len R.
«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»
John Deere 30 (Kioritz) 14"
Old, small, cantankerous: cuts
rounds if you go round & round.
That's the saw, not me.

I can't find the SSA 28" 4.25# in a retail store - box box, chain hardware, anywhere. A call to Fiskars confirmed I'll have to buy on-line. The best deal seems to be Amazon.com

My local Ace Hardware have 6 Fiskars Super Splitter #7854 in stock just now....they sold out 2 weeks ago, but got new stock a few days later....

Not Around Here

Each local store has it's own ordering/stocking policy.
To buy local retail, I'd have to move!

I was eyeballing one of the splitting axes a while back, but the short handle put me off. Wonder if they'll come out with a reg. handle version?

I was eyeballing one of the splitting axes a while back, but the short handle put me off. Wonder if they'll come out with a reg. handle version?

look up the thread of the Fiskars sup0er sp0litter review....go and give it a try....its amazing....

Back