Fiskars Super splitting axe review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a super splitter. Don't believe the hype. Yes it splits, but I can do more with my 8lb maul. The short handle renders it almost useless to me. Not enough weight on the head, I could go on and on. Maybe easily split wood such as maple might be its specialty. It sure isn't the oak I have right now. I think I will send it back. :confused:

Just got a super splitter. Don't believe the hype. Yes it splits, but I can do more with my 8lb maul. The short handle renders it almost useless to me. Not enough weight on the head, I could go on and on. Maybe easily split wood such as maple might be its specialty. It sure isn't the oak I have right now. I think I will send it back. :confused:
I takes a total different swing attitude...the big arc "golf swing" do not work....there is a lot of post about the swing technique on this thread...and they are all pointing the same way....

If you don't want to use your hand wrists, I really think you should turn it back if you don't like it....YOU would probably do better with a 8-12# std maul....

It's not hype, just normal statistical variation at work. We all want to believe that our own experience is universal, that what is true for us, individually, is true for everyone, everywhere. But it's not. Some guys swear by the monster maul; I think they're a total waste of energy and gave mine away. A lot of us here have tried the Fiskars SS and love it. A few don't get on with it, that's just the way it is. I split oak, cherry, and locust, and haven't used my standard maul in months. You have to use the whip in your wrists to snap the head around, and you have to swing through the round. Without that extra speed the SS won't be all that impressive. It will split, but it won't outperform heavier mauls like it can when properly wielded. I've split several cords with the Fiskars since I got it, and, for me, it's all that and a bag of chips. YMMV.

Jack

fiskars axe

I wonder what i axe i should get i am 6'-6" tall and i have used the chopper1 and it does a nice job do ya think the fiskars is too short for me?

Every time this ole thread bounces back up to the top it amazes me. I see that it now is the #2 non sticky thread on the forum for total views, do I get a prize for starting it??:):)
Actualy AKKAMAAN gets the credit for the poplarity of the Fiskars SS axe on here I think. I still swing the old 8lb maul now and then to remind me how good I have it with the Fiskars SS.

I wonder what i axe i should get i am 6'-6" tall and i have used the chopper1 and it does a nice job do ya think the fiskars is too short for me?

No, it's not too short for you, if you swing it right. The SS is a whole design, not just a wedge on a stick. If it were longer it wouldn't cock your wrists as deeply or snap as quickly on the release. If you set that lag in your wrists and don't release it until your hands are below waist height, it doesn't matter how tall you are. I'd use a block, too, just for insurance.

Jack

Every time this ole thread bounces back up to the top it amazes me. I see that it now is the #2 non sticky thread on the forum for total views, do I get a prize for starting it??:):)
Actualy AKKAMAAN gets the credit for the poplarity of the Fiskars SS axe on here I think. I still swing the old 8lb maul now and then to remind me how good I have it with the Fiskars SS.

Thank you Butch (OH)!
It is flattering to get credit for such an awesome tools popularity. But I think we have to give The Fiskars Super Splitter Axe itself, the credit, together with YOU, Butch (OH), for starting this awesome thread.
This thread is impressively BIG and is almost hard to search for posts... LOL

I also have to give credit to all the posters that keep improving their advices, about use this tool, to get maximum performance out of it.

There are so many of them, so I am not going to mention any names, but still...I take my hat off for you guys.......:clap:

I will celebrate extra when this thread officially get "Sticky"......:cheers:

What is the best wood splitting maul/axe?

I am new at this, wood splitting. I plan on getting a wood stove this summer and I am looking
for a good splitting maul or axe. If I could get some suggestions on what is the best splitting axe and the best splitting maul it would be great. Thanks. :greenchainsaw:

I am new at this, wood splitting. I plan on getting a wood stove this summer and I am looking
for a good splitting maul or axe. If I could get some suggestions on what is the best splitting axe and the best splitting maul it would be great. Thanks. :greenchainsaw:

Welcome to A.S.!

You might have noticed that personal preference plays a role. You might also want to have a variety of tools for different situations. I don't have a powered splitter, and I split wood much smaller for my small fireplace insert than some guys with the big outdoor wood burners (OWB).

I use a sledge hammer and steel wedges for large and gnarley stuff, the Fiskars super splitter for mid-sized stuff, and the Fiskars axe for smaller stuff.

I have a few other things (regular axe, monster maul, etc. hanging around that I accumulated over the years, but the above is what I use the most.

Philbert

I still can't quite throw out my maul. The super splitter is definitely nice though.

Don't take this wrong.. but if 350+ posts about 1 particular tool doesn't give you a suggestion...lol

Where is the splitter made? I have a Fiskars shovel and it's made in China. I thought Fiskars was a Scandanavian company.

Where is the splitter made? I have a Fiskars shovel and it's made in China. I thought Fiskars was a Scandanavian company.

Fiskars is indeed a Scandinavian company, actually Finnish. But like every other company, they have outsourced some production to China.
I do strongly doubt, this FSS axe is manufactured in China, due to the depency on the high quality steel it needs.....but who knows....it should say on the packaging.....:givebeer:

Brought one today $108au well worth the $$.
I have a bunch of rounds that are an inch or 2 to big to get through the door, took the side off each with ease.
I find u can put more effort into where u want to hit rather than just going for the all out wind up swing u end up doing with a maul.
Had a go at a couple of "Y" sections, 3 wacks right in the top and all done:clap:

mine says "Made in Finland" on the pack.

My Fiskars from Baileys arrives today. We shall soon see how they perform.

(got two :))

Hi,

Just wanna say how glad I am for choosing this, somewhat more expensive option at the hardware store over some generic old-fashioned axes. Indeed it's like this thing contains magic dust that makes splitting logs a breeze. :)

Some observations: There are many people longing for a slightly longer handle, while many people also seem to use it to break rounds on the ground, without using a block. Perhaps there's a correlation. As my old folks taught me, firewood needs to be chopped on a block, otherwise the blade will hit the dirt (or in worse case your foot) and dull. Breaking really huge rounds that are difficult to even lift and place on a block could be easier to break on the ground with a longer-handled axe that's designed for breaking huge rounds on the ground, but that's not really what this tool is about.

Realistically, this axe is designed to split normal sized, 10-20" diameter firewood on a chopping block. For that purpose it's excellent, and I honestly hadn't ever missed a longer handle (I'm 6'2"). Indeed it looks like there'd be a market for Fiskars to sell an even longer and heavier axe for breaking the really big piece of wood without using a block, but that's just not precisely what this product is designed for. If it was longer and heavier, then splitting smaller firewood wouldn't be as effortless. There are always tradeoffs.

Latest posts

Back