Fiskars Super splitting axe review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that's too bad treepointer! Like I said, I picked it up and started using it like the old faithful Plumb we've had for years, I can never remember that ever coming close to my feet....but there's a nick in my boot as well, and my pant leg! I was working hard to slow it down, I was waiting for blood, I got lucky!

I have had no problems since I have altered my stance, slowed my swing down a little, and concentrated on aiming! Also, if the wood is about to come apart, I just really ease into it. I'm self employed, so I don't get sick days! Good luck with the axe!

And PS, no, they don't quite fall through the wood, but in some stuff, you just shake your head and saw "WOW, I love this axe!" :cheers:

I GOT MINE TODAY AND PROMPTLY CUT MY FOOT!!!

First to be safe...use the bungy rope method in my movie.....pieces dont fall down after split.....Second to be safer...hit the log on the "opposite" side, so you have most of the log between you and the axe...Third, to be safest...bundle several smaller rounds together with the bungy rope, and make a "big round".
If you hit smaller rounds one by one you risk to hit yourself , if you miss....
So hit all your small rounds as many times as you want, without picking any up from the ground....
And dont forget, Hit the opposite side of the big round......
See what I mean by watching my youtube video
watch

Stay safe, safer, safest
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You guys are making that Fiskars splitting axe sound like it just falls through the wood! It can't be that good.

By the way, where you get them at?

"It can't be that good."??

Havent even had to swing it that last few days, just leave it standing in the corner of the woodshed. I leave a few big rounds there every night and wake up to split and stacked stovewood.:cheers:

Last edited:
Hahaha if you have a Fiskars Axe and a MS361, you don't even have to leave your house! The 361 drives the truck, finds the wood, and cuts it while the Fiskars splits and loads it! :cheers:

First to be safe...use the bungy rope method in my movie.....pieces dont fall down after split.....Second to be safer...hit the log on the "opposite" side, so you have most of the log between you and the axe...Third, to be safest...bundle several smaller rounds together with the bungy rope, and make a "big round".
If you hit smaller rounds one by one you risk to hit yourself , if you miss....
So hit all your small rounds as many times as you want, without picking any up from the ground....
And dont forget, Hit the opposite side of the big round......
See what I mean by watching my youtube video
watch

Stay safe, safer, safest
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You are correct, but I had read all the tips here and on other sites and watched the movies. I simply went out to try it on a couple medium sized rounds before it got dark. The biggest problem was that I didn't compensate for the shorter length of the axe (I usually split with a much longer 8# maul). For the big rounds in your video, it seems that the axe swinger compensates for the Fiskars' shorter handle by using his back to extend the reach of the handle and lengthen the swinging arc--bigger arc means the axe head's path of travel would go into the ground farther away from the feet. I think that's why folks wish it had a longer handle.

Hahaha if you have a Fiskars Axe and a MS361, you don't even have to leave your house! The 361 drives the truck, finds the wood, and cuts it while the Fiskars splits and loads it! :cheers:

Good one. LOL

Hope you heal well Treepointer.

I got the Fiskars this spring and think it does real well. I'm a smaller guy so the lighter weight for me helps a lot. Plus I'm closer to the ground so the danger is less, and I put it up on a block. Once you get your swing down, it's the berries.

fiskars.jpg

Kevin

Is it really the design?

Fiskars in general make great stuff and I'm not knocking it a bit. I was just wondering as I was reading this thread, though, is it Fiskars superior tool that is the secret or maybe that we are just trying a lighter tool for the job. Maybe that's why there standard sizes are smaller, they don't want you to go overboard on weight? I've probably split more this year than I ever have in my life and I've noticed that I've been grabing my single bit more than the splitting maul or my ChopperOne. I've been doing mostly red oak and black walnut and the single bit axe seems to be less work and more productive. I think who ever mentioned being more accurate with a lighter tool is on to it for the most part. Have to admit, that splitting axe looks really nice! jmho

Hit_here.JPG

Work like this to prevent accidents. Use chopping block if you prefere to.
I bundle 3 pieces 10-12" each, it takes just a moment to split it all into small pieces. Very important the smaller rounds you have to split. I've had 15-20 smaller ones in a bundle on top of my 22" chopping block. Never had to pick up a single piece from the ground while splitting.:popcorn:

...is it Fiskars superior tool that is the secret or maybe that we are just trying a lighter tool for the job...

First...fiskars have like the other scandinavian brands, DEEP tradition in steel, SKF, Sandvik, Boliden, Bacho(Snap On Today) etc etc, are all from very old Swedish iron mining culture. I would say the finest iron ore in the world.
Second...Scandinavians have made steel and iron tools (and weapons) for almost 1000 years. GREAT Disign, look at Fiskars scissors....razor sharp and easy to sharpen.
Third...If you can double the axe speed from taking half weight of, you still double the SPLITTING FORCE
Fourth... there is a trend, people have discoverd the power of optimized weighted swing tools, thats what's spreading around here at this site...
Fifth...warranty and liability, and maintenance, Nothing is more outstanding than, "IMPOSSIBLE" to break and a razor sharp tool
Sixth...Honestly,I think you can make the same job with a similar designed axe for half price from CHINA:popcorn: :givebeer:

Last edited:
I have the chopping axe and the super splitting axe. Using them safely required me to do a lot of what was already mentioned, mostly because the handle is shorter:

1. Raise the round up a little higher
2. Stand closer to the round
3. Hit the center, or the far side of the round -- use the wood to block that sharp axe head from getting anywhere near your legs.
4. Let the axe do the work for you -- don't try to muscle it through any pieces. This will just result in a slip and an injury.

The danger for me was being so used to swinging a heavy maul. The lighter weight of the Fiskars tools fooled me into thinking that I'd have to wind up for a bigger swing. I quickly found out that the splitting axe does a great job with about half of the effort, as long as I worked with it, instead of trying to force it to work with me.

First...fiskars have like the other scandinavian brands, DEEP tradition in steel, SKF, Sandvik, Boliden, Bacho(Snap On Today) etc etc, are all from very old Swedish iron mining culture. I would say the finest iron ore in the world.
Second...Scandinavians have made steel and iron tools (and weapons) for almost 1000 years. GREAT Disign, look at Fiskars scissors....razor sharp and easy to sharpen.
Third...If you can double the axe speed from taking half weight of, you still double the SPLITTING FORCE
Fourth... there is a trend, people have discoverd the power of optimized weighted swing tools, thats what's spreading around here at this site...
Fifth...warranty and liability, and maintenance, Nothing is more outstanding than, "IMPOSSIBLE" to break and a razor sharp tool
Sixth...Honestly,I think you can make the same job with a similar designed axe for half price from CHINA:popcorn: :givebeer:

Ok, hold up, here's what I said earlier; "Fiskars in general make great stuff and I'm not knocking it a bit." I wasn't suggesting that there tool isn't superior for the job that it does, only that there choice in size has more to do with it's effectiveness, also as you mentioned in the third and forth points.:agree2: As a matter of fact, I'll be looking for one to try in the future now that I have seen the picture that someone posted earlier.

I also want to try one of these, looks like it uses a similar priciple as the fiskars with a narrow start at edge and fluted at the handle. You may want to check the tag for where it's made, not sure if it's U.S. or not. I have an Ames True Temper in a single bit and have been very happy over all. :cheers:

attachment.php

Haven't tried mine yet that I got for Xmas. I've heard alot of good and bad stuff about these, makes me sure that I will use lots of caution!!! I've used mostly the monster maul from Sotz (old school 17 lb'er), as well as the splitter. I'll have to get a very high block to split on, we'll see how this works.
5'8" so I may not be as far away as some.

I also want to try one of these, looks like it uses a similar priciple as the fiskars with a narrow start at edge and fluted at the handle. You may want to check the tag for where it's made, not sure if it's U.S. or not. I have an Ames True Temper in a single bit and have been very happy over all. :cheers:

attachment.php

I have both , and prefer the Fiskars , the big one is good for bigger wood , but I haven't found any thing the Fiskars can't handle , and the Ames True Temper is made in CHINA

Made in China.......LOL

Probably has lead in it. One good whack and and it mushrooms.

TS

I thoroughly cracked the handle on my True Temper axe shown in the above posts. It felt 'funny' all the sudden and I looked at it and it was spider webbed all over the business end of the handle.

Went to Lowes and they called True Temper. They are sending one directly to my house for free.:clap:

Other than that...it's ok. It splits frozen wood like a champ, but the flimsy handle and it's ability to get stuck in every piece it doesn't split make me dislike it.

axe

I used that Ames super splitter in the photo for a year or two before getting a splitter. Worked much better than my other axes. I do have a small hand fiskars hand axe for camping though. The Ames has an great replacement warranty though. I had to use it once. Free shipping too.

Back