Fiskars Super splitting axe review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fiskars is a global company. I see many of their products that are made in China(scissors, pruners, etc) , but many of them are made other places. I don't know for sure, but I suspect the low price on Amazon is just a sale, not a sign that production has moved further east.

6 months ago it said MADE IN FINLAND on the Axe, I am surprised if that have changed....they need the SWEDISH steel in it...

+1 I Bought one from Amazon about 6 months ago (at the older price) and it says Finland on it. Does anybody have one at the new price to look?

I bought a Super Splittin axe from Amazon a few weeks ago for $33, and it is stamped made in Finland. I also have the pro splittin axe from Fiskars, and have been using that for some time now, but the heavier super splitter certainly has it's place for me depending what kind of wood I am cuttin through.

Fiskars 7854

I just ordered my Fiskars 7854 from Amazon .com for $39.95, free delivery and no sales tax. Now if it just lives up to its reputation, I can finally retire my Monster Maul. Or at least, give it, and me, a break!!

I've found the two are complimentary instead of stand alone. Mega is great for those huge splits. I've bounced the super splitter off a few rounds. Let the mega hit those. Just my take.
Chad

The big monster-mega mauls will split the tough stuff better but they are hazardous to your bone and joint health if you use them to much.
Fiskars has about the best power to weight ratio as far as I can tell and is gentle on the bones and joints. I like having a monster maul around for splitting through tough wood I don't want to slice up with my chainsaw usually cause of foreign matter that is hard on the chain.

I've been using the MM exclusively for almost 30 years. I have one of the original orange ones made by a company in Cleveland, and it has never let me down. But Bushwaker is right, it does take its toll, especially now that I'm officially a senior citizen!!
The MM design is great, but I've actually thought about drilling some weight out of the head. I have a second one, so if I screw it up, no big deal: I'll just loan that one out.

Fiskar's Super Splitting Axe

I just got to spend my first weekend splitting wood with my new Fiskar's Super Splitter, made in Finland. No chinese marking on mine!!

First thing to remember - Be Careful!!! This thing is sharp. Just ask the Codura nylon on the sides of my steel toes.

Overall, I was pleased, especially with its 4-1/2# weight, compared to my old, reliable, 15# Monster Maul. The SS feels like a toy compared to the MM, but there are a couple things you need to keep in mind when using it. First, always aim for the far side of the log; that way if you do swing short, you still have wood to absorb the impact, and not your feet or legs. Second, since you don't need a round-house wind-up to use the SS, you can stand with your feet spread apart, and square to the axis of your swing. Again, lessen the chance of contact with a body part. And finally, when working on big, straight-grained logs, I've found taking slabs off the outside works better than trying to split it completely in half right away. If you want to do that, the MM works much better.

In straight grained wood like cherry, this thing is faster than my MM, and probably faster than most conventional power splitters, and the exercise isn't bad either. For $40, I would recommend adding one to your splitter collection.

First, always aim for the far side of the log; that way if you do swing short, you still have wood to absorb the impact, and not your feet or legs.

+1 very important comment.....I have been advocating this on my video for almost 3 years now....this can be hard to do with smaller sized logs...
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WoAOYLMU1Wc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0xcc2550&amp;color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WoAOYLMU1Wc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0xcc2550&amp;color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>
.... unless you use the bungee cord to bundle the small ones to the size of a big one!
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MVSwICvpIVE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x234900&amp;color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MVSwICvpIVE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x234900&amp;color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>
Second, since you don't need a round-house wind-up to use the SS, you can stand with your feet spread apart, and square to the axis of your swing.
+1 again....very important for accuracy and safety....use short swing and a hand vrist snap....

Back