Fiskars Super splitting axe review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fiskars Super Splitter

I got one at the Ace Outlet website and have been using it for a little under a month. What everyone says is about right- it splits most anything and I'm a lot less tired (than swinging my 8# maul).

It is razor sharp and I've cut myself already. :( I have started using a taller round to split with as well as put an old tire around it (the round) to avoid any mis-cues. Overall I'd say it is a good deal for the quality of the axe and how it saves me time.

I'm 6'3" and the shorter handle doesn't bother me as much as I suspected. You do have to change how you split wood a bit, but again, I'm more efficient and less tired after a few hours of splitting.

I agree with Peacock,
I like mine more on the lighter smaller splits because it's easier to pinpoint your hits, however I prefer the maul when it's splitting real rounds. I don't like that the "fiskars" gets stuck constantly in the big stuff. I use both but if the maul broke I would immediately replace it where I would eventually get to replacing the fiskars...
Angelo

I picked up a fiskars. Obviously noones splittin' the same elm, oak and narly maples that I am. I used it for 10 mins. and hung it on the wall.

Mike

Ok, using some of the suggestions hear I've been using my Fiskars cautiously again.

Last two days I've spent an hour a day whacking away at a large ash -- probably about 24" diameter since by Stihl 039 with a 20" bar couldn't go through it from just one side :) It's been down about three years courtesy of the State widening the road in front of my house, and this is one of the last and by far biggest pieces from that collection.

The biggest thing I find is I aim the axe on the wood first, then only lift a bit more then head height, and come down square. It's definitely not the John Henry driving blow I use with a maul usually.

1) I need absolute concentration. I still managed twice to be closer then comfort, but I'm not in abject fear of my toes any more.

2) One piece that I just couldn't get a purchase point made with my maul to use a wedge-and-sledge the Fiskars made a nice spot to pop in a wedge to split the log in half.

3) Once the logs were in half, the Fiskars made a nice starting crack at least. I'd make three or four cracks in the half log, then use the maul to split them off. Then a few more cracks to finish up the quarter log and maul it into pieces. Many of these were still too big for my stove, but the Fiskars then made short work of turning those into really nice sized hunks.

4) It'll be nice once I'm back up to my fighting form :) Haven't had to split any wood in a couple years even though I enjoy doing it for recreation. And it's cheaper then a gym :) Best health I was ever in was one summer living at my sister's, I'd come home from the white collar job and go up on the hill where there was a landing full of tree tops. Got to the point I was doing about a quarter cord in a couple hours -- from pulling a tree into position with tow straps and chains with my S-10, cut it, split it by hand, load it, haul it down to the barn, and maybe get some help from my nieces stacking it there.

Yes, as well evidenced by the side levers penetrating deeply into the piece. Some of the toughest pieces I've split, were punky dead elm. I'd take a Fiskars Super Splitter over the 'chopper 1' any day.

TS

Fiskars.

I've split about 8 cords with my fiskars. I have the pro-splitting axe and the super-splitting axe. I've broke two of them. DO NOT use the adze (hammer side) end of the axes to drive steel wedges! The handles will break and you will experience the worst vibration pains you've ever felt. These are a great tool for those who split by hand. They do not replace the hickory handled traditional splitting axes however as they are not near as versatile for driving wedges etc. I really really love my FISKARS. I can swing the 2 1/4 lb pro-splitting fiskars all day long. If you only buy one Fiskars...buy the Super Splitting Axe. Slightly bigger then the pro but splits bigger rounds much much better.

http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&langId=-1&q=axe&baseLibrary=Garden&showOnly=products

I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with the fiskars axe. I am new to the OWB and wood cutting process, but I can't figure it should be this easy. I have some 2' pcs of oak that we cut this summer and this thing knocks em out. I can't just whack it in the middle I have to work around, but it does the trick. I was actually swinging way too hard at first. It was just flying through the wood. I will def purchase a couple different brands to experiment. I have learned so much this year it isn't funny. I was actually late in getting my wood and stove hooked up so I have had about 2+ feet of snow to deal with all year. Hardly any of my wood got stacked so I have had to dig it out of the pile. Fun. I have really enjoyed each night splitting wood. As I have been reading and totally understand. It is addictive. :) Enough babbling.

I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with the fiskars axe. I am new to the OWB and wood cutting process, but I can't figure it should be this easy. I have some 2' pcs of oak that we cut this summer and this thing knocks em out. I can't just whack it in the middle I have to work around, but it does the trick. I was actually swinging way too hard at first. It was just flying through the wood. I will def purchase a couple different brands to experiment. I have learned so much this year it isn't funny. I was actually late in getting my wood and stove hooked up so I have had about 2+ feet of snow to deal with all year. Hardly any of my wood got stacked so I have had to dig it out of the pile. Fun. I have really enjoyed each night splitting wood. As I have been reading and totally understand. It is addictive. :) Enough babbling.

I split 6 rounds tonight during sundown. Those fiskars are great. Just watch your shins. I wish mine were a few inches longer. I would hate to be any taller than 5'9 using these things. It makes me feel less odd seeing someone else say they also enjoy splitting wood. There is something extremely satisfying about it. Almost addictive. I always have a few rounds laying around to split before I come in for the night.....just makes me sleep better for some weird reason.

Last edited:
It seems almost unanimous that we'd like a longer handle, [EDIT] based on those who were interested enough to post a follow-up
That's valuable marketing information for Fiskars. Take a moment to drop them a line, given enough interest it's very possible we could see another model added to their line.

Here's a link to their customer feedback form:
http://www.fiskars.com/content/garden_en_us/Garden/contactus/contactrequestform

This is the email I sent them this morning:
Hello,
I love Fiskars' Super Splitting Axe, it's a superb tool. However, those of us of larger stature would very much appreciate a longer handle. Please seriously consider offering one; I suspect you'd sell plenty.

The following link is from a discussion on ArboristSite.com, probably the foremost online forum for arborists and serious firewood handlers. Note how the ensuing discussion focuses on the S.S.Axe's handle length and the near unanimous agreement that a longer handle would be appreciated. I think this sizable crowd would quickly find the addition of a longer handle model to be the perfect splitting tool.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=81221&highlight=fiskars

Regards,

-Eric S.

Last edited:
I emailed 'em. Was told they get that all the time and they might look into it.

BS

I'm sure they've been hearing it for years and aren't about to retool. I thought the Nordic peoples were big like us? If so, then why is it made for the stature of asian and hispanic peoples?

I sure would hate to find out the shorter handle is all about the life time warranty....maybe they figure it wouldn't hold up with the longer handle?

As far as I'm concerned, the handle length is the only thing keeping it from fully deserving the word 'super' in the title. Give us 3 or 4 measly inches and I wouldn't hesitate to call it super.

TS

I am a fan of the SS axe. My technique to keep the axe from my feet and shins is to take a wider stance and bend my knees when the axe comes down to the wood's level. This puts a lot of power behind the swing so you have to exert less effort with your arms and shoulders. It also lowers the center of the axes path which makes it less likely to rotate into the foot/shin area. There have been several excellent suggestions too.

If there was one with the longer handle and maybe an extra half pound or so I'd be in line to get one.

I'm sure they've been hearing it for years and aren't about to retool. I thought the Nordic peoples were big like us? If so, then why is it made for the stature of asian and hispanic peoples?

Maybe they have a different perspective on 'proper splitting technique"?

Not trying to start a feud here on what that is, but your comment made me think of Japanese woodworking chisels and saws that are different from western style tools, because of the way that they are used in Japanese culture. Just like there appear to be differences in felling techniques between east coast and west coast loggers in this forum.

Of course, if they wanted to to sell more over here . . .

I bought one of the current ones on sale today, mostly due to the positive posts in this thread. I will keep the handle length in mind as I use it.

Philbert

:popcorn:
I thought the Nordic peoples were big like us? If so, then why is it made for the stature of asian and hispanic peoples?

I sure would hate to find out the shorter handle is all about the life time warranty....maybe they figure it wouldn't hold up with the longer handle?

As far as I'm concerned, the handle length is the only thing keeping it from fully deserving the word 'super' in the title. Give us 3 or 4 measly inches and I wouldn't hesitate to call it super.

TS
Ever heard about the VIKINGS...big swedes and danes...actually scandinavians are bigger than americans in average....
BUT...here is the deal...In scandinavia we don't split 24+inch rounds very often....not even 12+ inches is very common.... firewood logs average about 6-8 inches diameter....so there is a differens in "firewood culture"....
Logging industri is paying good money for everything over 2" diameter, if you can provide at least a third truck load (1 large stack about 500cubft)....so there is not a huge supply of big diameter logs......like it is here...Fiskars(Fin)and Gränsfors(Swe) etc are companies with deep, 100´s of years, tradition in forged and cast iron....so asking them for longer handles is like asking US to convert to metric system....it will take some conciderations...
oh well it´s not that bad, I´m sure they will respond positively on a strong demand from US...
About the life time warranty....i´m sure they Fiskars can stick to it, even on a 36" handle....it´s that good....:popcorn:

Back