Fiskars Super splitting axe review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My review of the Fiskars SS is not very good. For me the short handle is the biggest problem, which in turn renders it useless to me. I will swing it a couple times a year just to remind myself that I really don't like it. Also I don't get the same pop out of the wood as I do my maul. I use the Stihl PA 80, coming in at 6.6 lbs. I like the hickory handle on the PA 80 dampening a good bit of vibration.

attachment.php

My review of the Fiskars SS is not very good. For me the short handle is the biggest problem, which in turn renders it useless to me. I will swing it a couple times a year just to remind myself that I really don't like it. Also I don't get the same pop out of the wood as I do my maul. I use the Stihl PA 80, coming in at 6.6 lbs. I like the hickory handle on the PA 80 dampening a good bit of vibration.

attachment.php

I am 5 '9 so it is perfect for me. I imagine if a maul had a sharp edge like the fiskars it would be just as good. But you cannot beat the lifetime warranty and the weight.

I bought both the splitting axe and the much lighter chopping axe. I also have a maul, but haven't used it since getting the Fiskars. You wouldn't think the featherlight chopping axe would split, but it blasts through straight grained stuff. I suspect its the speed combined with the sharp edge that gets it done. If the chopping axe doesn't get it done, the splitting axe usually does. If it doesn't get the job done in a few swings, the chainsaw gets the duty.:censored:

I've found that using a large round of oak for a splitting block lessens the worry about hitting myself with either Fiskars. Quite often, the split wood blasts away, and the Fiskars are stuck in the splitting block.

I highly recommend both of these!:spam:

hi i am a 13 year old kid 5 foot three and have been splitting wood for a while with the ol' sledge hammer and wedge. I have finally decided to http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/greenchainsaw.gifgo with the fiskars axe do you think it is a good choice and if possible any tips?:greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

I love them as well!

My older ones are more than 10 years old, no maintenanse except sharpening now and then.

A longer handle would be nice some times, but I usually put the wood to be split on a 24" or so block anyway, and then it is not a problem.

I also use steel-toed boots when splitting, based on experience...:jawdrop:

nice job what kind of wood r u splitting?:chainsaw:

Good call about the safety shoes!!

This AKKAMAAN technique prevents dangerous miss hits....See picture....and my video....
Hit_here.JPG

Wrap a bungy cord around a big round, that way it will not fall apart while splitting.
If you have smaller rounds, use the bungy cord around a bundle of them, split them all and carry them all toghether to the stack

Heavy big rounds can be split on the ground, other wise always use a chopping block for all splitting

Stay Safe, Safer, Safest

hi i have seen your videos but i have one question WHAT KIND OF WOOD ARE THOSE ROUNDS? :dizzy:

Looks like red oak to me, at least for the big rounds.

As for the bungee technique, my experience is this: Buy a few extra bungees, cause until you develop good accuracy you'll nick a few and a nicked bungee likes to fly apart :)

attachment.php

Sure is cheaper than a gym membership. Always carry it with me in the truck when cutting wood for getting those bigger rounds down to a mangable size.

one question (whell actually 2) what kind of wood should i split and two i dont have a chain saw so how is it to be able to cut your own rounds? because using the old bowsaw takes two hours for three rounds :cry:

one question (whell actually 2) what kind of wood should i split and two i dont have a chain saw so how is it to be able to cut your own rounds? because using the old bowsaw takes two hours for three rounds :cry:

The old bowsaw? That was my childhood! Well that and a two man crosscut saw that I used with my brothers. My parents didn't trust 4 boys with any power equipment other than a lawnmower and string trimmer. Heaven forbid if we brought home a .22 rifle! A little bowsaw cutting was fun. Hand sawing a lot of firewood is tedious, so I hear you.

Maybe ask your parents if they can buck the logs for you with a chainsaw. Maybe they can ask a neighbor or friend with a chainsaw to come over and buck some logs so you may split them. I know that I'd buck some logs for an industrious neighbor who wishes to split them.

I've split black cherry and sugar maple (among many other species) with the Fiskars Super Splitting Axe. The cherry splits fine. Sugar maple usually splits well, too, but it's a lot harder wood and some of the less straight pieces and trunks are tough for any splitting axe/maul.

Last edited:
The old bowsaw? That was my childhood! Well that and a two man crosscut saw that I used with my brothers. My parents didn't trust 4 boys with any power equipment other than a lawnmower and string trimmer. Heaven forbid if we brought home a .22 rifle! A little bowsaw cutting was fun. Hand sawing a lot of firewood is tedious, so I hear you.

Maybe ask your parents if they can buck the logs for you with a chainsaw. Maybe they can ask a neighbor or friend with a chainsaw to come over and buck some logs so you may split them. I know that I'd buck some logs for an industrious neighbor who wishes to split them.

I've split black cherry and sugar maple (among many other species) with the Fiskars Super Splitting Axe. The cherry splits fine. Sugar maple is a lot harder and some of the less straight pieces and trunks are tough for any splitting axe.

hey i know how u feel but thanks (ohh by the way) the twenty two rifle allready got me 2!

I've split black cherry and sugar maple (among many other species) with the Fiskars Super Splitting Axe. The cherry splits fine. Sugar maple is a lot harder and some of the less straight pieces and trunks are tough for any splitting axe.

Cutting firewood by hand is a rough way to do it. It's not so bad for smaller stuff, under 5'' say, but it's really not productive or worth your time for stuff bigger than that...

Back