Fiskars Super splitting axe review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucky Dog! Have fun with them!
snipersmilie.gif

trust me weve got more than that but i wont go that far......do you have any tips about splitting because my birthday is in a week and guess what im getting...the fiskars super splitting axe and because i have been using the sledge hammer and wedge it will be new to me

trust me weve got more than that but i wont go that far......do you have any tips about splitting because my birthday is in a week and guess what im getting...the fiskars super splitting axe and because i have been using the sledge hammer and wedge it will be new to me

AKKAMAAN has already posted good tips for the Fiskars and essentially other sharp splitting axes. Wear gloves, safety glasses/goggles, and steel toed boots if you have a pair. Long pants and even soccer shin guards can save you when the odd log flies in your direction. Take a break/quit when you're tired (injuries happen when you push the limit). Leave the really tough parts of the rounds for another method (hydraulic splitter, chainsaw, heavy maul, spike & sledge) or simply burn them whole. Putting too much effort into hand splitting the tough pieces can cause tendinitis and other joint injuries.

Last edited:
AKKAMAAN has the tips for the Fiskars and essentially other sharp splitting axes. Wear gloves, safety glasses/goggles, and steel toed boots if you have a pair. Long pants and even soccer shin guards can save you when the odd log flies in your direction. Take a break/quit when you're tired (injuries happen when you push the limit). Leave the really tough parts of the rounds for another method (hydraulic splitter, chainsaw, heavy maul, spike & sledge) or simply burn them whole. Putting too much effort into hand splitting the tough pieces can cause tendinitis and other joint injuries.

i have all of those but the shin guards what do you use to split?

Watch those pic drawings....watch my movies...dont over sving, spred your legs a little for better balance, sving with a short back sving, again DONT OVER SVING, practice accuracy with short sving and use a little vrist snap.... hit the back of the bundle........setup smaller rounds in a bundle tied with a rope...the bungy will give some flex in the bundle, but is not necessary...DONT hit smaller rounds one alone on the chopping block...ALLWAYS bundled....if you are not a bigger guy...I recommend an axe with shorter shaft...
Good Luck and Be SAFE, SAFER and SAFEST

i have all of those but the shin guards what do you use to split?

4.25 lb Fiskars Super Splitting Axe
8 lb splitting maul for some of the tuffies.
10 lb sledge hammer & splitting wedgh for tuffies.

I pretty much don't use the wedges anymore. They are too dangerous, IMO, because they can (and have) flown in unexpected directions. I quit using the grenade spike because of a close call some years ago.

New addition: A tow behind hydraulic splitter should be in the barn by the end of next week. ;)

I don't use the shin guards, but some here on AS do. I sometimes keep my chainsaw chaps on over my jeans when splitting--pretty good protection.

Last edited:
Watch those pic drawings....watch my movies...dont over sving, spred your legs a little for better balance, sving with a short back sving, again DONT OVER SVING, practice accuracy with short sving and use a little vrist snap.... hit the back of the bundle........setup smaller rounds in a bundle tied with a rope...the bungy will give some flex in the bundle, but is not necessary...DONT hit smaller rounds one alone on the chopping block...ALLWAYS bundled....if you are not a bigger guy...I recommend an axe with shorter shaft...
Good Luck and Be SAFE, SAFER and SAFEST

i have seen the pictures and the shows but in your opinion is it a good axe to invest into? will it split well and perhaps exceptionally and if you have any pictures would you be kind enough to post them?

4.25 lb Fiskars Super Splitting Axe
8 lb splitting maul for some of the tuffies.
10 lb sledge hammer & splitting spikes for tuffies.

I pretty much don't use the spikes anymore. They are too dangerous, IMO, because they can (and have) flown in unexpected directions. I quit using the grenade spike because of a close some years ago.

New addition: A tow behind hydraulic splitter should be in the barn by the end of next week. ;)

I don't use the shin guards, but some here on AS do. I sometimes keep my chainsaw chaps on over my jeans when splitting--pretty good protection.

i have asked akkamaan but in your perspective is the 4.25 lb splitter a worthwile axe

i have asked akkamaan but in your perspective is the 4.25 lb splitter a worthwile axe

I bought my Fiskars 4.25# super splitter last year, My brother in law used to be the sledge/maul kinda guy...he tried it and immediately went to the ACE hardware store and bought his own....
My good neighbor Bob is retired and VERY careful with money. He has a very fragile back dont last for more than an hour out there. He used his 8-10# maul. When his back went out again, I walked over to help him split for an hr, when done I left my Fiskars with him, "try it out till tomorrow!!"
NextBob is very conservative and I didnt expect him to like it, even less spent almost 50$to by one.....
Next day I walked over to Bob's house and asked him how he was doing with the Fiskars tryout....It's standing by the shed he said....I tried it for 5 minutes, he said...Did you like it???....yea...I went straight and bought my own....
It is no risk to buy this axe...IF you dont like it you'll get your money back selling it to your neighbor....also LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!!

one question (whell actually 2) what kind of wood should i split and two i dont have a chain saw so how is it to be able to cut your own rounds? because using the old bowsaw takes two hours for three rounds :cry:

TreePointer pretty much awnsered for me. The wood in the picture is ash and elm that I had cut up earlier this year/late last year. If you want to learn how to use a chainsaw, get a good pair of chaps, a helmet and some steel-toed boots and your parents permission first.

Last edited:
I LOVE Fiskars products! I got the Super splitting Axe for my birthday in January, paid like 50.00 on Amazon (no other place around here carries them, Sears has Fiskars but not the Super Splitter). Anyways, I absolutely recommend this to anybody! I own the entire line of Fiskars axes and am looking for the new 8" handled hatchet that is out now to take hiking/camping with me. My 8 lb maul hasn't seen any action since fall, don't need it.

I bought my Fiskars 4.25# super splitter last year, My brother in law used to be the sledge/maul kinda guy...he tried it and immediately went to the ACE hardware store and bought his own....
My good neighbor Bob is retired and VERY careful with money. He has a very fragile back dont last for more than an hour out there. He used his 8-10# maul. When his back went out again, I walked over to help him split for an hr, when done I left my Fiskars with him, "try it out till tomorrow!!"
NextBob is very conservative and I didnt expect him to like it, even less spent almost 50$to by one.....
Next day I walked over to Bob's house and asked him how he was doing with the Fiskars tryout....It's standing by the shed he said....I tried it for 5 minutes, he said...Did you like it???....yea...I went straight and bought my own....
It is no risk to buy this axe...IF you dont like it you'll get your money back selling it to your neighbor....also LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!!

This just got me to buy one. (eBay $40 shipped. the only seller acecloseouts). They have a dozen or so left.:cheers:

You'll love the simple, yet elegant, efficiency.....just don't get too ambitious, like I did, and tear a shoulder muscle.

TS

This just got me to buy one. (eBay $40 shipped. the only seller acecloseouts). They have a dozen or so left.:cheers:

Well, I am not telling any BS, it is all 2 true stories...:clap:
I do wish I was under comission from Fiskars...:cry:

I have had my hickory mauls outside, by the log pile for years and I have also broke a few rotten handles. Now I dont have to worry about that any more, FISKARS wont rotten and wont break, and can be left outside in snow and rain, it wont even rust.:cheers:myzamboni, Good Choice!!

Well, I am not telling any BS, it is all 2 true stories...:clap:
I do wish I was under comission from Fiskars...:cry:

I have had my hickory mauls outside, by the log pile for years and I have also broke a few rotten handles. Now I dont have to worry about that any more, FISKARS wont rotten and wont break, and can be left outside in snow and rain, it wont even rust.:cheers:myzamboni, Good Choice!!

I agree! My sledge, mauls, and splitting axes are all fiberglass/composite now. They're lighter, and no longer replacing handles makes me :biggrinbounce2:

As I get occasional vibrations even with the Fiskars, I like to wrap the handle with cushioned grip tape, works well.

TS

As I get occasional vibrations even with the Fiskars, I like to wrap the handle with cushioned grip tape, works well.
TS

Good idea with the tape! I use fir pitch and gloves, great grip!
If possible, try an FSS axe at a friend or neighbor, to see if problem remains or not.....Take axe back to store for a new one if it vibrates....:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back