Fiskars x27 or Husqvarna S2800

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Witterings

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been searching for comparisons on the Fiskars x27 and the Husqvarna S2800 and found a few threads but they were 4/5 years old and thought by now people would have had a lot more time to use them / compare and opinions may have changed.

In the previous threads the consensus seemed to be that the S 2800 maybe cut harder "more challenging" rounds easily in comparison but quite a few people didn't like the shorter handle and perceived threat to toes / shins so preferred the X 27 instead.

Really just looking to see what people are using and overall thoughts and if you've experience of both then better still ... I'm 5'7 but am quite comfortable using my axe which is the same length as the X 27 and most of the time chop on a log rather than the ground although that may possibly change.

@svk has some experience here. My experience with the s2800 comes from swinging his a few times.

Personally, for the money, I think the x27 is great. Better warranty too. That said, I think the Husqvarna splits better. It doesn't have the cheeks that the x27 does, which I find get stuck (been meaning to grind them off, but haven't done it yet). I don't know what the gransfors bruks maul costs these days, but if you're willing to spend over $100 on the Husqvarna, check that one out. It's my personal favorite.

@svk has some experience here. My experience with the s2800 comes from swinging his a few times.

Personally, for the money, I think the x27 is great. Better warranty too. That said, I think the Husqvarna splits better. It doesn't have the cheeks that the x27 does, which I find get stuck (been meaning to grind them off, but haven't done it yet). I don't know what the gransfors bruks maul costs these days, but if you're willing to spend over $100 on the Husqvarna, check that one out. It's my personal favorite.

I did see he'd been a contributor in the previous threads I found.

The bit I forgot to mention, one of the treads someone was saying how good the Husky was but then right at the end of the thread came back and posted again saying he could no longer recommend it as he found it got stuck way too often so interesting to hear you say similar about the X 27 .

Unless they're copies the S 2800 can be found for £45 over here, I thought maybe they'd just dropped the price because quite a few comments in the older threads was saying it as quite a lot more than the Fiskars but now doesn't appear so.

I did see he'd been a contributor in the previous threads I found.

The bit I forgot to mention, one of the treads someone was saying how good the Husky was but then right at the end of the thread came back and posted again saying he could no longer recommend it as he found it got stuck way too often so interesting to hear you say similar about the X 27 .

Unless they're copies the S 2800 can be found for £45 over here, I thought maybe they'd just dropped the price because quite a few comments in the older threads was saying it as quite a lot more than the Fiskars but now doesn't appear so.

I see that. Honey bros has them pretty cheap, but they're in the UK. If I could get one at that price I totally would. I'd snag a Husqvarna combi can too!

Fiskars

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I take it you've read the splitting tool review thread? As said, Steve was I big fan of the s2800.
I'll say it again though....it depends on the wood. Both good, neither will be bad, neither will be perfect, one will work better in some wood, but worse in others. Errrmm, think the above comment about warranty might not apply here as UK fiskars warranty isn't life time, but you're unlikely to break either.

Gransfors maul is three times the price here.

I take it you've read the splitting tool review thread?

I did see it ... all 109 pages :surprised3: :surprised3: :) ... I've actually book marked it for one evening after a few beers when the Mrs has gone to bed and I'm sitting in front of the fire :)

I was ideally just after some quick input so I could get something ordered and here by the end of the week as have a load to do over the weekend and have a hernia op next week which will prevent me doing any for a while ... in essence though it sounds like they're both good tools but different people just have different preferences.

How much difference would I actually notice with either of them over an axe ... I do have a big maul as well which I use for the tougher stuff but you fairly quickly get tired due to the weight and often end up switching quite a lot which slows you down. The axe I have is about the weight of an X25 ..... the X27 weighs a bit more but I believe that's just the longer handle rather than in the head so probably won't make a huge amount of difference swinging it and the S2800 is half way in between so not as tiring as the maul I would have thought and may prevent the constant switching?

Green white oak today, I'm really liking this husqvarna axe!

Attachments

• 20201118_142743.jpg
    20201118_142743.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 20201118_142206.jpg
    20201118_142206.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • 20201118_142650.jpg
    20201118_142650.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
I did see it ... all 109 pages :surprised3: :surprised3: :) ... I've actually book marked it for one evening after a few beers when the Mrs has gone to bed and I'm sitting in front of the fire :)

I was ideally just after some quick input so I could get something ordered and here by the end of the week as have a load to do over the weekend and have a hernia op next week which will prevent me doing any for a while ... in essence though it sounds like they're both good tools but different people just have different preferences.

How much difference would I actually notice with either of them over an axe ... I do have a big maul as well which I use for the tougher stuff but you fairly quickly get tired due to the weight and often end up switching quite a lot which slows you down. The axe I have is about the weight of an X25 ..... the X27 weighs a bit more but I believe that's just the longer handle rather than in the head so probably won't make a huge amount of difference swinging it and the S2800 is half way in between so not as tiring as the maul I would have thought and may prevent the constant switching?
Will you notice much difference? Depends on the wood. Some stuff will split with anything.... false acacia (black locust to our US hosts). I've literally split 2' diameter rings with a 1 1/4lb hatchet. Straight grained oak or ash is a joy too. Any tool will split it and for speed I'd go light...3lb head and 28" handle. Other stuff can be different and some stuff yes you'll notice a huge difference. It's good to have an arsenal of a few axes. Honestly though, if I were you and choosing I might go s2800, but if I found a deal on an x25 or x27 I'd be happy with that.
Hope the hernia op goes smoothly.

^^^ cheers for that .... I've ordered the X 27 for delivery tomorrow and will see how it pans out with that ... you mention an arsenal of axes which is kind of where my mind went pre ordering and thought I don't think this will be the last so went with what "most" deem as a benchmark.

As I've gone with the longer my next will probably be the S2800 to see how they compare and which I prefer .... as I'm an obsessive I'll probably end up with the X25 as well one B'day or Xmas .... you just can't have too many sharp things :D

I actually prefer the X25 over the X27. I started out with the X25 and had it for years before adding the X27, so it may be that I'm just more accustomed to the one I've had longer.:)

The X27 did arrive today and I have to say what an incredibly blinding piece of kit .... the biggest thing I notice is how it doesn't get stuck in the wood in comparison to my axe / big maul to the extent I'd say it at least doubles my output ..... BUT .... if I could change one thing I wonder if I'd have been better off with the X25

I don't know why but the X27 seems bigger than it is and you end up moving your hands up the handle to compensate although a couple of really knotted / hard to splt bits I do go to the end and use the full swing.

Initially using it ... it felt a lot longer than my axe but having chopped a shed load of wood I put it next the the axe /maul and they're the same length which seemed really weird.

Having split a huge load that I needed to do for now I may get the X25 in the future (ebay the one I like least), I don't think I'd go for the Husky as the head on this seems heavy enough and whilst a smidge harder work to weild than the axe is a lot less tiring than the heavy maul and I imagine the Husky may be harder work ... possibly compensated by an even shorter handle.

I think the biggest effect one may have over the other though is how often they get stuck as I can't belive how much more effient this was than an axe for that reason alone.

I did get a PM from one person that had an X25 / X27 and a S2800 and they said out of all they preferred the X25 .... I probably should of listened;)

That resonates. It does still stick in some wood, but it is a good shape that rarely sticks firm. It's impressive for that.
You'll get the x25 and keep it as you'll find sometimes it better and sometimes it's worse. Then you'll be get an x21. Then you'll curse fiskars for not doing an x23, and you'll get a 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 lb axe head on a 28" ish handle to fill the gap ... Then you'll get another with a different profile. Then......

Welcome my friend! Moooohahahahahahahaaaaa!

The S2800 is hands down a more effective splitting tool than the X27. Not even close. Like comparing a high school athlete to someone playing D1. Very much worth the increase in price.

For splitting moderate to easy to split wood, I’m a big proponent of the X25. It has a shorter handle like the S2800 so you can get a faster, more accurate swing but has better balance.

I’ve not used my X-27 at all over the past three years since I’ve had the S2800/X-25 combo.

Sorry I didn’t see this post sooner. Didn’t even see the tags.

The S2800 is hands down a more effective splitting tool than the X27. Not even close. Like comparing a high school athlete to someone playing D1. Very much worth the increase in price.

For splitting moderate to easy to split wood, I’m a big proponent of the X25. It has a shorter handle like the S2800 so you can get a faster, more accurate swing but has better balance.

I’ve not used my X-27 at all over the past three years since I’ve had the S2800/X-25 combo.

Sorry I didn’t see this post sooner. Didn’t even see the tags.

Does the S2800 get stuck more than the X25 ... it was the main thing that stopped me from getting it as I saw a couple of posts saying it did .... I'll probably end up with all 3 as whilst the X27 I bought is a brilliant tool for spiltting in comparsion to my axe the X27 just seems too long for my 5'7.

Does the S2800 get stuck more than the X25 ... it was the main thing that stopped me from getting it as I saw a couple of posts saying it did .... I'll probably end up with all 3 as whilst the X27 I bought is a brilliant tool for spiltting in comparsion to my axe the X27 just seems too long for my 5'7.
2800 sticks less than x27.

Just note that Steve is splitting different woods, those that grow in the snowy North of North America. Could be different properties to those from the English South coast. I also suspect you're not splitting as long a length as Steve, who is probably splitting 16" lengths.

I've noticed the husqvarna doesn't seem to be talked of much in the UK. Probably just not as available or slightly more costly, but it may also be a design Vs wood thing.

Anyway....I expect to see you in the axe resto thread soon enough.... I've now got 3 Hb, 2 saw, 3 gba, 2 elwell, 1 Gilpin, 1 brades, 1 true Temper.... The search for the perfect axe continues

Latest posts

Back