Fiskars X27 review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The X-27 is a well designed mass produced product that does was it was designed to do well. I'd not worry about the handle breaking, they are damn tough. You can spend upward of $500 on a axe if you seek top shelf products. The X-27 retailing under $50 is money well spent. Is it my favourite splitter among 10+ other hand forged bits, no but it performs very close to the best of them.
I’d sure like one of really nice hand forged axes, but I can’t keep a wood handle on anything.

Not all Fiskars are great, but the x27 (and x25) just is. We have quite an inventory of axes and I bought a third one just because after a while everybody wants to use the x27 in the long run (household of 3 adults).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I always liked wood handles but I finally got tired of re-handling splitting tools and have now gone to all 'artificial'.
I get that & that's why there such a clever durable product. A handle that's water proof, sun/weather proof, needs no oiling or sanding or maintenance is music to many hand tool users ears. I prefer wood and make handles from scratch but I put a lot of time and effort making/maintaining handles, its a relaxing zen type hobby. Most people think I'm nut's sometimes even I do. I'll often bring a vintage shovel head home from the tip and spend a few hours removing the concrete & rust off it, sharpening it, removing dents and fitting a hand made handle. I don't really need another shovel, could buy one with one hours wages yet will happily pick sawdust out of my nose and cough up a metallic rust taste after running a wire wheel over them to stop one from hitting landfill. Yeah composite handles make a lot more sense...they do, always I have a hand tool with a wobbly loose bit that needs hanging...its a constant. All I've done to my X27 or X25 is sharpen them.

I get that & that's why there such a clever durable product. A handle that's water proof, sun/weather proof, needs no oiling or sanding or maintenance is music to many hand tool users ears. I prefer wood and make handle but I put a lot of time and effort making/maintaining handles, its a relaxing zen type hobbies. Most people think I'm nut's sometimes I do when I bring a shovel vintage head home from the tip and spend a few hours removing the concrete & rust off it, sharpening it, removing dents and fitting a hand made handle. I don't really need another shovel, could buy one with one hours wages yet will happily pick sawdust out of my nose and cough up a metallic rust taste to stop one from hitting landfill. Yeah composite handles make a lot more sense...they do!
Oh yea nothing like a good wood handle axe, especially one that’s older than you are. They are like old Winchester’s. I like to hold them, hoard them, and use them occasionally. But when it’s time to go to work I’m gonna grab the AR15 or composite handle axe.

Wood handle hammers are still great, I don’t have any trouble breaking them. They ruin more from being left in the rain and stuff.

My x27 doesn't have the orange iso core stuff in the handle....mine came from wal mart on clearance for $40 I think. Any difference other than the handle?

I get that & that's why there such a clever durable product. A handle that's water proof, sun/weather proof, needs no oiling or sanding or maintenance is music to many hand tool users ears. I prefer wood and make handles from scratch but I put a lot of time and effort making/maintaining handles, its a relaxing zen type hobby. Most people think I'm nut's sometimes even I do. I'll often bring a vintage shovel head home from the tip and spend a few hours removing the concrete & rust off it, sharpening it, removing dents and fitting a hand made handle. I don't really need another shovel, could buy one with one hours wages yet will happily pick sawdust out of my nose and cough up a metallic rust taste after running a wire wheel over them to stop one from hitting landfill. Yeah composite handles make a lot more sense...they do, always I have a hand tool with a wobbly loose bit that needs hanging...its a constant. All I've done to my X27 or X25 is sharpen them.

Actually 'fitting' the handle was rather relaxing, drive it in, back out, use busted windo glass to shave down any markings, repeat several times and end up with a perfect fitted handle. Rather time consuming but a good way to spend time in the shade of a tree on a hot day.

Actually 'fitting' the handle was rather relaxing, drive it in, back out, use busted windo glass to shave down any markings, repeat several times and end up with a perfect fitted handle. Rather time consuming but a good way to spend time in the shade of a tree on a hot day.
100% agree, except I'm in the shop near the woodstove with beer and tunes.

My x27 doesn't have the orange iso core stuff in the handle....mine came from wal mart on clearance for $40 I think. Any difference other than the handle?
Same head, different handle. The black ones have a texture there where the orange stickier portion used to be.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

A lot of people who ha d the original super splitter with the shorter handle say it was better than any of their current splitting tools. I wish we knew why they decided to change the geometry of the tool. The x7 is dangerous lol. I have one and the handle is too short for my liking. I want to try a longer handle like the x15.

I love the x27 but wanted something shorter and lighter for the occasional really easy splitting stuff...I decided that after my first half cord of black locust. So I got the x17. i set up on a high block after watching the fiskars video...mistake. use a low block for a short handle! i hit the split, a knot deflected the x17 head out the side and past the side of my block...a couple of hours later i had 3 stitches in my shin. Now i always se a low block! It works surprisingly well though, it doesn't have the oomph of the bigger brother, but i can and do use it for quite a lot.

I have not sharpened mine yet.
Key to using it is to snap your wrist when swinging to get more speed in your swing.
This works with speed, not brute strength.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Years ago an oldtimer taught me that trick about snapping your wrist, works great if you are coordinated enough to do it. I have all I can do to hit the round where I want.

I'm going to bite and order one. Over 4.400 reviews and its at 4.7 out of 5 stars.

I'd say its a good one from the reviews and from the reviews on here!

Thanks for making this thread op!

Little story about Fiskars replacement. I’ve had a x27 for a few years and it works great, so I ordered the heavier maul. It works great too but I got a crack on the plastic right underneath the head of the maul. I put in a warranty claim and they sent me a new one for free. but it wasn’t the isocore. It was an x27! I told them and they told me to keep it and they sent me out a new maul. I got two new splitting tools for free. I thought about selling the new splitting ax but something inside me just won’t let it go ...Anyway, their customer service can’t be beat.

I love the x27 but wanted something shorter and lighter for the occasional really easy splitting stuff...I decided that after my first half cord of black locust. So I got the x17. i set up on a high block after watching the fiskars video...mistake. use a low block for a short handle! i hit the split, a knot deflected the x17 head out the side and past the side of my block...a couple of hours later i had 3 stitches in my shin. Now i always se a low block! It works surprisingly well though, it doesn't have the oomph of the bigger brother, but i can and do use it for quite a lot.
I sometimes split off a round/block off the ground or do kindling up at waste level. But when swinging any cutting tool always think of where the axe will end up should you miss, under strike or it deflects. When the head deflects off the target it is moving at an uncontrollable speed. But you of coarse know this now. Sometimes its about lowering your knees as you come down with a strike when using a shorter handle. Mistakes will more than hurt!

All the power of a maul without the weight. Use mine to make kindling to start my stove. No complaints so far.

I sometimes split off a round/block off the ground or do kindling up at waste level. But when swinging any cutting tool always think of where the axe will end up should you miss, under strike or it deflects. When the head deflects off the target it is moving at an uncontrollable speed. But you of coarse know this now. Sometimes its about lowering your knees as you come down with a strike when using a shorter handle. Mistakes will more than hurt!

I’m 6’4 and I like the shorter (28”) handle and I split on the ground. I square up perpendicular to where I want to strike. I stand with feet about shoulder width apart and swing straight down, not over the shoulder. If I miss it goes between my legs and if it bounces sideways I’m usuallout of the way. It doesn’t look as cool as swinging over the shoulder or a staggered stance roundhouse swing but it seems to work better and I’m way to old to worry about what looks cool.

There’s a lot to bending the knees too along with snapping the wrist. Oddly enough breathing out seems to help too. It’s kind of like swinging a golf club or a baseball bat. I’ll get lazy in my stance from time to time. With easier splitting wood it doesn’t matter as much. When you encounter that tougher piece it’s amazing how much more power you can generate by focusing on stance, bend, snap, and breath vs just hitting harder.

Can’t say anything bad about my splitter. Split some red oak today, no problem.
03e499c31501229e66e9f8f4354959e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a lot of experience with Fiskars tools and i can say you that they do make the best garden tools, infact every garden related tool that we own is made by Fiskars.
And the reason is simple, they are built to last.

I also own x25 splitting axe and it is amazing axe.

The only reason why there might be some hate is because of Wranglestar and his only point why he doesn't like fiskars is that it's not a heritage tool.
If someone manages to break the handle of Fiskars splitting axe, well.. he shouldn't be using an axe in the first place.

not a heritage tool.
That's funny. The company started when white people where still an minority in what is now the US.
One of europes oldest companies.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Back