Fiskars X27 vs Husqvarna S2800

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my X27 for a while now and love it. Few weeks back when I picked up my 562xp I seen the S2800 hanging on the wall and couldn't help but take it home. They gave me a nice deal on it as I was spending big on a new saw lol.

Not much swings with it yet compared to the thousands and thousands of swings on my X27 but what a great axe, while the shorter handle is a draw back comparing to the X27, the S2800 cuts so damn good wanting the longer handle is a distant memory once you get working. For me anyways. I like the extra head weight on the S2800, and feels very comfortable in the hands.

Just my initial thoughts but with my limited time on the S2800 it out performs my X27.

I've had my X27 for a while now and love it. Few weeks back when I picked up my 562xp I seen the S2800 hanging on the wall and couldn't help but take it home. They gave me a nice deal on it as I was spending big on a new saw lol.

Not much swings with it yet compared to the thousands and thousands of swings on my X27 but what a great axe, while the shorter handle is a draw back comparing to the X27, the S2800 cuts so damn good wanting the longer handle is a distant memory once you get working. For me anyways. I like the extra head weight on the S2800, and feels very comfortable in the hands.

Just my initial thoughts but with my limited time on the S2800 it out performs my X27.

Nice!!!!!!

I got the 8# IsoCore Fiskars maul last Saturday. Only had enough time to pound on one 25" ash round. It is a very nice tool, but honestly, I am out of shape.

To give this maul its full potential I need to work out some more and gradually build up more strength. I was huffing after 20 strikes!!! It did split some big stuff, but I think I can do better once I get some better wind.

@zogger... have you been using your IsoCore yet?
I got the 8# IsoCore Fiskars maul last Saturday. Only had enough time to pound on one 25" ash round. It is a very nice tool, but honestly, I am out of shape.

To give this maul its full potential I need to work out some more and gradually build up more strength. I was huffing after 20 strikes!!! It did split some big stuff, but I think I can do better once I get some better wind.
How do you think it compares to a traditional maul of the same weight?

I need to spend more time with it, only had 15-20 minutes to hit a big round, hopefully Thursday get some time. It was a little dull, so I did put a little edge on it after using it briefly. It is better than most cheapo mauls that I have used, mainly interested to see if it holds up to over strikes. Most of the wooden ones do not.

@zogger... have you been using your IsoCore yet?

How do you think it compares to a traditional maul of the same weight?

Nope, mine hasn't come in yet..I'm patient though, always have plenty of other projects. Started in on my huge stack of saw repairs yesterday, keepers and project saws to sell..... I am sure looking forward to the heavy isocore maul though, EL WHAMMO! Been staring at oakzilla mountain...

Can you really tell the difference in the handle with a regular maul, the shock? Even 20 whacks should be enough to tell..and...pics, we need pics, it's de roolz! hahaha!!

Zog, if I were you I would start asking where your product is or start asking for a refund. I wouldnt take too kindly waiting as long as you. Maybe you are a better man. :surprised3:

Zog, if I were you I would start asking where your product is or start asking for a refund. I wouldnt take too kindly waiting as long as you. Maybe you are a better man. :surprised3:

edit: ordered, not prepaid, the store guys know me well. I talked to their distributor, back ordered until the 29th. We'll see after that. I know I was the first guy around here to get the original fiskars super splitter, and also thanks to the forum, the first to get the oregon battery saw, and that one, gratis. Yes, I am patient, I still have several other splitting tools to use if I want to. The store I ordered through is the last real mom and pop dang sells everything hardware store like I remember from when I was a kid, I don't mind waiting to give them my business. And I'll post my preview and pics once it is here, got a variety of easy and hard, different sizes, to work on. Plenty.

Hmm..I think I might still have that nasty piece of elm that everything I tried just bounced off of, when I had the leveraxe version 2 to try out. I'll check on that piece, if not the exact one, a round from the same tree.

Mine was supposed to be back ordered until February, then it came in!!!

I got mine from a family owned hardware store/ stihl dealer/ e-free gas station/--- can't go wrong . excellent service. They can't control when the supplier makes products available. I would rather give all my business to them no matter what!!!

Pictures hopefully Thursday,

Nope, mine hasn't come in yet..I'm patient though, always have plenty of other projects. Started in on my huge stack of saw repairs yesterday, keepers and project saws to sell..... I am sure looking forward to the heavy isocore maul though, EL WHAMMO! Been staring at oakzilla mountain...

If I was closer Zog.

We could mount a serious 394 Counteroffensive on Oakzilla.

I can see it know........Fans blowing......chips flying......Tawney Kitaen rolling around on the hood of an old "Fall Guy" wood hauler......throw the horns....

Awesome.....

If I was closer Zog.

We could mount a serious 394 Counteroffensive on Oakzilla.

I can see it know........Fans blowing......chips flying......Tawney Kitaen rolling around on the hood of an old "Fall Guy" wood hauler......throw the horns....

Awesome.....

HAHAHAHAHA! I'm in! 394s are just..wow, just wow. I have only run two other saws with a bit more snot, both masterminded, an 084 that hauled like a freight train and a simply unreal 3120xp that started as easy as a dinky poulan then accelerated like some jet taking off.

Most of it is cut now, I left one trunk stub that is still decent enough for thin slabbing or milling. Once all the cut up stuff is split and stacked and out of the way I might try to sell it or swap for something local. There's enough there for a dozen table tops or some awesome cutting boards, etc. I think it would need a big chainsaw mill though, one of those double powerhead jobbers with a big bar, like six foot.

In the wings on the hoof I have at least two giant white pine and a few more 30 inch + range hardwoods with big decent trunks. There's a few areas in the woods I need to cruise and go looking for more monsters though. I might pop for a smaller mill this year, not sure yet, still getting more saw repair and modding tools. I have dozens of smaller saws (I grab any junkers if cheap enough) to work on now, been accumulating them getting ready for a big mass porting push, repair what's broken, check em out, port, then they get used one tank and if decent, hit the for sale arena.

The 394 though..stayin....it's like a hand held motorcycle that eats trees.

HAHAHAHAHA! I'm in! 394s are just..wow, just wow. I have only run two other saws with a bit more snot, both masterminded, an 084 that hauled like a freight train and a simply unreal 3120xp that started as easy as a dinky poulan then accelerated like some jet taking off.

Most of it is cut now, I left one trunk stub that is still decent enough for thin slabbing or milling. Once all the cut up stuff is split and stacked and out of the way I might try to sell it or swap for something local. There's enough there for a dozen table tops or some awesome cutting boards, etc. I think it would need a big chainsaw mill though, one of those double powerhead jobbers with a big bar, like six foot.

In the wings on the hoof I have at least two giant white pine and a few more 30 inch + range hardwoods with big decent trunks. There's a few areas in the woods I need to cruise and go looking for more monsters though. I might pop for a smaller mill this year, not sure yet, still getting more saw repair and modding tools. I have dozens of smaller saws (I grab any junkers if cheap enough) to work on now, been accumulating them getting ready for a big mass porting push, repair what's broken, check em out, port, then they get used one tank and if decent, hit the for sale arena.

The 394 though..stayin....it's like a hand held motorcycle that eats trees.

That's pretty cool!!!!

We have some big ones left around here. I found this ol girl last fall while out 4 wheeling with the girlfriend a little ways from the house by itself in a clearing.

There are some really big White Pines in this area. But they are random and kinda like Silverbacks of the wild just hanging out.

The cool thing is, the real big trees are pretty much left alone unless some act of nature intervenes and figures it was their time.

That's pretty cool!!!!

We have some big ones left around here. I found this ol girl last fall while out 4 wheeling with the girlfriend a little ways from the house by itself in a clearing.

There are some really big White Pines in this area. But they are random and kinda like Silverbacks of the wild just hanging out.

The cool thing is, the real big trees are pretty much left alone unless some act of nature intervenes and figures it was their time.

Nice ones. I'll take a coupla pics today of the big pines, they are sorta in the way in the bottom swamp field.

That's pretty cool!!!!

The old homesteads have some monster white pines as a few missed the logging action. Any public land around me was logged in the 1900-1910's so the oldest trees are normally 100 years old or they were too young to cut when the loggers came through.

There is a big old Norway that is just a skeleton now on the back of my property. I never realized we actually owned back that far until I saw the map on the county website.

Lots of old whites around with the tops broken off like your second picture. White pine is a brittle wood.

Pics of some big pines, and some big fenceline oaks. The twin leaders oak is wider than I can reach, so it is more than five foot diameter, it is a willow oak I think. And some stumps, the big sloping farmers back cut is pre-arboristsite, then the next better looking one is after I joined and learned what to do. The sloper made such a kaboom when it hit my GF heard it hit and felt the shock, 1/4 mile away. Felled it with a dinky saw beavering out chunks, then axeing it, back and forth. Used home made wooden wedges and ran a long line to a comealong on another tree out in the pasture. Sloping or not, I was proud of that one, biggest I had ever done up to that point. We named it tree quake. I only take those big old fencelines trees if they croak though. Bonus pic is a new tool I scrounged up on CL today..wanted one since I joined the site and started reading about "ported saws". Look out, I am now officially dangerous!

Attachments

• IMG_20160127_102147.jpg
    IMG_20160127_102147.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20160127_102831.jpg
    IMG_20160127_102831.jpg
    846.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20160127_103007.jpg
    IMG_20160127_103007.jpg
    778.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20160127_105823.jpg
    IMG_20160127_105823.jpg