Fiskars X27 What a Piece of Plastic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw the buddy at breakfast this morning on the way to work. He had made a special trip to wally world for a Fiskars - got the black handle "chopping ax" (f27 seems to be off the market now). Says it is identical to the x27 and had already split and stacked the cord and half of blocks I gave him. He was working on finding a source for a logrite hookeroon and found one in stock on the Oregon site.

Seems I made a convert.

No, I didnt' tell him that the metal was junk. :)

Harry K

They only had the chopping axe at Wally world when I looked today. All the splitting axes were gone. I think the head is a lot narrower on the chopping axe and handle is shorter. not an expert by no means on this, but thats what I figured from the different boxes

I did put a new handle on my maul, and after about 15 swings I busted that handle. Returned that for cash. Going to weld a steel handle on and to hell with wood handles. So I hauled out the

I'm not going to dig back through the posts to quote them but one member said his X27 dulls right away when splitting on a block and someone also mentioned theirs wouldn't hold an edge after the factory edge was worn off.

They either must have gotten bad ones or were hitting something in their wood as mine was still plenty sharp after 5 cords of splitting rounds on the ground over the past few days.

Hey guys. I bought a new fiskars axe yesterday, more precisely the Fiskars x25. Was pretty exited about it, especially since it only received good reviews. But when I started using it I noticed after 5-10 hits that it started to get burred on the edge, is this normal and has this something to do with the weak steel I read more and more about? Or am I just unlucky and grabbed exactly the faulty one. I by the way didnt hit any stone and use a wooden block beneath my logs.

Attachments

• 1430994324431784161935.jpg
    1430994324431784161935.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
You definitely hit some type of rock or metal in the wood. Could have been something inside or there could have been rocks stuck to the outside of the rounds.

There definitely isnt any rock or metal in the logs. Ive had more regular axes and they all don't seem to have this problem. Its a solid piece of wood I use where I put my logs on, there cant be anything in it.

Other members have made mention of this same thing happening on their Fiskars splitters and are certain they are not striking anything hard, soooo, it could be a metal tempering that isnt quite right. I have not personally seen this with my X25 or my brothers and friends X25's and X27's.
You may have gotten a bum one?

There definitely isnt any rock or metal in the logs. Ive had more regular axes and they all don't seem to have this problem. Its a solid piece of wood I use where I put my logs on, there cant be anything in it.

Seems excessive with short use. Check the top of your splitting block, it might have gotten pretty dirty from use in the past.

Fiskars has lifetime warranty, if you bought it local, maybe try a new one. Mine has never gotten that beat up before.

Zoom in on the pic. Those are definitely hard object contact marks.

Fiskars will lose their edge over time but it sort of rounds off to an edge more like a butter knife.

Upon further thought, if the left side of the picture is the top of the axe it appears you are contacting foreign objects either on the top of the round or between the round and the splitting block. It doesn't take much of a rock to cause that. I have the same thing happen when I split on the ground.

Just some little pebbles left on your splitting block that fell off the sides of your rounds could be responsible for that. If your cut face of your blocks have dirt and small pebbles in them then it would result in the same if you split a couple of rounds with some rusty wire grown into it you would get the same. Just take your flat file an blend it back into the edge.

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate the quick responses. I will see further into this problem and probaly change the spliting block. Will the fiskars sharpener help removing the damaged/burred edge?

A raker file will fix the edge of that axe,don't use a bench grinder ,the heat will de temper the edge .

A raker file will fix the edge of that axe,don't use a bench grinder ,the heat will de temper the edge .
You are right but I think he was asking about the FISKARS sharpener. I wouldnt bother buying one. A good flat file tunes the edge very quickly.

You might not have to get rid of your current block just inspect it for imbedded pebbles and such...

Latest posts

Back