Fiskars...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
having read all the hype... "spirited" arguments and such for both sides, i purchased an x27 and have been very impressed with it so far. it is an effective tool that is light & easy to swing. it is not a "do all" tool, it will not replace a wedge and sledge or large maul. for it's size and ease of use i'd rather swing it though.

if you break it... it has a lifetime guarantee though, if its old and they don't make the same model anymore they will replace it with next larger or next smaller size of your choice. ( i believe gerber axes & hatchets are made by them as well, but don't know if they carry same guarantee.)

i split mainly oak with mine but have used it on a little of everything, including sweetgum & elm (that my neighbor said was un-splittable).. an "edge-friendly" material under what u are trying to split will require less sharpening. the fiskars sharpener (that is recommended) also works very well. i have also used the sharpener on many other edges with much success. earlier post being first i've heard of with problems using it.

i have also purchased a fiskars hand held pole trimmer/ lopper that works very well. any tools i need in the future that they produce will also likely be purchased ( i hate my hedge trimmers but don't use them enough to justify replacing them with the fiskars just yet)

having read all the hype... "spirited" arguments and such for both sides, i purchased an x27 and have been very impressed with it so far. it is an effective tool that is light & easy to swing. it is not a "do all" tool, it will not replace a wedge and sledge or large maul. for it's size and ease of use i'd rather swing it though.

if you break it... it has a lifetime guarantee though, if its old and they don't make the same model anymore they will replace it with next larger or next smaller size of your choice. ( i believe gerber axes & hatchets are made by them as well, but don't know if they carry same guarantee.)

i split mainly oak with mine but have used it on a little of everything, including sweetgum & elm (that my neighbor said was un-splittable).. an "edge-friendly" material under what u are trying to split will require less sharpening. the fiskars sharpener (that is recommended) also works very well. i have also used the sharpener on many other edges with much success. earlier post being first i've heard of with problems using it.

i have also purchased a fiskars hand held pole trimmer/ lopper that works very well. any tools i need in the future that they produce will also likely be purchased ( i hate my hedge trimmers but don't use them enough to justify replacing them with the fiskars just yet)

I am more impressed with the fiskars long handled garden supershovel over my supersplitter!

Love my x25- cracked a bunch of 25" oak rounds with it this weekend

Just got my x-27 today. :rock: Granted, it's new, sharp, slick. Can't believe how much easier it is to use. Already want an x-25 for the smaller stuff. My old 8lb maul is like an antique now. :chop:

Just got my x-27 today. :rock: Granted, it's new, sharp, slick. Can't believe how much easier it is to use. Already want an x-25 for the smaller stuff. My old 8lb maul is like an antique now. :chop:

While that teflon coating is still intact, protect it with some cheap spray lube.

My X27 came yesterday and looks pretty nice can't wait to give it a try on some maple I have , after I did it out of the snow that is.
Thanks zogger for the spray lube tip , can't hurt I guess.

I like everything fiskars I own except the sharpener, for some reason I can't get mine to sharpen anything, and I have spent hours with it, tried it on all sorts of edged things including fiskars axe and hatchet. I am beginning to think I got a reject one, because everyone else reports god success and easy top use.

or I am a tard, which..well..might have some merit to that notion :(

No it was defective, gotta be Zogs, cuz I got one from the same flippin' batch! Sent out by a guy named Juha who is yuckin' it up right now over in Raseborg with his buds about how long it's gonna take for us Appy's to figure out the wheels are on backwards! ( or maybe it was just a college kid from Madison, I dunno ). Either way, it don't do diddly poo for me either. But I may also be defective, cuz I originally thought saw chain files went both directions ( faster right? ) so there ya go.....

Anyone know what the idea or difference is w/the all black versions of Fiskars hatchet/Axes? They're listed a few bucks cheaper than the X versions on their website.

Yes, the finish and a very slightly different handle end. I called them up and asked them.

Thanks zogger for the reply & that you checked w/them. Saw it onsale today listed online w/orange handle figured it was the X7 ordered w/store pickup & they handed me the black version when I went to pick it up. Not a big deal, but doesn't fit in next to my X11 & X25 not sure if I'm gonna keep it w/the others or a gift for someone down the road, for the price I got it is a keeper for someone.
My 2cents on the black version, I would prefer the X series, don't like the different way they textured the handle & black paint on the head is just going to wear off w/use.

I guess I can join the fiskars club today, as I picked up an X27 to try and split up the eucalyptus pile. So far it's not a bad performer, but I don't know if it's a good one either. I've been using 8lb and 6lb block splitters, one name brand and one cheap one, neither of which lasted very long due to snapped handles.

The X27 is nice and light, and therefore easy to swing, but the lack of weight is proving a problem in the tough chunks of wood. So far if I can't drive in far enough to split with the X27, I make a big enough imprint in the top to be able to drive a splitting wedge in with the sledgehammer.

Last edited:
I have the x27 and I'm going to look into getting the husky splitting axe or the stihl splitting axe. The head gets stuck easily in tough wood. I've broken one handle in them. All you do is take a picture of the damage and send it in and in a week or so you'll have a new one show up.

Well, I have used a lot of different splitting axes/mauls. I was dubious of the hype over the fiskars splitting axes. I tried them over the weekend, they do perform. I find the x25 to be a bit more effective than the x27, the head geometry is slightly different, it seems to split rounds easier, even with the shorter handle. Going to have to add one to my arsenal.

Four hours of splitting so far and results are mixed. In the straight,drier wood it's great. One good swing and one piece of wood becomes two. In the greener salmon gum, and/or where it's knotted, you could swing all day and get nowhere. Also, it seems to get stuck in the wood a lot more than a true maul, this is proving frustrating.

Well, I have used a lot of different splitting axes/mauls. I was dubious of the hype over the fiskars splitting axes. I tried them over the weekend, they do perform. I find the x25 to be a bit more effective than the x27, the head geometry is slightly different, it seems to split rounds easier, even with the shorter handle. Going to have to add one to my arsenal.
Agreed, the X25 is a nice piece. Does a good job with a short handle.

Back