Fiskars...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The steel in the Fiskars isnt lower quality, it has a different temper and it brittle. It holds an edge very well as long as you keep it out of the dirt and rocks. If you cant manage to do that then you will spend a lot of time trying to keep it sharp. I've had mine for a few years now and have only had to take a flat file to it 2-3 times and its still sharp. It all depends on how you abuse/use it.

Well it is kind of brittle when you split rounds on top of a gravel driveway. :)

It went through the round right into the gravel. It can be fixed easily with a flat file, I hope.

Did everyone adopt the over head swing with the Fiskars or still using the wind mill over the shoulder strike?

Well it is kind of brittle when you split rounds on top of a gravel driveway. :)

It went through the round right into the gravel. It can be fixed easily with a flat file, I hope.

Did everyone adopt the over head swing with the Fiskars or still using the wind mill over the shoulder strike?
I use both swings. Over the shoulder when more @ss is needed for bigger rounds and leave your hands a little farther apart and lean into your forward hand.

I use both swings. Over the shoulder when more @ss is needed for bigger rounds and leave your hands a little farther apart and lean into your forward hand.

I've tried the over the head swing but my aim isn't as good that way. I can usually hit the same spot with the over the shoulder swing. May just need more practice/muscle memory with the other swing. I really want to try the original Fiskars Splitting Axe that's shaped more like a wedge vice an axe.

I use both with the Fiskar x27 but prefer over the should with the maul depends on the size of the round and how many beers I've had. Lol

I grabbed an X27 for $40 used once off Craigs yesterday. Split a good bit today effortlessly. Kind of bummed me out I'm not sore as I rely on it for a workout. Oh well, guess I have to do more wood next time.

I can see it being easy to chip up. Having bought it second hand I do not have a receipt. There is a sticker on the back of the cover 'Lewis Power Equipment 74.95'
Would that be enough to get me another one if it breaks?
Do not think you need a receipt. Try their website.

My brother broke an X27 last winter and did warranty on their website. They requested a couple of pictures and then promptly sent him a new one.
They did not even want the old one back. Good company to deal with thus far.

Donated one to the Scout Troop. It lasted 45 minutes. Donated an Estwing axe, 2yrs later..... still going strong.
I could see a troop being hard on one and the estwing probably shines in the way of durability, use to have one as a backpacking Axe when I was in scouts, but I'll keep my Fiskar for now, if the splitter is down I know its good for a 1/4 cord of smaller pieces and for the large round pull out the maul. If I aim to chop down a tree I'd likely use the estwing instead as its more suited for that task I think.

I bought a Fiskars pruning saw at WalMart the other day. Not what I had hoped for at all. Several years back I bought a Fiskars pruning saw there for $10 and it was a great tool for me--until I lost it. This one was $13, not the same model, but the blade was an absolute joke and not nearly the overall quality of the first one. Cuts like it has sawed rocks.

I am going to go through the process and see if they replace it. I still like my X7 hatchet but it is kind of a buzz kill right now. Fiskars is batting 2 for 3.

How was it broken, and where did it break?
The kids probably ran it into the rocks and tossed it when they realized the metal chips easier than regular steel. That or scout master took it home for himself when he realized the liability he would face when one of the kids chops off a finger or foot.

The kids probably ran it into the rocks and tossed it when they realized the metal chips easier than regular steel. That or scout master took it home for himself when he realized the liability he would face when one of the kids chops off a finger or foot.

Handle part right at the head.

How was it broken, and where did it break?

They had it stuck in a log and were leaning on the handle to get it loose. (It had taken some blows to the handle already, which didn't help)

Most Boy Scout Troops have multiple wood chopping tools and teach the boys to responsibly use them.

I just chalked it up to wrong product for the wrong audience. Not sure if you've ever noticed some of the older Bridgeport Boy Scout hatchets, they have steel handles. Boy and Scoutmaster proof.

11598059069d9e5149323f5f7ad8a3f0.jpg
5700ff0a5c4ff33c6c7d5025451e7a30.jpg
anyone ever used the dig dawg? X36 I believe?

Broke my 28" anvil lopper two times, contacted them by their website. I'm kinda rough with the tool.. First time they shipped me a replacement part (adjustable anvil), second time model is not available anymore so they shipped me a brand new tool. For me customer service is A+. I hope to try the new one soon and see if the quality took a drop as people are saying, or if it's still a good brand.

And by the way, no invoice required, just a pict of the tool that you send with you inquiry!

No, but I would love to get my hands on one. I found one video on youtube where two young'ins were wacking rounds with one... I wonder if the handle has the same warranty as the other Fiskar products.

I don't recall but either the german ebay site or amazon site has them. You might could order one.

Tried the new x27 out today have to say I am very surprised way better than I ever thought they would be. Never thought it would work better than my maul but it does, splitting is fun again.
Welcome to the site!
Keep the wedge out of the dirt helps to keep it sharp. You will have to touch up the edge once in a while, I recommend a flat file that you would use to take down your rakers on you chain. Have fun and keep it away from your toes.

Latest posts

Back