Fist time porting question (372)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen different plugs act funny in high compression areas. Its worth a try. And maybe a different coil OEM if you have one.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

"and Bingo was his name-o"

Good calls friend.

Those coils are hit and miss anyway.
Plugs fail under comp and as comp rises it will fade. You can see that in a clear plug tester.

Always worth taking 10 min to think about things...or a couple hours.

Life is a thinking game and nothing more

May as well get it all on the table.
*I hate prob questions*
Riglgy searment guy? or chewing tobacco ?? IDK maybe I'm watching too much ball.

No, so is that piston for 372???

OR...you have a different piston from another saw..

So are they both decked or what piston?

May as well get it all on the table.
*I hate prob questions*
Riglgy searment guy? or chewing tobacco ?? IDK maybe I'm watching too much ball.

No, so is that piston for 372???

OR...you have a different piston from another saw..

So are they both decked or what piston?
Maybe it was the plug. The piston is for a 268. I have another saw with the same cylinder and piston combination that wasn't ported and the piston was cut flat, no pop up. That saw runs real good.

[QUOTE="Ronie, post: 6808125, member: 154222] The question is, what controls how high a saw will rev? Any help would be appreciated.

[/QUOTE] Any one of 'fuel,' 'spark', 'compression ' or 'timming '

Is your spark blue or yellowy orange?

What I'd really like to know is what limits the wide open rpm? Like is it when the transfers open or something else? I'm talking just about the cylinder, I understand that the carb can limit the rpm. This one saw doesn't really matter. Is there a general rule that works on most saws when trying to get the rpm up little. For example, I have a new Echo 490 that came set from the factory at 11,400 rpm. I did a muffler mod on it and now its at 11,600. Iwould like to
[QUOTE="Ronie, post: 6808125, member: 154222] The question is, what controls how high a saw will rev? Any help would be appreciated.
Any one of 'fuel,' 'spark', 'compression ' or 'timming '

Is your spark blue or yellowy orange?[/QUOTE]
I'll check it in a little bit.

What I'd really like to know is what limits the wide open rpm? Like is it when the transfers open or something else? I'm talking just about the cylinder, I understand that the carb can limit the rpm. This one saw doesn't really matter. Is there a general rule that works on most saws when trying to get the rpm up little. For example, I have a new Echo 490 that came set from the factory at 11,400 rpm. I did a muffler mod on it and now its at 11,600. I would like to pull the jug and do some mild porting and get the rpm up. Like it is I'll probably never use the saw.

(ok..posted before a read)

Right ! Because of the shorter piston skirt it is already 'ported'. Why do a flat top? They are all good to. IDK about 268 but 266 open skirt is no transfer work or chopping of cylinder. Keep that factory lip on and use a narrow 'sander on the spike about 3/8 match up then tip it into
the corners as' far as you can go'. would be max 1/4 " wide shallow channel at the end. Exhaust ? I know Simon took a chuck out of the roof and some out of the bottom. I could fit my pinky first knuckle through. F w i w .
Said he dynoed 8.2 hp on his site?
Not use what configuration that was?
That's how he did the single ring.
I have done a few

It's hard to see on my phone but you ground the side flush off the cylinder

that's your problem. You can do that with a stock piston but not a short skirt. That's why it's over fueling.

I will call in a couple friends that are pros but...I am pretty sure about this.

that's your problem. You can do that with a stock piston but not a short skirt. That's why it's over fueling.

I will call in a couple friends that are pros but...I am pretty sure about this.
Are you talking about the skirt at the bottom of the cylinder?

Subbed for some good discussion.

And +1 on the slowing down
WHAT!.. are you hanging around to watch me make an aazz out of myself again? Haha. I am sure about this saw...And if they get to technical and call me §hit...then I can always come back with.. "I know you are but what am I"

Now that's a real show stopper right there
I won't be eased with..

Also I am talking about the piston skirt.
Its very short so it has a longer fueling duration. I have copied of a guy that did 1500 of them. And almost 300 in one year of the same. 16 in one week once for one account.

I see that now also. Probably is the problem here.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Timing numbers needed, is the piston free porting at the exhaust port? Intake duration likely too long.

Back