Fix-it-fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My ms 290 has been giving me starting issues lately. I have to pull 30/40 times before it would start. It acted like it was trying to vapor lock making pulling the starter difficult at best. I broke down and bought a can of VP fix-it-fuel to see if that would help in any way.
I dumped out the old gas and poured in about a half tank and after some pulling on the starter rope she started up. I went out and made a few cuts to make sure the fix-it-fuel had gotten all the way through the fuel system.
Then I let it sit over night. Next day I put it on full choke, gave it a pull and she tried to start. Knowing if I kept pulling on full choke she would flood. I moved the lever to start. Gave her one pull and bingo, she fired rite up.
I ran it about 5/10 min then dumped out and saved what was left of the fix-it fuel and put in my regular mix. and she runs like a top. she starts up just like new again.
Guess that stuff really works.

My ms 290 has been giving me starting issues lately. I have to pull 30/40 times before it would start. It acted like it was trying to vapor lock making pulling the starter difficult at best. I broke down and bought a can of VP fix-it-fuel to see if that would help in any way.
I dumped out the old gas and poured in about a half tank and after some pulling on the starter rope she started up. I went out and made a few cuts to make sure the fix-it-fuel had gotten all the way through the fuel system.
Then I let it sit over night. Next day I put it on full choke, gave it a pull and she tried to start. Knowing if I kept pulling on full choke she would flood. I moved the lever to start. Gave her one pull and bingo, she fired rite up.
I ran it about 5/10 min then dumped out and saved what was left of the fix-it fuel and put in my regular mix. and she runs like a top. she starts up just like new again.
Guess that stuff really works.
Or the mix that was in the saw had went bad? How old was your mix, and was it regular pump gas or E-free? Just a thought anyway, as I've had a few field issues with mix that was only a week or 2 old and my saws acted the same

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Or the mix that was in the saw had went bad? How old was your mix, and was it regular pump gas or E-free? Just a thought anyway, as I've had a few field issues with mix that was only a week or 2 old and my saws acted the same

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I only mix one gallon at a time and it was the same mix I use in all my other saws and I had no issues with them running the same fuel.

It has worked for me, several times. Most noticeable was a Stihl trimmer I 'inherited' Never quite worked right when I got it, and I couldn't tune it to. After a couple years of that, I added some Seafoam, and it cleaned right up & worked like a top after one tank through.

I’ve had good luck with Sea foam as well. If it really ran bad I just dumped some into the carb throat while it was running and let the motor die, let it sit for anout 15-20 minutes and fire it up. It’ll smoke like a freight train for a minute but then purr like a kitten.

Some think its snake oil but the stuff really works

I’ve had good luck with Sea foam as well. If it really ran bad I just dumped some into the carb throat while it was running and let the motor die, let it sit for anout 15-20 minutes and fire it up. It’ll smoke like a freight train for a minute but then purr like a kitten.

Some think its snake oil but the stuff really works

In the old days we used transmission oil and poured it strait down the carb while keeping the motor running at a high RPM. It was said that it helped burn off the carbon deposits on the valves and piston. Not sure how well it worked but it sure will make a car smoke like hell. Would make a hell of a smoke screen for anyone trying to follow you. lol

In the old days we used transmission oil and poured it strait down the carb while keeping the motor running at a high RPM. It was said that it helped burn off the carbon deposits on the valves and piston. Not sure how well it worked but it sure will make a car smoke like hell. Would make a hell of a smoke screen for anyone trying to follow you. lol
Yup we ran it in an old Hodaka Combat Wombat in place of two stroke!

I ran the 290 again today just to see if it would start normally and it did. It's always tried to fire up on full choke with just one pull, then move the throttle to run and one more pull and your ready to cut some wood.
The fix-it -fuel seemed to do the trick.
My guess is varnish builds up over time and reduces the jetting gaps and may cause some corrosion build up. Fix-it -fuel is supposed to have a high concentration of solvents that dissolve the varnish and corrosion making it a very good cleaner, without tearing it down and cleaning it by hand.

If the carb diaphragms are stiff how will the solvent even get pumped up to the carb?

Good question, my guess is if it even slightly runs, it's gonna pump fuel all the way through the system. Your supposed to run it till the system gets the fix it fuel and letting it dissolves the varnish and it get flushed out when you run it.
Probably wont work on all carb issues, but it fixed mine rite up.

Back