ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Fix old truck or look for something new/newer

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by sb47, Jun 8, 2019.

1. sb47

sb47 Addicted to ArboristSite

I've been in the new truck buying mood for the past several years now and I like the new trucks but the sticker shock keeps me from going any farther then just looking. I bought new and still drive a 1994 chevy 1500 2x step side silverado with the 5.7 motor Texas Stagecoach custom conversion with 190K and zero rust anywhere. This has been the most dependable truck I have ever had. It still drives great and the motor is strong with no leaks and doesn't burn oil and still has plenty of pep.
    I made a list of what it would take to get the old truck in like new condition and I was liberal with my pricing and it would take around 10K to make the old truck look and be as sound and as pretty as it was new. That included even the smallest cosmetic details.
    I normally don't put a lot of miles on for everyday driving but I do like to travel to races pulling my RV so my millage would stay low.
    If I bought a newer truck, I want to go with a bigger truck for pulling as much as running around.

Now for the new or used trucks.
    There are a lot of good low mileage truck on the market that would do everything I need it to do and I'm sure I could find one and keep from paying those new truck prices.
    However I tend to keep things for ever and since I'm 60 years old a newer truck might just be the last truck I ever buy. But I have been watching the videos of the new 2020 HD trucks chevy and GM are coming out with and they have really upped there game with a lot of changes but no word on pricing yet.

The truck I want will run upwards of 70k with all the bells and whistles. That would be a 3/4 ton HD 4x4 with the Duramax and the new 10 speed Allison transmission. Thats right a 10 speed automatic.

Question is, is a new truck worth 70k? Of course a used one would be much less.
    Or I could just keep driving my old truck as is till she wont go anymore. She won't last for ever so I will need a new truck someday.

2. paco_06

paco_06 ArboristSite Member

Do some research on the newer diesel emission equipment failures before buying one. It'll need to be deleted before the 100k mile mark to avoid failures and harm to the turbo and engine.

I didn't know this when upgrading from a 2000 f250 to a 2013 ram3500. I bought the truck used with 105k and all was good till 125k miles and the turbo quit working. Turns out the egr system quit as well as the exhaust filter. Cost me close to $2k to fix it myself, if it would've been a 2012 model and pre exhaust fluid, I could've fixed it for 1k...

Long story short, if you need a diesel, buy one. But in most cases, you'll get way more bang for the buck from a gas burner. Gasoline emission equipment can last forever just as you 94s has, diesel equipment has about a 100k mile life span.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Oldmaple and sb47 like this.
  3. ammoaddict

ammoaddict ArboristSite Guru

Yep, cost per mile is more with a diesel. I wanted one too, bit like you say, I asked myself if I really needed it and I didn't. I ended up buying the 1500 with 5.3. I'm happy with it, does everything I bought it to do.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

sb47 likes this.
  4. Hoowasat

Hoowasat ArboristSite Operative

The MSRP on my made-to-order 2017 F250 King Ranch CCSB 4x4 6.7L Powerstroke was $72K ... sale price ended up at $64K. This is my first diesel and I'm absolutely loving it. The power is utterly intoxicating. I also bought a zero-deductible premium ESP for 75K miles/8 years. Since I average about 6K to 7K miles/year, my thinking is I'll probably sell or trade this truck after 4 years ... at which time it should still have 4 years and 50K miles of bumper-to-bumper warranty left on it (increases its resale value). BTW, I'm 61 and don't tow anything. I don't "need" this truck, I just wanted it. Get whatever makes you happy.
    front hubcaps.jpg

5. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

Didn't figure you to be older, for some reason figured 20s-30s. Maybe the 4 wheeler jumping had to do with that, dunno.

A lot of outfits around here that used to just run diesel trucks have switched to gas trucks (in the light and medium dutys)

Between the emissions issues and the cost of the diesels I can understand it.
    The emissions stuff is a constant headache and doesn't handle the cold well.

The modern gas truck engines are no slouch in power, longevity and fuel economy.

I was looking up specs for a newer Dodge diesel. Something like 400hp, 1100ft/lbs.
    Had to wonder is there a point where it's a bit much?
    I get around "ok" with a worn out 160hp SBC in a truck weighing ~18,000lbs.

70+k for a truck seems nuts to me. My 98.5 Dodge 2500 4wd diesel had a sticker of 38k and I thought that was expensive! Of you figure for 2019 dollars, that's about 59k.

sb47 likes this.
  6. sb47

lol......I was over 50 when that picture was taken.

farmer steve and lone wolf like this.
  7. sb47

Yeah, I have been wondering about how many miles the diesel would go before some upkeep. Gas would work to since I do tow but not enough to warrant a diesel. I've been told the diesels do tow great though.

farmer steve likes this.
  8. ammoaddict

ammoaddict ArboristSite Guru

Oh yeah, gas can't match diesel power, that's for sure.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

lone wolf and sb47 like this.
  9. sb47

On my list of diesel downfalls are.
    Diesel is not available at all locations. (learned that from driving a Mack)
    Diesel is more expensive plus you have to add DEF fluid.
    Maintenance is a lot more and at a cost.
    Price, the Duramax ads another 10K to the price of a truck.

Pros:
    Pulling power i.e torque.
    MPG even though diesel cost more.
    The ability or carry an external fuel tank in the bed of the truck.
    The fuel doesn't go bad when stored.

10. Hoowasat

Diesel vs. gas: Even though I was bragging about my F250 above, realistically, the benefits of diesel are getting smaller ... if they exist at all. Even many fleets are switching over to gas motor trucks like UPS for local deliveries. For logically thinking people, the only real reason to get a diesel pickup is if you tow heavy on a regular basis. Ford has introduced a new 7.3L gas engine for the Super Duty trucks in 2020. This 2017 F250 was the first new 4-wheeled vehicle I bought since 1986, and I saved up for it (no payments) to treat nyself. I've bought a lot of used vehicles and can't say I had any real problems with any of 'em. Most likely, my next vehicle will be gas powered. I'm waiting to see what the 2020 Bronco looks like, and hoping it's retro-1960s and not similar to the full-size O.J. Simpson-mobile.

11. sb47

I think GM has a new gas motor for 2020 as well.

Oldmaple likes this.
  12. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

Good golly!!! $70k for a vehicle?!?! I wouldn't buy a house for that kind of money. Well, maybe if it was the right house.

The most we ever spent on a vehicle was $8,000. I would never buy new. Drive it off the lot and it's worth half it's value. It would be much better to buy one from those rich people who buy new and sell in 3 years to buy another new one.
    But then, if you have the money to spend and you're generous to charities and all that, then why not? You're not meant to be a miser.

stihlaficionado, RandyMac and chucker like this.
  13. paco_06

paco_06 ArboristSite Member

Well, from all that you mentioned, a 2010 or so and newer 1/2 ton would be a huge upgrade over what you have now. Me personally, I'd suggest getting the newest and best thing you could for 25-30k that would be your best bang for the buck for keeping long term. If for some reason you needed to sell in the next year or two, you'd get most of your money back. If you buy the new for 70k, you'll likely get 50k back in two years. ..... I know the generation of truck you have, and I know you'll love a newer half ton. Look up the specs on them, towing capacity of a 2015 is comparable to a 2000 and older 3/4 ton!

As for me, I have the 2013 3500 that I love, but a time or two I have regretted due to the cost. I'm almost ashamed to say I gave 28k for it two years ago and then had to deal with the emissions stuff that went south. I drive an 83 f100 as my everyday driver to keep the miles off my dodge. Lol

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

14. Hoowasat

Bought the 2017 two years ago for $64K. KBB says its average trade-in now is $59K and average private sale is $61K. I only have 12,500 miles on it.

15. sb47

Here is a quick rundown on the new 2020 HD trucks.

More details here

16. bayard

bayard ArboristSite Guru

something to think about. i have a 2006 dodge cummins.31k new, base work truck 4wd. more power than most would need. the 05 to 07 seems to be , the best of older and newer. not one dollar spent on engine or drive line. just normal maint,s cost. i can see that a gaser would be better, in most cases. 50 to 70k for a truck seems nuts!

17. sb47

This is what I have been driving for the past 25 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PA. Woodsman likes this.
  18. aokpops

aokpops Addicted to ArboristSite

My 87 Dodge is getting in bad shape . When I look at the stuff for sale I all ready have that truck . A new truck is not a work truck there so high . I cuss GM everyday . What is the reason there so high off the ground ? The bed is about to my neck . I will not buy a newer truck . The boycott is on .

19. Sleepy

Sleepy Grumpy Old Man

I'm in the minority here but if I had that truck and it's rust free, I'd spend whatever needed and keep driving it. The increased insurance and property tax on a new one alone will be quite a bit. That's just the way I am and I've always been able to keep my vehicles running myself with only the cost of parts and rather than buy new vehicles, I've always preferred to put my money elsewhere.
    Just my opinion, take it or leave it. If your truck wasn't so far away, I'd love to have it myself. If you're planning to sell it, contact me by pm, maybe we can work something out.
    On the flipside, new trucks are nice and if that's what you want then go for it, you only live on this earth once.

Duce and sb47 like this.
  20. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

Not really. The modern gas engines have more power than alot of the diesel trucks still on the road. Plus he's running a ~20 yr old 2wd 1/2 ton, doubt will "need" diesel power of the new trucks anyhow.

Hell newest truck I've run is a 2011 F450 and the first time I drove it I kept spinning the tires. Had to barely touch on the throttle and it was doing 50mph!

My F-Super Duty 7.3L is 185hp for example.

12v Cummins... 160hp, 400ft lbs. and the later ones where up a bit... 24v 235hp and I think around 460ft/lbs (I don't feel like looking it all up, you get the idea)

Ford V10 gas ... 310hp, 450ft lbs

Fuel mileage isn't much different either between gas and diesel, and really it's a wash once you factor fuel costs.

For the most part it doesn't make sense to run a diesel pickup anymore $$ wise.

Sleepy and sb47 like this.