Fix Stihl 036 Pro or get a new MS271 or ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ns2a

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have 1.5 acres of heavily wooded 30'-40' elm trees I occasionally trim the big branches or fell and use to supplement my heat for my house 4-6 months a year. My plan is to remove these trees little by little and replace them with white pines. According to Stihl's website, I could probably get by with a "homeowner" saw, but I've gone through 3 McCullough's in the past 15 years so not sure.

I have a Stihl 036 PRO that was given to me and I used a fair amount the last 10 years. I used a smaller McCullough for trimming until that went kaput so I used the 036 exclusively the past couple years. Now the 036 needs $228 worth of work - new oiler, new clutch, melted head? and some other stuff.

The 036 is probably overkill for what I do, but I do like the reliability.

Should I get it fixed? Or should I look into something like the MS250 or MS251 or maybe step up to the MS271? Or other ideas?

Any help is appreciated.

If you like the reliability you should get the 036 re-built. $228 for the work listed at a dealer is a really good price if they are using OEM parts.

I like my 271 it pulls a 18 inch bar buried in hard wood pretty well. However I think the 036 weighs less and is a much more powerful saw. I say fix your saw

Fix the 036. The 271 is un impressive and heavy and the 251 will disappoint you if your used to the 036.

I agree. The 271 is really just an overweight 50cc saw, that barely out muscles the 241 (or the 251 for that matter).

If it makes a difference to you, I rebuilt my 360 (same thing as the 036) insteads of replacing it. I also run a Stihl 25" ES bar on it. You couldn't dream of doing that with a 271.

Take into account, a Pro saw is much better built than the plastic clamshell saws.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

A few more things...

When I talked to the repair guy, he said it's $228 and he thinks if he cleans everything up the oiler should not need replacing. But, if the oiler needs replacing, it will be $100ish more...so $338. The oiler wasn't perfect (I think he mentioned a gouge?), as it would still have some issues, but work he thinks. He also said the head wasn't a Stihl, or there were at least not Stihl markings on the head.

I got this about 10 or so years ago from a guy who used it to fell and saw a heavily wooded lot so they could build a house on it. So I'm pretty sure it was used hard. Then my dad had it from there and used it a bit and took it with all his other saws in for service. He wasn't sure how much or if any work was put into it or just cleaned up.

It takes $35 to get my saw back either way. Not sure if it's worth to fix at this point now?

That is a 64 dollar question. If it were mine I would fix it, but my labor is free. I expect if the dealer fixes it you may end up putting more than $300 in it. You can sell the saw to about anyone here on the forum to recoup some money. you most likely will get the saw back in a box if you don't fix it

Do you have both hands, most of your fingers, and at least 1 thumb? You ought to be able to replace all those parts by yourself for under $150 (or $40 + shipping if you go aftermarket). None of that work requires any more special knowledge than remove old part, replace with new part.

Back