Florida Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CertifiedFunds

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So since Im just they greenhorn around here what wood from florida burns the best for camp fire? Also which is the best for heating your home?

Slash pine for the camp fire hands down.Only other wood i burn is cedar and oak so wouldnt know what heats best.My pit is outside.(dont even have heat in the house)

was just there this past summer and helped the father in law clear some red oak there is alot of red oak also some pecan and some orange the grove variety takes forever to dry but once dry will burn about 12-24 hours per piece mixed with pecan makes a great bar b q wood the pecan adds the sweetness the orange gets your temps up around the 50-750 range inside the grill.

alot of people use pine in florida because it is pleantiful and burns fine for outdoor use.

Pine

Pine is awesome dude. The sap makes it burn bright and hot and probably the best for campfires. It burns quickly though as it's a softwood so have alot on hand. For your home and heating??? Ummmm, yeaaaa. I seem to recall a lot of different trees from down there. I'd think anything except palm type trees eh? :confused: :cheers:

Exactly what cisco said.Also it smells good and splits easy even when green.I use it to get my pit hot then use oak to cook on(after burnin it for about 10 hours).Pine does burn up very quickly but it is plentiful.

Dry

is it okay to burn a lot of pine in an airtight stove, i never shut the air completly off, thanks

Long as it's dry I don't see why not. If it's wet, all that sap will cause wicked creosote buildup, specially from conifers. That goes w/out saying from any wood though... :popcorn:

Back