Fly wheel issue on miniskid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcurbanloggers

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,
I bought a boxer 526dx mini skid about a year ago. Its a bare bones little machine without any bells or whistles, but boy howdy can it get some work done. Anyway, yesterday I noticed there is a little bit of oil on the bottom of the fly wheel housing. I've done some googling, but haven't really found any sound suggestions. I suspect its just a bad gasket, but some seem to think that it could be indicative of a larger (unspecified) issue. The motor is a 403c11 Perkins. I was not aware that there was oil in the fly wheel housing. If there is, and I need to drain it, does anyone know what sort of oil that might take? or is it more likely that this is a little engine oil? Does anyone know how serious this issue could be, or if it even is a problem? Would a new gasket on the fly wheel prevent engine oil from entering? As you can see, I am not a mechanic, but I'm learning a lot rather quickly tending to this little pistol of a machine. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance

Sounds like a rear main seal leaking, hope it isn't, could be a expensive repair. Check to see if it's not a leak coming from a valve cover ,line act.Are you sure it's engine oil not trans fluid?

Sounds like a rear main seal leaking, hope it isn't, could be a expensive repair. Check to see if it's not a leak coming from a valve cover ,line act.Are you sure it's engine oil not trans fluid?
The short answer is no, I'm not sure that it's engine oil, but the machine doesn't have a transmission so I doubt it. The crank is bolted straight on to the fly wheel which is bolted straight on to the hydraulic pump. Is changing the rear main seal more complicated than removing the pump and fly wheel to access it?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

The short answer is no, I'm not sure that it's engine oil, but the machine doesn't have a transmission so I doubt it. The crank is bolted straight on to the fly wheel which is bolted straight on to the hydraulic pump. Is changing the rear main seal more complicated than removing the pump and fly wheel to access it?

I'll give it a good clean and verify the oil is not black. Not that I think of it, I actually don't think the oil is black. In which case, what else good it be? Thanks for the response

Back