ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Flying the American Flag at Half Staff

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm thoroughly p.o'd and disgusted about this.

At work, the USPS, we were ordered to fly the flag at half staff last week for the "people" (I'd like to use other words, but I won't) who were killed in the massage parlors in Atlanta.

This week, ordered again to lower the flag for the people shot in Colorado.

:wtf:
These are not reasons to lower the US flag. There are crazies everywhere, and idk how many thousands of people get killed every day.
Wth, let's just keep it lowered indefinitely. :dumb2:
Just kidding.

In my opinion, lowering the flag for every Tom, ****, and Harry who is the victim of a random shooting greatly diminishes the meaning of lowering the flag and the special honor it bestows upon and individual, or event.

This is the official explanation for lowering the US flag from the US Dept. of Veterans Affairs:

Flying the American Flag at Half Staff When should the flag be flown at half-staff?

An easy way to remember when to fly the United States flag at half-staff is to consider when the whole nation is in mourning. These periods of mourning are proclaimed either by the president of the United States, for national remembrance, or the governor of a state or territory, for local remembrance, in the event of a death of a member or former member of the federal, state or territorial government or judiciary. The heads of departments and agencies of the federal government may also order that the flag be flown at halfstaff on buildings, grounds and naval vessels under their jurisdiction.

On Memorial Day the flag should be flown at half-staff from sunrise until noon only, then raised briskly to the top of the staff until sunset, in honor of the nation’s battle heroes.

In the early days of our country, no regulations existed for flying the flag at half-staff and, as a result, there were many conflicting policies. But on March 1, 1954, President Dwight Eisenhower issued a proclamation on the proper times.

The flag should fly at half-staff for 30 days at all federal buildings, grounds, and naval vessels throughout the United States and its territories and possessions after the death of the president or a former president. It is to fly 10 days at half-staff after the death of the vice president, the chief justice or a retired chief justice of the United States Supreme Court, or the speaker of the House of Representatives. For an associate justice of the Supreme Court, a member of the Cabinet, a former vice president, the president pro tempore of the Senate, the majority leader of the Senate, the minority leader of the Senate, the majority leader of the House of Representatives, or the minority leader of the House of Representatives the flag is to be displayed at half-staff from the day of death until interment.

The flag is to be flown at half-staff at all federal buildings, grounds and naval vessels in the Washington, D.C., area on the day and day after the death of a United States senator, representative, territorial delegate, or the resident commissioner from the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. It should also be flown at half-staff on all federal facilities in the state, congressional district, territory, or commonwealth of these officials. Upon the death of the governor of a state, territory or possession, the flag should be flown at half-staff on all federal facilities in that governor’s state, territory or possession from the day of death until interment.

The president may order the flag to be flown at half-staff to mark the death of other officials, former officials, or foreign dignitaries. In addition to these occasions, the president may order half-staff display of the flag after other tragic events. The flag should be briskly run up to the top of the staff before being lowered slowly to the half-staff position."

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
So, what qualifies as a half-staff event?
Never done for flood victims, or tornado victims, hurricane, fire, earthquake. or avalanche.
What about everyone who died from the flu, heart disease, diabetes, and cancer?
What about train wrecks, major auto accidents, and plane crashes?

LogSawyer74

LogSawyer74

ArboristSite Guru
I’m so sick and tired of people with opinions. The whole world seems like it’s full of people with non-stop opinions. I feel bad for anyone who dies unexpectedly, but who the hell cares if the flag is full staff, half staff etc?? In the grand scheme of life, there’s SO much stuff that people have opinions about that are utterly useless and a waste of time.

Ash_403

Ash_403

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
I can see what TNT is getting at and all.

Since this is an opinion thread....

Why not just leave the flag fully up the staff? No exceptions, except for the brief periods when it's being raised to full, or taken down/off.
This is the flag of USA, and it's up the staff as far as it can be.

For those who disagree, I raise my white flag half-staff.