Foley Belsaw Sharpall 1055

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbonaut

Go Climb It
Reaction score
I looked in the advanced search to find posts about the Sharpall 1055 and two threads that I started was all that came up. So I wanted to get one up here.

I've been sharpening my chain on my 1055 since I bought it new ten years ago. I did a slight modification to the feed stop screw by adding a spring that pushes it away from the stop--when you let go, the grinding wheel goes away from the chain.

The 1055 does a fine job on saw chain, you can even lower the depth gauges adequately. As it it a multi-purpose machine, though, it has limitations on chain.

The purpose of this post is to find other Foley-Belsaw Sharpall 1055 owners to share info and to discuss the limitations and tricks you may have learned to get a better finished product.

Thanks.

i recently got a 1055 and my pastors chain was the first to test my skills. it is sharp but i took more life out of it than i needed to, i don't know how but some links ended up shorter??? is there any DETAILED INSTRUCTION ON ITS USE? swinging the arm to the proper angle direction is lacking. i think i have found that the stone should come in at the chain at a 55 or 60 degree angleto keep from getting too much hook on the link. but i have found no instruction on that portion of the set up. Foley Belsaw HAD a course, they no longer offer it. i have the owners manual and they offer the same manual on CD but that info is not in there. my first sharpening job was my wifes hair cutting scissors ...... hours later i did a so,so job on them. getting the guide to hold the scissors and get the right angle was not going to well. the scissors were too narrow?? any how i'm done venting if you know of any sourses for some help i would surley appriciate it.

foley 1055

I just picked up a 1055 sharp all..from a new jersey mower shop that inherited it with the building they are in.The landlord told them they could have it,he didnt want it. They dont sharpen chain there..so i traded for it(150 cash price). Big box of parts, chain fixture, course books.but no clear picture or instructions on set up/parts/angles,ect..anybody got a pdf? 1055 and chain saw two wheel fixture set up. Muchos Gracios

I just began to get my hand filing down,then this 1055 reared its pretty little head..JB

I just picked up a 1055 sharp all..from a new jersey mower shop that inherited it with the building they are in.The landlord told them they could have it,he didnt want it. They dont sharpen chain there..so i traded for it(150 cash price). Big box of parts, chain fixture, course books.but no clear picture or instructions on set up/parts/angles,ect..anybody got a pdf? 1055 and chain saw two wheel fixture set up. Muchos Gracios

I just began to get my hand filing down,then this 1055 reared its pretty little head..JB

You did real good, Buddy Roo. Mine was over a grand new in the nineties. The saw chain attachment alone is about $150. I'll see what I can dig up. I know I still got the VHS tape and probably a spare manual. I'm curious, is yours painted Detroit green or black? I'll check back in here and give ya some input over the wknd.

It's black. The foley belsaw 8" disc, 1"belt sander grinder is that pea soup green. I picked that up for 100 smackers two hours ago..from a very orderly senior's garage. I thought I could dress bars with it..firmer chisels, hand plane knives..ect. The Foley 1055 is only partly assembled, boxed parts are as new..like someone bought it but never ran it/finished assembly. There were about a dozen chains draped over it ..all in need of sharpening.
Looked like it was too much set up for somebody...jb

1055 ..wowza

I may have a clue as to why first owner abandoned ship. I grew up on an upstate NY beef farm, had to fix the Masey F to go anywhere after school,pre sixteen. Can weld, mill, head scratch and get just about anything on the farm running..at least till we could have a better wrench on it. Holy mother of difficult ...stuff (edited), this thing is impossible! No idea what or how the big disc (pivots?) Engages grinder disc..I am for lack of a better phrase, a stranger in a strange land. I have all the prowess of a teenager vs. A triple clasp brassier. I am in a word, a klutz. ????? Pdf or craigslist..hmmmmm....

I may have a clue as to why first owner abandoned ship. I grew up on an upstate NY beef farm, had to fix the Masey F to go anywhere after school,pre sixteen. Can weld, mill, head scratch and get just about anything on the farm running..at least till we could have a better wrench on it. Holy mother of difficult ...stuff (edited), this thing is impossible! No idea what or how the big disc (pivots?) Engages grinder disc..I am for lack of a better phrase, a stranger in a strange land. I have all the prowess of a teenager vs. A triple clasp brassier. I am in a word, a klutz. ????? Pdf or craigslist..hmmmmm....

The big disc is a hone attachment, if it is the one that takes adhesive sandpaper on top. It is for sharpening barber shears (clippers.) Your farm upbringing is just the reason you gotta hang in there. The 1055 will help you stretch the useful life out of your tools. My lawn is like a golf fairway, because of how sharp my blades are. Hang in there. I been building a couple PC's and a chainsaw and a Brake job. I'll try to fill you in. It is far from impossible. You gonna wonder how you made it without that 1055. You're on the right thread.

Ok settled down, maybe needed a little distance from the saw shed. Remembered my hand files and portable saw stand are still my primary tools until I master the fundamentals misteries of the 1055. Thinking the edge I honed on my adze,axes and root cutter is worth the price of admission. Love the little grinding wheel side, just have to learn to love the right side narrow wheel..JB

hi
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread but wanted to join in on the conversation. I just picked up a 10550 Belsaw. It's an older unit but seems to be a nice grinder.
I have 0 documentation on the machine. It just has the saw attachment and table on the end. It's tough to find info on these and could use some help with the basics. I'm looking to start with lawnmower blades first, then drill bits. I have to get my hands on the guide for the drill bits first.

How do you set up yours for lawn mower blades?

hi
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread but wanted to join in on the conversation. I just picked up a 10550 Belsaw. It's an older unit but seems to be a nice grinder.
I have 0 documentation on the machine. It just has the saw attachment and table on the end. It's tough to find info on these and could use some help with the basics. I'm looking to start with lawnmower blades first, then drill bits. I have to get my hands on the guide for the drill bits first.

How do you set up yours for lawn mower blades?

Man, Jaber, that is one old son of a gun. You are gonna love it. F-B made some instructional vid on the 1055. It is low quality vid form thirty years ago and not indexed. I'll try to get some demonstration up on my you tube channel in the next month or so on the saw chain grinder and doing mower blades. I'm pretty sure you can fetch a PDF on the unit on the Foley-Belsaw website. I can't post a link here because they don't advertise here.

It's a dandy isn't it!

I'm so tickled. I already found a drill bit sharpener for it and bought a couple of grinding wheels over the weekend.

F-B does not have ANY I repeat ANY thing published on their website about the machine. I'm still not for certain what all the table adjustments are.

Man, Jaber, that is one old son of a gun. You are gonna love it. F-B made some instructional vid on the 1055. It is low quality vid form thirty years ago and not indexed. I'll try to get some demonstration up on my you tube channel in the next month or so on the saw chain grinder and doing mower blades. I'm pretty sure you can fetch a PDF on the unit on the Foley-Belsaw website. I can't post a link here because they don't advertise here.

Bump. I just inherited one of these. It came with lots of tooling and grinding wheels. Arbonaut, did you ever get a chance to make a video of your machine sharpening chainsaw chains. I think I have everything needed but I am not entirely positive. Its a very fascinating machine but looks somewhat obsolete for many things. It was my wife's grandfathers and I would love to make it useful in my shop.

I'm about to be a 1055 owner so thought I would pop this back up to the top and say HI!

I have several chain grinders so chainsaw chain isn't a problem for me. I'm using it for everything else.

I never found a good tutorial for mine and have used it very little. I have a hard time believing this machine is better at anything than my other sharpening tools. I mean how sharp do you really need your lawnmower blades? I hope someone can prove me wrong. I don't think I have all the parts for my chainsaw chain grinder. I dress my rails on a bench top disk sander. I hope you can figure it out and enlighten me.

Why not get instructions from foley belsaw? They are still in business and sell the attachments for these. I use my bench grinder for a lot of things that this unit could do better. I'm hoping to do lawn mower blades, circular saw/tablesaw blades, knives/machetes, bar rails, drill bits, chisels, etc. Didn't someone say they have a movie on how to use it? If not I can make YouTube videos on how to use each attachment as I figure it out. I kinda want to build an automated attachment for doing chainsaw rakers.

I'm sure ease of use and knowledge of how everything goes together is key in making one of these useful. I am getting mine for $200 so no huge loss if it just replaces my bench grinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4f06ee2d5b13ce1912d9391f4ad0519f.jpg

3828012eaac21771440b3acc58c37abe.jpg

692243680cee69a1a9a23e90db8fb051.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back