For hire in your area: sharpen chains by hand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if this is a good place to ask about chain sharpening pricing. Most of these fanatics are like me in that we wouldn't let anyone else mess with our chains, whether they are a self-professed "pro" or work in a shop or not.

Always a good idea if paying someone else to do your chains is too have a look at some chains they've sharpened. My Stihl dealer really went to town on some chains I left with him too sharpen. Removed a good 1/3+ off each tooth, cooked most of them & did'nt touch the rakers which is a must if your removing that much off the teeth. But I was busy, had a grinder on order in the mail & was left with hand files & cooked hardened cutters which is not the best combo. That was near a decade ago, I learned my lesson. On the subject of grinding wheels, a few months ago I stocked up with 6 new spares (2 in each size) & I'm with Philbert on the pink wheels, I like them & prefer them to CBN's. I can 'tune' the profile on them to get the side plate shape I want in our hardwood. Honestly the $5 pink wheels I buy I wouldn't swap for $100 high end wheels with big marketing claims attached too them. Its human nature too expect the more we pay for something, the better it must be. Often this is the case but not always.

@Philbert @CR888 I see both of you talking about pink wheels. I've got a Northern Hydraulic grinder from maybe 10 years ago I've never set up and am thinking I should try.I'd be interested in trying these wheels, Seems both Oregon and Molemab make pink wheels (although both are much more than CR888's $5). Which do y'all recommend? Or someone else's?

Put 2 more of those chains you did for me on some saws I got set up for sale yesterday. Both style of chain passed with flying colors again in the test cuts in dry ash.

If you recall I sent different brands and styles to see how the machines did with them.
Awesome, glad they are working out for ya yes I do remember the different ones.

A few years back, someone posted that the MoleMab wheels were slightly finer grit than the Oregon wheels.

MoleMab are usually cheaper, especially when on sale at Bailey's.

Philbert
I’ve tried almost all the pink wheels there is, and honestly the Franzen wheels are awesome. But I rarely use them cause they cost so much and I HATE reshaping wheels

I went digging and at some point I purchased Molemab wheels for the Northern Hydraulic grinder. Guess I need to dig out the old upgrade info and give it a shot. I've only ever filed (usually with a Granberg) so it will be interesting.

I’ve tried almost all the pink wheels there is, and honestly the Franzen wheels are awesome. But I rarely use them cause they cost so much and I HATE reshaping wheels
Do Franzen wheels fit Oregon type grinders (7/8"ID, 5-3/4" OD)?

'Dressing' is not really re-shaping, as much as it is exposing fresh abrasive - just a light touch normally does it.

Philbert

Do Franzen wheels fit Oregon type grinders (7/8"ID, 5-3/4" OD)?

'Dressing' is not really re-shaping, as much as it is exposing fresh abrasive - just a light touch normally does it.

Philbert
Hiya Philbert, yes Franzen wheels are 5 3/4 but the arbor hole is 12 mm. But I’m sure you could use a drill to SLOWLY make a bigger hole.
Your correct on the shaping and dressing. Shaping is where you shape the wheel and dressing is where you just touch it enough to clean it, BUT I can promise you this, if your doing a chain 18” and up , from when you start to finish that chain it will have a different shape. That’s why I hate using pink wheels. If you want a consistent shape then you gotta constantly be touching that wheel and then it wears out faster and at $30 to $35 a wheel, well , no way Mr.

Latest posts

Back