Ford 1801D

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
IMG_1899.PNG

anybody have any experience with the ford 1801D tractors? It looks decent. Could find the lift capacity or any specs online about it.

Considering trading my ar-15 plus $2,000 cash for the tractor.

That’s a deal for an industrial tractor. It might not have pto, but usually 3pt, remote hydraulic, and torque converter style transmission. If no serious issues, they usually get $5000 or more around here.

Those old tractors, I don't think had a "lift capacity". My 850 would lift anything but traction was an issue. I don't know anything about that model tractor but I'm sure it will lift everything u need it to and it probably around 2000 to 3000lbs. Tires look ok. I'm assuming the barrel is for weight to offset the loader weight. It has wheel weights and a frame that's a bit odd for an old tractor. I hope it's a diesel with the soot on the loader.

Does it have power steering?

Looks nice and heavy duty. Those tractors are nice in big spaces and on solid ground. I wouldn't take one into the woods unless there was a well established path.

I'm going to take a look this Saturday. Anybody have any tips or anything specific I should look at?

I'm sure it's going to have a few leaks here and there but look for that. Check the brakes. Tires are expensive so I would make sure that plays a part in your offer. I don't think dry rot is as big of a deal as low tread but it still looks bad. Things like working guages. It may not be a big deal to you if they don't work but when I sold my tractor the guy made a big deal about it because he had 6 other of the same tractor.

There's a difference in price between a well maintained tractor that was used regularly and stored in doors and a tractor that was left outside in the field and rarely used. The seals dry out and leak when they sit a lot.

With the soot on the loader it appears there was/is a exhaust leak. Make sure it isn't a broken manifold doing the leaking.

Bucket or what you can see doesn't look all beat up like most of that age.

:D Al

Pull the dipstick on the tranny, preferably before you start/move it. Check for water there. If left outside, they were notorious for getting water in there. Could freeze and prevent shifting/starting. Bought several at auctions like that, cheap, when no one could figure out what the issue was.

Welp I bought it. 1959 1801 D 4 speed with pto and rear hydraulics. Ended up at $1900 plus my $1200 ar-15. So $3100 into it. I think I did well. I haul her home next Saturday.

I have a question though, since it's a 4spd with pto and hydraulics does that make it an 1841?

Latest posts

Back