Ford Super Duty with the 5.4L

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anybody use a Ford Super Duty with the 5.4L engine to haul firewood or pull a trailer for firewood? How does it do?

Kevin

We acquired a 2001 with 211,000 miles on it.

F250 SC(for the kids) short box, 4x4, automatic, 4.10 gears.

With a set of trailer brakes, it's pretty capable to bring home alot of wood.

I'm considering a flat bed that dumps for this truck, even though its a single rear wheel, it gets into tighter places than the 1-ton, and fits the kids/gear, and 2/3cord of firewood.

Then get rid of this one ton, and wait for a 4x4 f450 supercab with 10' flatbed dump.

Last edited:
i would say with a 5.4l a little small but then again we have been using a little white chevy to haul wood.

We acquired a 2001 with 211,000 miles on it.

F250 SC(for the kids) short box, 4x4, automatic, 4.10 gears.

With a set of trailer brakes, it's pretty capable to bring home alot of wood.

Thanks. That's the info I like to see (gears, box size, transmission and so on). I've been browsing Autotrader online and doing some research on what my next truck will be after I sell my current truck and finish paying for the family wagon.

Kevin

i would say with a 5.4l a little small but then again we have been using a little white chevy to haul wood.

I would think gearing would play a big part. I just want my next truck to be the right truck to pull a cord of green Oak minimum (with some in the box) properly.

Kevin

If you go later.....2002 I think......the 5.4 was more powerful.

2001 though, the seat belt dinger, just push the red release on the receiver while the dinger is going off, and its quiet from then on.

I have a 2002 F 150 with the 5.4. Same motor that is in the Superduty. Only thing you need to watch out for is the spark plugs blowing out of the heads. Pre 2003 models only have two valve heads and only 2 1/2 to 3 threads holding the plugs in. Get the motor under alot of load and start to detonate from bad fuel then you will be in trouble.

I pulled a heavy ass Mustang GT home on a 24ft car hauler 500 miles at speeds over 65 with no problems. 135K miles on it at the time and never had any issues with the truck the 3 years I have owned it. I have the towing package on mine with a big tranny cooler and brake controller. I lack the 4.10 gearing though. Mine is 3.55. After all, it is just a super cab lariat.

I would think gearing would play a big part. I just want my next truck to be the right truck to pull a cord of green Oak minimum (with some in the box) properly.

Kevin

FirewoodOctNov2007014Small.jpg

Okay, so it isn't oak, but the dump trailer was 6-1/2 x 12' with 24" metal sides, and the truck was loaded tight also.

Yes, there were 3"wide straps holding the load in multiple places, and the ride home was pretty smooth.

Mines an 05 F250 w/ 5speed Torqshift auto trans. Pull 12,500# Backhoe and trailer.

Does OK for a 330 cubic inch engine LOL. If you want to pass a Camaro Going up hill get an oil burner...

If you're going to occasionally haul big loads does OK. I only get 9-10 MPG empty or loaded.

Brakes and a good brake controller are essential. I got the integrated TOW Command system and it works good.

I think I ordered 3:73's with limited slip.... truck weighs 6600# empty

The tranny makes the difference.

Oh yeah - This thing rides like a hay-rack rough!!!

Last edited:
Okay, so it isn't oak, but the dump trailer was 6-1/2 x 12' with 24" metal sides, and the truck was loaded tight also.

Yes, there were 3"wide straps holding the load in multiple places, and the ride home was pretty smooth.

I can't really tell from the pic, but does the hind end squat very much with the trailer loaded?

Kevin

Mines an 05 F250 w/ 5speed Torqshift auto trans. Pull 12,500# Backhoe and trailer.

Does OK for a 330 cubic inch engine LOL. If you want to pass a Camaro Going up hill get an oil burner...

If you're going to occasionally haul big loads does OK. I only get 9-10 MPG empty or loaded.

Brakes and a good brake controller are essential. I got the integrated TOW Command system and it works good.

I think I ordered 3:73's with limited slip.... truck weighs 6600# empty

The tranny makes the difference.

Oh yeah - This thing rides like a hay-rack rough!!!

Good info, thanks. I might have to change my future line of thought.

Kevin

I have had 3 different 3/4 ton 4WD Super Dutys for work over the years. Unfortunately I am being downsized to a Fusion:mad::mad: Each SD had a 5.4. I used to haul an 8000# trailer with no brakes

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Scary, I know. I had 3.73 and 4.11s. Currently I have the six speed auto with 3.73s, but I have had both 4 and 5 spd autos. Each one of them pulled and stopped the trailer with no drama. I had one 5.4L f-150 that pulled it just fine but stopping was another issue.

Power is fine with that load, and I would assume for more than you could safely or legally pull.

1 cord of soaking wet red oak in the bed doesn't even put it on both ends of the helpers, and power wise you can't tell its there. I am forbidden from pulling a personal trailer with the company vehicle, but if I wasn't you can bet I would pull a trailer loaded with the bed loaded too. I think the 5.4 is really an under rated engine.

I get around 15 MPG unloaded and more like 9-10 fully loaded. You won't win any races with a heavy load, but it will get you where you need to go.

Last edited:
From some specs I found on 2002 Super Duty's from Ford.

Max. trailer weights, auto transmission:

5.4L, F250 4x4, SC, 3.73 gears - 7100 lbs (same for the F350, SC, SRW)
5.4L, F250 4x4, SC, 4.10 gears - 8600 lbs (same for the F350, SC, SRW)

5.4L, F250 4x4, CC, 3.73 gears - 6900 lbs (same for the F350, CC, SRW)
5.4L, F250 4x4, CC, 4.10 gears - 8400 lbs (same for the F350, CC, SRW)

6.8L, F250 4x4, SC, 3.73 gears - 10500 lbs (same for the F350, SC, SRW)
6.8L, F250 4x4, SC, 4.30 gears - 12500 lbs (same for the F350, SC, SRW)

6.8L, F250 4x4, CC, 3.73 gears - 10300 lbs (same for the F350, CC, SRW)
6.8L, F250 4x4, CC, 4.30 gears - 12500 lbs (same for the F350, CC, SRW)

Payload:

F250, 4x4, SC, long bed, 2585 lbs
F250, 4x4, CC, long bed, 2390 lbs

F350, 4x4, SRW, SC, long bed, 3690 lbs
F350, 4x4, SRW, CC, long bed, 3495 lbs

I have thought that a Super Duty 6.8L, F350, 4x4, SRW, CC, 3.73, long bed would be a good replacement for my 1997 4.6L, F150, 4x4, SC, 3.55, short bed for proper firewood duties and other truck duties. BUT, from what I'm reading here a Super Duty 5.4L, F250, 4.10 (long bed, 4x4, CC) might be all that I need...not want :). I want to make the right choice when the time comes cause the next truck will have to last me for a long time. And I want to be a little 'over gunned' in case the need arises.

Kevin

Don't get me wrong this truck handles heavy loads OK. If you are going to use it as a regular load hauler. Get a oil burner or big gasser and a F350 or 450 suspension. :greenchainsaw:

Mines fine for occasional hauling.

Stopping and handling the load more important to me. Brakes on both trailer axles and keeping the GVW under the max on the trailer make stopping it no problem.

I'm usually a little heavy on the overall GVW w Illinois D tags but I try not to get too crazy LOL!

2005 was the furst ear for the 3 valve Triton 5.4. They are a liitle more snappy than earlier 5.4's.

Last edited:
That photo doesn't really show the grade of the land, the rig is pointed uphill. The only time it squats, is when there is 2/3cord of split wood in the bed and #10K on the 20' trailer. Even then, load it smartly and it isn't an issue. The stock brakes are surprisingly capable, but electric trailer brakes are the only way to roll.

The hitch insert configuration, raising the ball height when you have a heavy bed load and a trailer, can help with keeping things more level, just remember to pull it out before you drop the tailgate.

12.5 -13.0 mpg city/errands
17 highway to gtg's.

A neighbor has the V10, standard cab, long bed, and 8mpg loaded or empty is a serious drag in my opinion. His gearing is 4:10.

A supercab, with longbed is the ideal in my opinion, just get ready for lots of room for turning.

One other thing to look for, and it could take some doing, make sure you verify it has limited slip. Many of the 4x4 trucks do not have it, and if you go on the FORD Truck website and poke around the forum, you'll find plenty of information to help you find just what you are looking for.

You should see what gooseneck trailers allow you haul.......

my dad has a 99 F350 long bed extended cab with the v10. it will pull anything and it has 260,000 miles on it. only thing is ford heads on a v10 suck. we blew plugs out left and right until we bought aftermarket cast aluminum heads runs like a dream. constantly pulls a bobcat 763 with forks, bucket, and sweeper attachments. but then i also have a custom made triple axle 18' car trailer.

That photo doesn't really show the grade of the land, the rig is pointed uphill. The only time it squats, is when there is 2/3cord of split wood in the bed and #10K on the 20' trailer. Even then, load it smartly and it isn't an issue. The stock brakes are surprisingly capable, but electric trailer brakes are the only way to roll.

The hitch insert configuration, raising the ball height when you have a heavy bed load and a trailer, can help with keeping things more level, just remember to pull it out before you drop the tailgate.

12.5 -13.0 mpg city/errands
17 highway to gtg's.

A neighbor has the V10, standard cab, long bed, and 8mpg loaded or empty is a serious drag in my opinion. His gearing is 4:10.

A supercab, with longbed is the ideal in my opinion, just get ready for lots of room for turning.

One other thing to look for, and it could take some doing, make sure you verify it has limited slip. Many of the 4x4 trucks do not have it, and if you go on the FORD Truck website and poke around the forum, you'll find plenty of information to help you find just what you are looking for.

You should see what gooseneck trailers allow you haul.......

The 8 mpg for the 6.8L V10 would be rough. Your gas mileage for your 5.4L with 4.10 gears would work for me. Realistically, my hauling and pulling is 'occasional'. I would want decent gas mileage for running into town when my wife is using the other vehicle, camping trips, into town with the family to get an appliance or material and so on.

Hind end squatting could be handled with Timbren springs.

I like space, so I think a crewcab (long bed) would suit me better...but it makes for a looonngg truck.

Kevin

my dad has a 99 F350 long bed extended cab with the v10. it will pull anything and it has 260,000 miles on it. only thing is ford heads on a v10 suck. we blew plugs out left and right until we bought aftermarket cast aluminum heads runs like a dream. constantly pulls a bobcat 763 with forks, bucket, and sweeper attachments. but then i also have a custom made triple axle 18' car trailer.

For the record, what gears is he running, and is it 4x4 or 2wd. Also what kind of gas mileage does he get.

Kevin

i dont know off hand what gears he is running but empty i can get about 15mpg hwy and about 12mpg fully loaded down. it is a 4wd but if you need to pull something it will do it, its also the single rear wheel not dually. and has the 4 door with 8' bed. rides so smooth we call it the caddy

Last edited:
I had a 2004 F250 Superduty crew cab, short bed 4x4 with the V10. I got 12-13 mpg on the highway when empty. I had the 3.73 differential gears.

It was a good pulling truck, but did like the gas stations. Traded it for a 2004 Chevy 2500HD CC, SB 4x4 with the Duramax. Way more power and got 17-18 mpg on the highway. Loved that truck. I have a 2005 2500HD CC SB 4x4 6.0 gasser now and it gets 13-14 mpg on the highway.

I haven't driven a 5.4L Superduty to know how they pull. I bet it will do a fine job for the occasional heavy tow.

Back