Forest Creatures at Play... Or Were They?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfrazier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Take a look at this picture I took in about 1988. What's going on here? I'll tell you the answer right below the picture.

Cat-Upsidedown.jpg

Ok, are you done guessing?

The three pictures are actually in reverse order. The crew is actually pulling the cat back onto it's tracks - not the other way around.

How in the hell did the cat land there? Well, this was a high lead operation in Eastern Oregon. The cat was being used as the tail block across canyon, and had it's own bull line set to a tree and it's blade dug in. Yarder operator started to haul a big jag of logs out of the canyon, and pulled his rigging too tight. That combination snapped the cat's bull line to the tree and the weight of the logs and rigging flipped the cat and dragged it a ways. All the choker setters were ok, but it was one hell of a near miss, because all the logs and rigging came back down right at them.

I'll never forget that moment of silence before the answer come up from down the hill "We're all ok!"

Wow!
That was an interesting read! Thanks for the pictures too :)

Glad everyone was OK

Latest posts

Back