Forester Bars Any Good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the Forester bars use the same tips as Oregon bars, so it'd be very easy to turn it into .404.

About the quality, I've never handled one. From what I've HEARD pretty much everything but Cannon bars are pretty darned floppy over 36". If the bar sagging in the middle is an issue for milling, maybe this isn't the right choice. Compared to a new Cannon, yes the Forester price is very appealing. Deals are out there though. I paid $225 shipped for my 50" Cannon in very good shape. If you're not in a hurry, keep your eyes peeled and something will pop up.

I have a green label Forrester bar in 20". It's a good bar. I also have a tsumura 20" bar and when I was dressing the rails, the Forester was harder to file than the tsumura. I was surprised by this since the tsumura are known for their hardness.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I have GB Brand Bars in 44", 60", and 72", I recently got the 72", and haven't had mounted on a saw yet, but I wouldn't consider the GB bars to be Floppy. The GB bars are made in Australia, @BobL is a Milling Guru, and he is in Oz, maybe he will have some comments about GB Bars

I'm Pretty sure that the Huskvarna branded bars up to 36" are produced by Oregon, and the Husqvarna bars from 44" on up are the GB Titanium alloy bars.

Unfortunately, the prices have gone up, but Alamia, in Denver had some Excellent prices on the GB long bars, it's been a couple years, but as I recall, the 44" was $210 Shipped, the 50" was $235 shipped, and the 60" was $300 shipped. I,m Really Regretting not ordering a 50" back then, as they seem to be NLA in the US any more. 2 or 3 weeks before I decided to order a 50", there were 3 different vendors showing them in stock, then when I went to order one NOBODY had any, or could get any.

I was able to contact GB directly, and they still had them, around mid February when all the China Virus issues were beginning, my jaw hit the floor when he quoted over $500 shipped to the US:surprised3::oops::crazy2:, then I checked the exchange rate, he had quoted me in Aus $, it worked out to about $375 shipped. Then my Wife, who is a Hairstylist, was ordered to close her Salon, so I have held off on ordering one, but still plan on checking with GB again, when things settle out a bit.

I'm Pretty sure it was BobL, that had a swing up magnet that supported the middle of long bars, until he got the cut started, then the wood supports the bar, and sag isn't a problem.

Doug :cheers:

I have GB Brand Bars in 44", 60", and 72", I recently got the 72", and haven't had mounted on a saw yet, but I wouldn't consider the GB bars to be Floppy. The GB bars are made in Australia, @BobL is a Milling Guru, and he is in Oz, maybe he will have some comments about GB Bars

I'm Pretty sure that the Huskvarna branded bars up to 36" are produced by Oregon, and the Husqvarna bars from 44" on up are the GB Titanium alloy bars.

Unfortunately, the prices have gone up, but Alamia, in Denver had some Excellent prices on the GB long bars, it's been a couple years, but as I recall, the 44" was $210 Shipped, the 50" was $235 shipped, and the 60" was $300 shipped. I,m Really Regretting not ordering a 50" back then, as they seem to be NLA in the US any more. 2 or 3 weeks before I decided to order a 50", there were 3 different vendors showing them in stock, then when I went to order one NOBODY had any, or could get any.

I was able to contact GB directly, and they still had them, around mid February when all the China Virus issues were beginning, my jaw hit the floor when he quoted over $500 shipped to the US:surprised3::oops::crazy2:, then I checked the exchange rate, he had quoted me in Aus $, it worked out to about $375 shipped. Then my Wife, who is a Hairstylist, was ordered to close her Salon, so I have held off on ordering one, but still plan on checking with GB again, when things settle out a bit.

I'm Pretty sure it was BobL, that had a swing up magnet that supported the middle of long bars, until he got the cut started, then the wood supports the bar, and sag isn't a problem.

They are pretty floppy compared to a Cannon when falling timber, when you go to make a sight cut or a back cut that chain will throw every time with that narrow belly. Will a Cannon throw as well yes they can and do but if you have to start a cut with one it is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are pretty floppy compared to a Cannon when falling timber, when you go to make a sight cut or a back cut that chain will throw every time with that narrow belly. Will a Cannon throw as well yes they can and do but if you have to start a cut with one it is possible.

In bringing the cost down the bars appear to be more floppy now. That is kinda bad if the chain flips or throws off every time. Thanks for the tips. So the older bars that have a lot of belly is where it is at.

In bringing the cost down the bars appear to be more floppy now. That is kinda bad if the chain flips or throws off every time. Thanks for the tips. So the older bars that have a lot of belly is where it is at.

It’s not just the older bars, Cannon’s are still made this way today for the long bars 42”+.

It’s not just the older bars, Cannon’s are still made this way today for the long bars 42”+.

I have said many times, that I value your opinion, and I’m Not going to question it Now ;)

So far, I have had Excellent Results Milling with the GB bars, but the mill frame and having the nose end clamped probably helps stiffen the bar up considerably when milling, compared to free saw falling

The chance of throwing the chain while milling can be reduced by using wedges to keep the Kerf open, so you’re not pulling so much on the back side of the chain. I probably use more wedges than I need to, but I have been Happy with my results so far, and haven’t thrown a chain yet while milling. I have them, no sense in leaving them sit in the toolbox

I have said many times, that I value your opinion, and I’m Not going to question it Now ;)

So far, I have had Excellent Results Milling with the GB bars, but the mill frame and having the nose end clamped probably helps stiffen the bar up considerably when milling, compared to free saw falling

The chance of throwing the chain while milling can be reduced by using wedges to keep the Kerf open, so you’re not pulling so much on the back side of the chain. I probably use more wedges than I need to, but I have been Happy with my results so far, and haven’t thrown a chain yet while milling. I have them, no sense in leaving them sit in the toolbox

Milling I would think you would want the narrow or flatter bars unless you’re running a smaller power head the belly bar would allow for more chip clearance.

I am looking at getting a 50" or 52" bar for my setup. Found this Forester bar on Amazon for $219 shipped. Seems like a good deal. I was hoping for 404 chain but this one only comes in 3/8.

What do you guys think? Is there a better bar out there for the price? Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/Forester-52-...9527&sprefix=52+inch+chainsaw+,aps,203&sr=8-1

I've got the 62" bar and it runs like a champ on my 2100. I got it from a site called toolstorm.ca, they're in Edmonton I'm on Vancouver Island and it was like $360 CAD shipped and they had a deal on where they threw in a loop of chain as well. The free chain was Carlton, cuts the same as oregon, both are full house ripping chain. I've been running that bar for about a yr now, and I'd say it wears similar to an Oregon bar. Honestly for that price I could probably buy 2 Forrester bars and outlast a Cannon bar, they wear too afterall. As for sag, the powerhead seems to even it out, all of my slabs start and finish with the centers being the same thickness as the edges. I actually find the bellied bars to be more difficult to start compared to the flatter profile of the Forrester bar. Just my 2 cents
That's it in the background btw

Attachments

• 20200515_172516.jpg
    20200515_172516.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21

Yes I have notice that Cannon has done this on there 42" + bars and is a good reason to buy one. Just pointed out that older bars is an option for some on a budget.

GB Bars. I have one very happy with it. Who has a spare nose sprocket for it.

Back