Forestry management/stewardship plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have about 25 acres of forested hardwoods and I need to submit a management plan to the state for tax purposes , and the USDA for programs to improve the woodlot. The state used to have a program/funds to subsidize writing the plans but they were slashed for upcoming year.

I am wondering if anyone has written their own plan without being a licensed Forester? I have started on mine but may have to seek advice on some aspects/details. I'm hoping not to have to hire someone as money is tight right now.

I am quite framiliar with the land, the trees ,and their condition. I grew up on the property and have been cutting wood for cordwood and small amounts for my own portable sawmill. I also worked in a commercial mill for a while and know a bit about judging trees/sawlogs.

The stand consists of mostly hardwoods: sugar maple, ash and cherry; some eastern white pine stands mixed in. There are small amounts of: red oak, white yellow and black birch, beech, hickory, hemlock, red maple; along with a few other hardwood species. There is little to no open canopy and the stand needs to have dead/dying removed along with some thinning, to open the canopy and provide light for seed trees to regenerate species such as the red oak present in small numbers.

I plan on keeping the land and hope to continue harvesting the dead trees and low quality for firewood and generate some trees for my own lumber. Besides that I want to: increase the quality of the standing timber, and the land for wildlife habitat (I've hunted it since a child). There is enough maple to consider partial management for sugarbush. Any large harvesting would be years down the road.

One of My main issues with writing my own plan is estimating the standing lumber present and estimating annual productivity. I do have a good licensed Forester friend but don't want to take advantage of our friendship without a good head start on the write up. I have had a walk through with one of the State Foresters already and he certainly gave me some good advice, and willing to look at a draft of my plan.

Any thoughts or advice? I can provide more details if anyone can help

Appears to be a handy tool thanks! But............

I'm in New England. I can map the areas, but the acreage is a bit off (ca. 30% too much), and then there is only west coast tree species. I'm looking at white ash sugar maple black cherry red oak beech etc.

Know if there is an app like that for New England states?

What state are you in? I am surprised that the state forester didn't offer to prepare a free plan for you. NY offers this service. Also the federal Environmental Quality Incentive Program (EQIP) may have financial help to develop a conservation activity plan (CAP) that essentially meets or exceeds stewardship plan requirements.

Another tool to look @ My Land Plan. Also the Northeast Research Center of the USFS has some planning tools and other software @ http://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/tools/ned/products/fspg/.

Well property is in western mass where there are still some good people. FU piSITTSfield springfield and bi/LGBTV and aminal gay hamptom .

Ma USED to have money to pay for plans, I have touched Ma State foresters. Money is GONE. I'm just asking for suggestions: That could be a whole thread!!!!

I'm not: PC LGTV Animal rights, ( they screw them too) ban me if so . Do it NOW!

What state are you in? I am surprised that the state forester didn't offer to prepare a free plan for you. NY offers this service. Also the federal Environmental Quality Incentive Program (EQIP) may have financial help to develop a conservation activity plan (CAP) that essentially meets or exceeds stewardship plan requirements.

Another tool to look @ My Land Plan. Also the Northeast Research Center of the USFS has some planning tools and other software @ http://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/tools/ned/products/fspg/.

Thanks for the links, too bad they are Windows only apps : (

I have talked about the EQIP with the local USDA, he did not mention that funds were available for forest management plans, but did mention agricultural and forest improvement funds..

Mom's old farm is in western taxsachsetts, nothing free from the state, surprised they don't charge for air

I always wanted to write up a forestry plan, but I think a good one is fraught with adjectives and buzzwords such as sustained yeild, bio diversity, product utilization, species diversity, fuel abatement, recreational pursuits, habitat enhancement etc.

Let me ask a friend of mine. He's out in western MA and has his property under a forestry plan for decades. I'll ask how he's doing it now.

Latest posts

Back