Found a couple poulan top handles.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I’ve been wanting a top handle saw for tree jobs. Today I took a pickup to the trans shop and came across a pair on the trader there. I’m not sure about condition but for $20 each I’ll take my chances. Both are complete and feel good when I pull the ropes.

Poulan is a 180 and the craftsman is 2.0
CEA7C820-C1B8-4994-AD55-2A677A77D75D.jpeg

If you need anything for those little top handles I've got a couple parts saws. They're yours for the price of the ride!!
Sweet thank you! From initial inspection looks like I may just need to clean the tanks, fuel lines and carbs. But who knows till you dive in

Nice score.
I think I have the same Craftsman saw. Mine only needed a fuel line and crank seals (I got mine on eBay, $35 shipped). It runs like a champ.

Open up the muffler and remove 1 of the baffles. Take the other baffle and cut out the grid of holes, making it 1 large square hole. Reassemble the muffler with only this baffle, creating the larger internal cavity on the engine side of the muffler (I hope that makes sense). Retune it and tear sh!t up.

I would not recommend removing both baffles. That would create a straight shot from the muffler opening into the cylinder.

They both started right up on prime. The yellow one didn’t have. Fuel line at all so I put a new one on but it wouldn’t suck fuel. I’m going to clean the carb before I buy a kit.

The silver one has a new fuel line but they broke the fuel inlet off, where might I find this part?

I’m thinking leave the yellow one stock and maybe work some magic on the silver 2.0.

They both started right up on prime. The yellow one didn’t have. Fuel line at all so I put a new one on but it wouldn’t suck fuel. I’m going to clean the carb before I buy a kit.

The silver one has a new fuel line but they broke the fuel inlet off, where might I find this part?

I’m thinking leave the yellow one stock and maybe work some magic on the silver 2.0.

I don't think there is an inlet connection. Mine had only a hole in the tank. Get a fuel line that has an OD slightly larger than the hole and pull it through.

I got old 30(2.0) and 38(2.3) metal craftsmans. Both need a little fuel system work, but I haven't felt like messin with them yet.
Hope you get them going!

What do I do with the return line on the new carbs?
The carb in the ebay listing is not for you. It's for a 1990-2004 non strato 36cc or 42cc saw w/ purge circuit.
The best remedy is clean & rebuild your carb with a kit. Check your carb model - probably a WT-20 or WT-3. Takes K10-WAT.
If rebuild doesn't work, it becomes a hassle. Best I've done is take an MS180 carb and adapt: throttle hole, remove choke rod, grind idle screw head.

Here’s the carb I bought. Look like it’s the same carb but has a return nd linkage is different.

I pieced the 2 old carbs together and got one saw running tonight. I guess I’ll try to put this one on the other saw.
090666D1-C050-4FDF-8AFD-DB9E054D27F5.jpeg D6E130E1-3A4F-401F-AD06-C4C2DDC477A9.jpeg

The carb in the ebay listing is not for you. It's for a 1990-2004 non strato 36cc or 42cc saw w/ purge circuit.
The best remedy is clean & rebuild your carb with a kit. Check your carb model - probably a WT-20 or WT-3. Takes K10-WAT.
If rebuild doesn't work, it becomes a hassle. Best I've done is take an MS180 carb and adapt: throttle hole, remove choke rod, grind idle screw head.
Biggest problem with the carb I have left is the broken fuel inlet barb. Gaskets left over are rock hard and torn too but I can get you from a kit or this new carb looks like.

Maybe you can replace inlet barb - I've never done it. Maybe someone can chime in. They do rotate, so should come out. Trick is getting a good seal with new barb.
2nd pic above. Probably work with adaptions. Close off return nipple. Maybe need a new throttle link hole. Remove choke rod assy - I stick a bolt, washer, nut in it's place to keep side air from entering. Biggest problem is fuel barb is straight towards clutch - it needs to be 90* toward rear.

I made a huge mistake last year. I loaned this saw to a guy that I thought would treat it with respect:
Poulan XXV-1.JPG
He ran it dry with no bar oil and then straight gassed it. I loved this little saw. It's now in chain saw heaven.:cry:

I will never loan out another chainsaw for as long as I live.

Latest posts

Back