Found a Kelly Works Axe, Questions:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BusyBeaver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was reading on here recently a thread that got off onto axes, particularly Kelly axes. Several years ago I found an axhead in our woods and I hung it on a nail in my woodshed. I went out and looked and sure enough it is a Kelly. It says " Kelly Works", no other markings.IMG_5955.JPG IMG_5956.JPG
I'll try to post a picture. I'm trying to figure out if it is worth saving, or should I just clean it up, sharpen it and use it.
It is rusty but in good shape. What should I do?

Use it. I've rescued a multitude of axe heads this year. Even the rare ones, a couple of Winchester Firearms axes, get put to use. They were made from amazing steel with the purpose of striking wood. Strike wood!

Here's one of the Winchester's which I rehung, sharpened and did a fun little Paracord wrap on:

IMG_20170608_204929077.jpg

Piece of junk, you can send it my way.
. Really, it looks like a nice Jersey pattern. Flint edge or Kelley perfect most likely.Clean it up with a wire wheel or if you want it bare metal again soak in white vinegar for a day so. Find looking head in my opinion. Great start to a tool that can give years of use.

If you really want to know about it, ask in the "Axe, Tomohawk, and Hatchet Forum" on Bladeforums.com. But be prepared for the guys who won't be satisfied until it is rehung and restored totally to factory spec, even if you never plan to use it!

*I am not affiliated with bladeforums in any way, shape or form. I just send people there to get info on axes.

Back