"Found" an 088 on CL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemniii

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know I've often downplayed the need for more cubes. I was constantly advising "you don't need an 880, a 660 will do.".

Well it will UNTIL you see one so cheap it has to join your equipment pile.

attachment.php

View attachment 252280

088, circa 2000
Unmodified
Moderate usage. just tuned (he couldn't get it running right after it had sat around) and fired on 3rd pull when cold to the touch.

With, as pictured, 2 cases, 36" bar. several chains, tools.
An Alaskan Mark III and a bar guard.

Now I'm not sure why the previous owner only bought a 36" bar for hardwood around here.

So, for $450, did I do good?

Where to get DP muffler and other 088 specific parts? Apparently Bailey's no longer carries parts online for the 088/880.

sounds like you did pretty damn good! Thats basically what paid for my 460 and it didn't come with anything other than a 20" bar and chain.

Very nice catch but you have to be given an official AS "YOU SUCK".

sounds like you did pretty damn good! Thats basically what paid for my 460 and it didn't come with anything other than a 20" bar and chain.
I paid $500 for my first (Ebay) 660 powerhead only back in '09.

When I saw $450 for this combo I knew it wouldn't last long. I just couldn't believe my luck that there were two no-shows in front of me.

Now I need to get a good buy on a 6' bar :)

you goy a heluva deal there.
i don't think there is a duel port muffler for that saw, you can enlarge the original outlet, then reinstall the spark screen and deflector..
i sent my 880 to randy (mastermind) for surgery, have'nt even run it since it came back home, but i did notice that i'm gonna want to modify/enlarge the deflector cause the brake assy. is now getting much more direct heat and would be melting with alot of use..

congrats to you on the saw,,

x-mas in September !!! Good luck finding a 6' bar chea.p. Seems if they are 3' or longer they start making them out of gold.

Can't really tell from the pick but that looks like a 30" bar, check the numbers.

Ka - CHING !!!!! Touchdown......................
Good to see those deals are still around.

Dual porting being a forward facing exhaust is relatively poor design on any milling saw. When milling the top half of the log It bounces the exhaust off the side of the log and up into the operators face. It's far better if the exhaust blows downwards or preferably away from the operator.

Ka - CHING !!!!! Touchdown......................
Good to see those deals are still around.

Dual porting being a forward facing exhaust is relatively poor design on any milling saw. When milling the top half of the log It bounces the exhaust off the side of the log and up into the operators face. It's far better if the exhaust blows downwards or preferably away from the operator.
I'm really not planning into milling it in the classic "crunched over the Alaskan" pose. I've done the "knees in the snow pushing down low" enough to get my t-shirt.

I edukate reel kwick.

Since this saw weighs in at 20+ pounds before the bar and chain and Alaskan, I'm planning on using it for big slabs with two people on it.

Or sitting in my chair like you do, and watching it mill :)

Also for hooking up with a 6' bar and mounting it in my ""man cave" when not in use.

Box is worth a hundred , and the mill two hundered , those no show s are gonna be crying . I gave 600 and mine was rough looking but sure run nice , its stumpbroke now and has a bad attitude:hmm3grin2orange:

wow,super score. even if you didnt need it, it would be worth more to flip than you have in it! i like the custom storage boxes ,too.

Finally got back from Mississippi and got a chance to run it and go over the Alaskan. Seemed to run well, only had a few small (< 12") limbs to cut. Alaskan has a couple of substituted nuts.

Still can't figure out why he bought an 088, a 36" Alaskan, and a 36" bar. But I'm glad he did.

Back