found my old mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samhop

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Dump find 40 years ago then i put it under a storage shed 10 years ago really did not think i would ever use it. Im hopping to salvage the ends with the uprights off the bar and the clamping cross pieces the 3 horizontal pieces that make the slide have rollers on them and are rusted up and frozen. the bar is rusted and i think its junk.
IMG_4821.JPG
IMG_4817.JPG
IMG_4818.JPG

well they dont make um like they used to. i got the rollers freed up there on 1/2"rod with an alum. bushing. havent pulled one yet but i think if i get some 4041 rod i can make stretch out the mills capacity.
IMG_4827.JPG
the bar really surprised me it cleaned up well I think its usable. but you know what thought did .
IMG_4825.JPG
IMG_4824.JPG
rails seem ok
IMG_4823.JPG
now i need to figure out what size and link chain i need.

bar is 43.5" long from end to end 35" from the inside of the bar bolt notch.
0.196 wide
chain grove depth is 0.32 at the shallowest point
and "dime" wide 0.050 to 0.048 wide probably some rust and dirt still in there.
Anyone have any idea how to spec the link count on the chain
3/8"x0.050"x? DL
or do i jest buy a 25' spool of 3/8 x 0.050 ripping chain, put on helper handle and saw make my own

Wow are those rollers??? If so amazing, that will make the job easier.

What’s up with all the oil holes? Universal compatibility?

got the rollers freed up the tube is electrical conduit so i can reuse the bushing/bearings with longer tubes. I am getting 3 - 1/2" round stock in 4014 alloy that are 72" long so i can run a 60" bar. Not sure how well the rollers will work. Square edge might clear - plow the surface better the rollers might role over wood chips changing cut depth rather than push it out of the way.
hole pattern is the same at both ends plenty of options its a 1cm slot the holes farthest from thee ends are for ex-oil.
still need an adapter to run that bar with 390xp and i have to find my rivet spinner to make a chain.IMG_4827.JPG

Measure the slot width on that bar, it looks like a McCulloch mount. Probably fits large frame Homelites too.

now idea what mount it is slot is 1,cm. only bar i found that looks close is a Blue babe bar .
thanks for any help with ID

IMG_4845.JPG
now the slot with the helper handle is 10mm and the one with the kit saw is 14mm had to drill 2 more oil holes. Next I need to see if i can get the chain made up and mounted

I found a guy with 2 rolls of obsolete chain to make me up a loop for my 31" Poulan bar. He brought the roll out, stretched it around the bar, overlapped it one link and made me up one. It turned out a little loose, so he took one link back out, perfect.

thanks i went as short as i could with both ends of the bar saw and helper handle adjusted in as short as they would go. worked ok
the kit saw spun the fly wheel and munched the key way. so thats out of action till the mail from china gets hear.
got a piece of cherry i want to mill but dont know if its ok to do it green 4 months or if i should weight a year or so before cutting it

still need to add the ex-oil and take the chain to 10 degrees.
probably should run a few tanks through it before i mill
what should i start with Green Cherry or 3 year standing dead oak?

IMG_4847.JPG

I got to try out my old Granburg chainsaw mill did some 5/4 Cheery planks went well considering i have never milled anything before thanks to everyone that contributes all the good info hear. props to BobL hope your doing alright with the fires down there.
only problems were one of the 2 small wheels that are on the bottom of the mill closest to the saw fell off and stuck on the bark and stop the saw 2 times on the second cut and left a little groove. once i realized what was happening and held the saw back off the wheels worked without hanging.
the other issue was the 3 rollers on the top of the mill i had left the stops loose and the end caps that act as barrings fell out and the saw went out of line at the start of a cut but i saw it and stopped before the bar was half way in so it was jest a bad start.
put the planks up in the hay mow and staked with sticks
IMG_4860.JPG
IMG_4861.JPG IMG_4862.JPG

anyone got a feeling on how thick should I make Oak slabs from some 3 year standing dead.

Depends what you want to build!

nothing on the drawing board for build plans. but want to try and do some slabs for live edge "or whats left of it" table , coffee table, bench, or try to sell.
I dont sell cord wood anymore. Cant burn all the dead wood, I dont get to most of it till the sap wood and all the small diameter branches are gone and i hate to see the large trunks all go in the stove.

Back