Four wheeler won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolbrze

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum for this post but was hoping y'all that know more about wrenching could help me. I've got a 2013 Arctic Cat 700 cc quad & it won't start. I replaced the battery & when I turn the key, I hear what I think is the fuel pump (like it used to) but then when I push the start button just loud clicking. I tried bypassing the solenoid next to the battery but all it did was send out a bunch of sparks. Connections on the battery are clean & tight. I'm thinking starter or solenoid but not sure. Any help is greatly appreciated?

Check the oil level in the crankcase?
Can you turn over the engine manually to make sure it’s not frozen?
If you jumped the starter, plus if the engine is free, I’d check the connections first, clean your ground wire.
If all the above is done and still won’t turn over I’d pull the starter next.

If you bypassed the solenoid and it just shot sparks chances are the solenoid went bad and it’s not doing it’s job, I’m no expert but I feel as if though if the starter was bad, you wouldn’t even hear that clicking or anything of the sort

Check the oil level in the crankcase?
Can you turn over the engine manually to make sure it’s not frozen?
If you jumped the starter, plus if the engine is free, I’d check the connections first, clean your ground wire.
If all the above is done and still won’t turn over I’d pull the starter next.

I agree. Can you turn the engine over manually? There should be a cover (alternator?) where you can turn it over with a socket.

But I always start with "What did I do to the machine since it last ran?" .

My first Polaris 400L sport quad they put the starter on the bottom. Of course I was the captain of the u- boat many times, dive, dive, dive under water I went. I didn’t know the fresh air intake was under the cowl in the front. I fixed a few starters,

I forgot to mention, oil level is fine. I was driving it, turned it off, got back on a few minutes later then it wouldn't start. No water, mud. etc. The clicking sounds like it's coming from the solenoid, not the starter. The new battery I just put in tested at 12.4 V which I hear is only 80% of what it should be at. Battery connections are super clean & snug so it's not that. Would it be OK to hook up my battery charger on start mode to the battery while it's connected to the quads wires & try to start it then or would the engine start mode mess something up?

It may be too much amperage. You can boost it with a vehicle but DO NOT run boosting vehicle. Batteries showing good voltage may not turn over a motor. I replaced a battery for my AC 400 on warranty that showed good voltage but failed a load test. Get yours load tested.

Thanks guys. My 2 chargers have a 75A engine start mode & a 200A engine start mode. I will check the on/off switch & see. Will also load test the new battery...

I hooked up the quad battery cables to my truck w/ a good set of jumper cables & it still clicks so I guess it's not the battery. So starter or solenoid? Should it start if I touch the solenoid points w/ a screwdriver? I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to on but when I press the start button it only clicks...

first remove the spark plugs and see if the motor is free..
do not use the starter motor to check to see if it is free.
go for the crank shaft and turn it by hand if the plugs are out. it should spin sort of free by hand or by socket wrench..
depending on how strong you are ! lol!

then remove the starter and bench test the starter.
see if the starter runs.

Back