Fransgard SK1400 vs Frostbite vs Sundown/Igland GR40?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbuildalot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am debating on getting a log specific grapple to use on my Kioti NX4510. Doing some research, I have narrowed it down to these 3. I currently have a Worksaver 60" root style grapple, but it does not work ideally on logs. I was at the dealer about a week ago for a quick attach snow plow conversion, and while I was there I saw the Fransgard and the Frostbite, I believe he also has, or can get the Sundown. He quoted me $1699 on the Frostbite and $1799 on the Fransgard. Either one would be setup with hoses and couplings to use on the Quick attach. The Fransgard opens significantly wider, and weighs more. He seemed to think the tractor would handle either just fine.

Through research online it seems...

Igland/Sundown---is the cheapest, but also has no bushings or grease fittings
Frostbite---is slightly more money, but has better construction, bronze bushings and grease fittings
Fransgard---is most expensive, heaviest, but likely has best construction and larger opening capacity

If I had a smaller tractor like a Kubota B series, or a Kioti CK, I would likely lean towards the Frostbite, but seeing how the tractor is fairly substantial in size and weight and a 2800 lb full height lift capacity I am leaning towards the Fransgard. Occasionally I get monster rounds, and up to 4' diameter logs to contend with. Usually, they are more in the 12"-30" range. I do recall reading that the other grapples can have add on teeth extensions and a rock plate. Those items however would push the price to likely exceed that of the Fransgard.

Looking for any input from those who have any of these, to guide me to an informed decision!

Thanks men

Depends on how much you plan on using it. If you are using it everyday I would go for the fransgard. Using it every weekend or less I think frostbite or igland is perfect. I have a friend who burns 25-30 cord a year and uses his frostbite all the time and it shows no real signs of wear after years of use.

I will mostly be using it for personal use. May also be using it for future milling down the line. Certainly not daily, but I do prefer to buy quality products.

Personally, for all of my logging and around the BSM, I MUCH prefer pallet forks with a matching grapple!!

They are just so much more useful than a dedicated grapple!

Especially for cutting firewood and sorting/moving logs!

I may think different IF I was some big time logger, but I'm not, and I find my combo will do so many more things, over a dedicated grapple.

SR

For those with a pallet fork thumb/grapple, where did you purchase it and what was the cost? Including lines, fittings, welding, etc?

Last year before we bought our machine I rented a telehandler with forks to finish out our season. It worked but it was a pain to keep the logs on the forks if you had a little snow/ice on the logs. Depending on how the logs were stacked it wasn't always easy to get the forks under the same log. So once we got our machine this year we bought a grapple from Brute force. https://bruteforcemfg.com/products/log-grapple-skid-steer/

I haven't used it yet but it is pretty heavy duty, grease zerks where they should be, looks like a quality piece of equipment. I think it was $1,500.00 and they dropped it off at my shop on there way down to the Paul Bunyan show in Ohio. There located up north Wisconsin. For just moving logs you want to be able to clamp down on them to move them. With just the forks on the tele handler you had to go pretty slow so they didn't fall off the forks. Were using it on a JCB Teletruk though. Its a 7,000lb 4 wheel drive telescopic forklift.

IMG_3545.JPG IMG_3546.JPG IMG_3547.JPG IMG_3386.JPG IMG_3387.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

That looks just like the igland and frostbite grapples. The fransgard opens about a foot wider which would be nice for brush. I see my dealer has a set of woods forks with a danuser grapple for $2300. I already have woods forks. Maybe he'll sell just the grapple for less.

I did some more research and it looks like adding a grapple to my forks will be quite a bit heavier than having a dedicated grapple.

This fork/grapple combo from Titan weighs in at 611 lbs.

https://www.palletforks.com/pallet-fork-grapple-version-2-with-48-fork-blades.html

Just a fork grapple from Titan weighs 415 lbs.

https://www.palletforks.com/pallet-fork-grapple-version-2-no-forks.html?

My Woods forks are considerably heavier than the Titan forks. If I add a hydraulic grapple to my forks which are 409 lbs by themselves, I think the entire setup will be at least around 750-800 lbs. total. Too heavy in my opinion. In comparison a

Fransgard SK1400 is 463 lbs

and a...

Igland or a Frostbite is 359 lbs

So by going with a fork with grapple setup I'm losing most likely 300-400 lbs of lift capacity.

Back