Freaking robbed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does the law have to say?

They have yet to either prevent, nor recover anything stolen from the farm here, or the boss's shop in town. Complete waste of time. If you can catch them in the act or if you find your stuff and can prove it, they will act.

Live and learn, I am handling my own security now. At least one aspect of my previous security worked, not storing everything in the same place. They didn't get everything.

I am going to dig up the loot somehow and put in my own hidden surveillance system around where I am. Some extra gear is going to be sold or swapped off, the remainder will be disbursed properly and securely. I can't protect everyplace here, it is just too large, but I can some, and have the nerd skills, just lack the gear, but I will scrounge it up somehow, used if I have to. I mean, made it 8 years here so far without a successful hit.

Crime is bad, starting to be all over. Too many out of work, too many meth heads and crackheads, etc. Desperate and or insane people ..do desparate and insane things.

It doesn't matter, every generation has had security issues, especially out in the sticks, you win some you lose some. Imagine going out with a stick in one hand and a rock in the other to go get food, and have to dodge like giant cave bears/wolves/sabre toothed tigers, etc. Every day.

We still have it easy. I am still well past annoyed over it, but..I move on, learn from my mistakes.

I got robbed once years ago when I lived real rural and remote, first good snow of the season. snowmobile tracks right up to the fro9nt door, they got my saw/axe/gas stove/ etc. Everything I actually needed to live in a no utilities rough living old cabin. I raised most of my food, well over 90%, heated with wood exclusively, used a lantern, for lights and a small gas stove only on real rainy days in the summer. all that and my hand tools stolen.

I was REAL annoyed then and to this day I can't stand snowmobiles or ATVS very much...
That's besides the point. They didn't get my big crosscut, that was hidden, or my little token of civilization, a transistor radio.. next big snowfall, the day before, I cut down the largest biggest honkiest tree there was on the trail that went towards my cabin.

Opps, they couldnt' drive through. Next storm the snow was too deep, even without the tree, they couldn't get through. That worked. No one cut the tree either, and I let it be known around the area I was gonna..well..use your imagination there..if it happened again. Go medieval. I was a known mountain man wildguy around there...hahahah!

I replaced my tools, started making jar candles for light instead of using a lantern and buying kerosene or laoil, and cooked on the woodstove rain or shine. Hid my tools well whenever I left the immediate cabin area.

No more thefts after that until I moved some years later. Live and learn.

There is no perfect security, but you can layer in what you can do and afford.

At least if the cops know what got robbed the stuff might show up some day and they can get it back to you.

Thread reminds me of the time my father died. Brother in law advised me to move everything valuable on the farm to his farm. I gave him Dad's guns but said the heck with moving all this stuff. No one around here will steal it. Returned from the funeral to find the kitchen door kicked in and the house ransacked. Returned to the farm about a month later, I live out of state, and asked my sister what she did with the tractor, log splitter and buzz saw stored in the barn. Still there as far as she knew. Turned out the neighbor across the street stole all of it. Supposedly they where Dad's friends for decades.

Wow, some lurky friends. Amazing for decades long friends. Ya never know.

anything come up in the story zogger?

Lately, one set of kids in the closest neighborhood got popped for burglary and are in jail, then some adult the other direction got popped and is in jail. That guy supposedly moved "some saws" (according to someone heard that someone said, etc..) but they are gone, weren't there when the cops got him.

Thread reminds me of the time my father died. Brother in law advised me to move everything valuable on the farm to his farm. I gave him Dad's guns but said the heck with moving all this stuff. No one around here will steal it. Returned from the funeral to find the kitchen door kicked in and the house ransacked. Returned to the farm about a month later, I live out of state, and asked my sister what she did with the tractor, log splitter and buzz saw stored in the barn. Still there as far as she knew. Turned out the neighbor across the street stole all of it. Supposedly they where Dad's friends for decades.

For real!?! Did you get the guy arrested, or did he just fast resell all the stuff and get away with it?

That there is just creepy.

You know I have read about that as warnings to people before, that crooks watch the funeral notices so they know what house is unoccupied and when.

Just an idea for storage other than in the hosue. Take a good strong log chain and a GOOD padlock. Run the chain threw the rear and/or top handle and lock those saw to something thats not gonna move. 9 outta 10 times scum bags are looking for a quick easy buck. If its too hard they tend to move to the next easy score.

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using Tapatalk 2

Just an idea for storage other than in the hosue. Take a good strong log chain and a GOOD padlock. Run the chain threw the rear and/or top handle and lock those saw to something thats not gonna move. 9 outta 10 times scum bags are looking for a quick easy buck. If its too hard they tend to move to the next easy score.

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using Tapatalk 2

Gotta slow em down anyway.

It's almost like you need a concrete and steel bunker to store your stuff. Sucks.

Stealing scum bags.

I have not yet been hit but worry about it and I am being pro-active. Costs some money but what does it cost to lose your tools and equipment. I have installed "Dakota Alerts MURS Alarms" which are either motion detection or magnetic detection alarms. They can be hidden and not seen and will transmit via radio to where you are 24 hours a day as long as the receiver is within 1/4 to 1/2 mile. You only need one receiver which is a low cost MURS radio hand held receiver. You can use up to 4 transmitters without confusion. Excellent alarms and have used them for 4 years now. I get mine from ********************************
They seem to have lowest cost and offer what I need. There are others that sell the same systems which are the same but cost differs. The MURS system is radio transmitted and does not need to be hard wired to receiver.

I am also building simple "break wire" alarm systems for my shop to run siren and will reset itself if tripped. Is all battery operated so cutting power will not affect system. Anyone with some basic electronic skills can build these without breaking the bank.

My nearest neighbor is 5 miles away and I live in remote area on a little used public through road nearly one hour from law enforcement.

I hate to be paranoid and have to be wary of everyone, but it only takes one hit, to rip of thousands in fuel, tools, and equipment.

He just keeping them safe for your family ( uha, ya, right)

Stealing scum bags.

I have not yet been hit but worry about it and I am being pro-active. Costs some money but what does it cost to lose your tools and equipment. I have installed "Dakota Alerts MURS Alarms" which are either motion detection or magnetic detection alarms. They can be hidden and not seen and will transmit via radio to where you are 24 hours a day as long as the receiver is within 1/4 to 1/2 mile. You only need one receiver which is a low cost MURS radio hand held receiver. You can use up to 4 transmitters without confusion. Excellent alarms and have used them for 4 years now. I get mine from ********************************
They seem to have lowest cost and offer what I need. There are others that sell the same systems which are the same but cost differs. The MURS system is radio transmitted and does not need to be hard wired to receiver.

I am also building simple "break wire" alarm systems for my shop to run siren and will reset itself if tripped. Is all battery operated so cutting power will not affect system. Anyone with some basic electronic skills can build these without breaking the bank.

My nearest neighbor is 5 miles away and I live in remote area on a little used public through road nearly one hour from law enforcement.

I hate to be paranoid and have to be wary of everyone, but it only takes one hit, to rip of thousands in fuel, tools, and equipment.

Thanks, great link! Found those wireless dakotas, man that's the ticket to go surprise the skunks at night! I don't want to just have vid of my stuff walking, I want to catch them in the act!

Stealing scum bags.

Awesome link, I will show to my boss on the farm, someone came and stole hay last night so we're open to many ideas. We want to catch thief in act so this is perfect

Good info and link there, InWyo.

If hit again Zogger, I hope you get to put a foot in their backside.

You got to lock down the rest of your stuff.

I know money is tight. I don't have ins for the hand tools and saws either. I found a company south of Houston that reconditions the large knack boxes and sells them pretty resonable. Mine will fill a pickup bed and is 4' high. It was less than $400 . Pretty cheap security.

Stealing scum bags.

Welcome InWyo to AS...we are glad you're here. Practical is what we are all being, rather than paranoid. The changing times are causing us to be this protective, this safe and this concerned. Some wise sets to prevent theft and trace stolen goods include keeping receipts organized, recording the make, model and serial number of expensive items, think like a thief as you secure things, lock everything with wheels that could aid theft and finally lock the building(s). I used to hate all the locks until I changed my thinking that I am my own security guard and locks are best.

Back