Free firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
And delivered!

Neighbors rarely visit their little cabin, and even less so in the winter. Finally they grew tired of the pile of firewood and gave it all to me, 1.5 cords ( a month of free heat this December). Very very well seasoned, but still solid. Firewood, is like money in the bank, more is better, and never enough.

After the neighbors left I went and looked at their yard where the firewood was, and can see why they got rid of it. It was a mess. Now the area looks great. Mine of course looks like crap, but I am going to cut it to proper length, split and stack it in the next few days, and everybody wins.

Usually a "free truck" is like a "free motorhome" or "free Porsche". Motorhome is free, getting it usable will be $8000, and it'll be worth $5000 when you're done. Good to see @Yukon Stihl got a better deal than that.

Eh, had a bad experience with free tires on my old 90 dodge cummins. Hauling a small ish mini hoe for a friend. Front right let loose merging on to hwy 283. What a mess. Learned 2 things. Never put used tires on the truck, and inner fenders are over rated...

I haven’t thought about firewood yet. Two cords should set me up four would include part of next year. Never free here I always pay my way.

Eh, had a bad experience with free tires on my old 90 dodge cummins. Hauling a small ish mini hoe for a friend. Front right let loose merging on to hwy 283. What a mess. Learned 2 things. Never put used tires on the truck, and inner fenders are over rated...
I have been fixing tires since i was 12 so i have zero issues with free tires...
Not much i haven't seen with tires.My trained eye doesn't let me down much.
My lowbed used to run pretty much all free tires,the buncher i hauled around was hard on tires so buying $500 tires for it didn't make any sense when there were piles of free tires at the big city dump.But alas no more scrounging there.

I have been fixing tires since i was 12 so i have zero issues with free tires...
Not much i haven't seen with tires.My trained eye doesn't let me down much.
My lowbed used to run pretty much all free tires,the buncher i hauled around was hard on tires so buying $500 tires for it didn't make any sense when there were piles of free tires at the big city dump.But alas no more scrounging there.
Yeah idk why they went. They were a half tread take off from a friend who lifted his truck. No bubbles, or torn cords or uneven wear. Figured I needed tires for my truck, so I took his factory wheels and tires and got them swapped over. Man i wasnt ready for it to go. At the time I hauled rather heavy, rather often. So i just got new tires and never went back to seconds. Havent had issues since. Win some loose some I guess.

Bringing this thread back to the rails, somewhat...
I just did the opposite...
Paid $9 for 1cubic ft of firewood at Yellowstone. Doing the math, that comes to....
wait for it.....$1152/cord!!!

Good wood? :surprised3:

We have stores that sell small bundles of wood. Insane, in the middle of 1 million acres of dense wilderness. I have offered to supply said stores with cut/split/wrapped wood at a competitive price. It was rejected. Probably it is the owner(s) cashing on this 99.99% pure profit product.

One good thing about having this odd length firewood being delivered is that I have been experimenting with my sharpening skills. Cut a few, go sharpen, cut some more rebuild the carb, more sharpening, etc. It is all now cut to proper lengths, and there is lots and lots of 2,3, 4 to 7 inch pieces. I'd rather not have such, but I will hatchet them into kindling.

Yellowstone is virtually 100% lodgepole pine.
They put about 4 decent firewood logs, 4-5 kindling, and a few “chips” in a nicely labeled cardboard box, which they remind you is burnable.
The kindling and scraps are, I’m sure , just the stuff left over on the ground from splitting. Overall, someone is doing quite well for themselves. But hey...my car was full and I had no room to bring wood from home. Worked for me....

What's a Presto log cost these days? When I lived in San Jose I would sometimes buy a Presto to burn in my Condo fireplace. Easy to burn, started easy and burned to nothing for almost no clean up.

No idea, maybe $3-5??..., but I buy a case of fire starter bricks for about $12-15ish. We keep the woodstove going 24/7 from mid October to May 1. I might use a case every 2 years...
The Duraflame seems to only work for firestarting if you use the whole thing, including the paper wrapper. With The fire starter chunks, you only need a small piece to get the fire going...

Latest posts

Back