"Free" firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, it must be that time of year again. The "cut my tree, keep the firewood" crowd is out in force. Freecycle, craigslist, and places like that are filling up again. I've seen a good dozen ads in the past week! One ad, which I couldn't find when I went looking, required that the person be insured. !

Here's a good one:

"Free" firewood

Mutts, all of them. There is a Craigslist add here for this bunk, but, you must post a bond to ensure you take all the wood!!!!

We were coming back from a job and a guy called and asked me to go look at an oak that he wanted down. He told me it had thousands of dollars worth of firewood in the trunk. I told him the only time firewood is worth anything to me is if it's split and stacked beside my barn. It was on the way home so we stopped to look at it. It was one of the most beautiful pin oaks I'd ever seen. Huge and healthy. I called him back and told him there was no way I was going to take down a perfectly healthy tree. He offered me $200. I laughed and he hung up.
Phil

One of my "wished he was a pro" customers, who currently is a guest of the state on a coke charge, offered me a great deal on "free wood" last fall. "it's just down the road, and it's great stuff". It was close to the store, but you couldn't get a truck close to the trees. He charged the homeowner for the 3 trees, and that's about how many cuts he made. They were just lying on top of one another.

I said, "Brian, you didn't get a chance to limb them out and do the brush yet?"

"Oh, you can do that when you take the wood. No big deal Just drag it over there"

"Yeah, no big deal. I'm tied up the next 3 weekends though" (I knew he had to have it out in one week)

A month later the goof gets busted. I get a letter from prison: "Hey, guys. Do me a favor and keep an eye out for my saws. They were in the truck when I got busted. I think the cops took 'em" Then he goes on: "This new jail is pretty nice. Cable TV, ping pong, 3 squares. It's like the Hilton. I just wish they stuck me in here for the winter instead of the summer."

Saw this today.Great firewood LOL
Offer: fallen trees good for firewood Message List
Reply | Forward Message #30176 of 30374 < Prev | Next >
2-3 pine trees fallen in backyard would be great for firewood. You cut
and you pick up

Scored 2/3 of a cord of freshly cut oak rounds last week free off craigslist. When I arrived 15 min each way the guy had a John Deer garden tractor with a small bucket he scooped them up right into my 1 ton all 18" or larger dia. Once you get enough wood on hand you can become very picky about the type. Didnt even take along my saw it was allready cut up.:popcorn:

All my wood has been off C-list for free so far.

most has been either cut up or felled already just needed to go buck it or take the rounds.

one lady i am helping clear her property and i get to keep all the wood i want. It's not great wood but its fun to cut trees down, gave me an excuse to buy a bigger saw, and I don't have to deal with the brush, just pile it up.

Stew

I did end up with contact with someone on craigslist, they had
a huge pile of logs and another 4-5 solid big oaks on the ground,

I think I've pulled 4 - 5 cords so far, the first batch was the back
of the truck stacked full and 5 18' logs hauled onto the trailer, each
about 20 inches +/- was a heck of a pile, though now they want
some trees dropped, but I'm thinking that's to be done outside of
free. I have about a dozen folks at work that'd love to pay genuine
dosh to get trees removed. I'll debate that as side work.

-Jason

I have also scored a few cords of oak off CL this summer.

All of it was down and most cut up enough to load and go.
One guy also had a tractor ready when I got there.

I havent been so lucky. The only stuff I got has been some large pine logs, at least they were on my way home.

I got about 5 face cords of oak, ash, hickory and maple this year. It was all delivered too. All I had to do was cut it to lenght, split and stack it.
Try calling a tree company and see if they can get you wood they have cut down.

Try calling a tree company and see if they can get you wood they have cut down.
Depending upon your location,many tree services are in fact looking for places to dump wood.You might really strike a deal if you hauled it off site.

In my case ,they haul it to me,including often times very good saw logs.My advice though,don't even fool with pine type trees for firewood.Anything else will burn with varing degrees.Of course oak,hickory ,maple etc are better but junk wood such as cottonwood,alder etc do produce btu's,just not as much per volume but believe it or not,the same by weight.

Another source in some areas could be municipal "green waste" dump sites.They often times allow people to cut firewood from the huge piles of waste wood they accumulate .If you are going that route though,you will need a saw with some grunt and use semi chisel chain because the stuff will be pretty dirty most times and usually pretty plump old stuff.

There are a lot of options out there for a resourcefull person.

I take what they will bring me. And with the ash borer around, the entire last load was ash. But no complaints. I take any less desirable wood out to deer camp, were we burn about 2-3 face cords in 4 days. So, I will use whatever is brought my way.
Yeah, the DPW is a good place to look. In my city, they let it all sit and then bring in a drum grinder and grind it all up. They will let you take the wood chips, but no logs. I'm still working on them to let me get in there and get some.

Used to be, you'd call the town and get on the list, then some random day a huge muni dump truck would drop off some trunks that were beyond massive and you'd spend a week or two chunking them up for firewood. Now it seems the town employees keep all the good stuff for themselves and who knows, maybe unload it as a side job.

-Jason

I know this isn't exactly a "bash the craigslist crowd" thread, but you should see the ads i see here ! "free stumps, great for burning" !!!?????? These people actually think someone is going to come and pick up stumps?? And i see more ads on craigslist looking for trees to be taken down by insured people who are also responsible for getting rid of the brush, and the stump ! You get to keep the wood for firewood though. Tell me these people who post these ads aren't for real !!

On the positive side, about a month ago (craigslist), i picked up over a cord of wood, cut and split for free. Guy was having a dog pen fenced in behind his garage. Figured with a young'un now in the house, he wasn't going to burn for a couple years. No point in moving and re-stacking it. Thank you !! I'll also include a pic of a load of nice oak i found on craigslist, cut, but at rather random lengths.

Scott

Well you are always going to have to deal with a certain factor that think they can con you into dropping a tree for the firewood it contains.That's just human nature.

Do as you wish on a deal like that but I decline such an invitation.The going rate to fall a yard tree around here is about a hundred bucks on the average.
Besides all that,if you clip a house or smash a car,take a guess who likely would pay for the damage.

Latest posts

Back