"Free" firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
check out this jerk!!! He is offering to cut up downed trees for free. That jerk is me!!! My wife and dad say I should charge for it, but I like the work too much, and I can turn down anything that is too hard, too far away or not oak/hickory. Actually have gotten lots of replies so far, a lot asking me to down the tree, which I turn down also. No need to get sued!!!

http://quadcities.craigslist.org/zip/734941447.html

C

I did that too, but offered to fell them too if they weren't around buildings or power lines. No takers.

Ian

Edit: I take that back. I had one dozer pile I worked off for 2 months in the afternoons so I guess you could say I had one big taker.

Last edited:
I have had 7 or 8 replies, only 1 I have taken up on so far. Most want me to down a tree close to house. Why would you want some uninsured schmuck (me) to risk your house to save 500 bones????

C

Yup... I hear ya. I was cutting down a locust tree in a co-worker's yard and his neighbor came over wanting me to cut one down in his yard too. I said I would but he needed to understand that I wasn't a professional and wasn't insured. He changed his mind pretty quickly.

Ian

Did score one nice one, person paid someone to clear a lot, they dropped a dozen oak trees and left, they wanted the brush but not the wood. Could even drive to within 10 feet of the log butts so winched them all up on the trailer, took a few loads to get it all in 20 foot sections.

Hi all,

Here's a winner.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/zip/801851290.html

And the text for when it becomes outdated:

I HAVE A 35' TREE IN THE BACK CORNER OF MY LEVEL BACK YARD THAT NEEDS TO BE CUT DOWN AND REMOVED. THE LOT IS BORDERED BY TWO ALLEYS SO ACCESS IS FIRST RATE!
HOWEVER, TREE ENCROACHES ELECTRICAL POWER LINES ON TWO SIDES OF THE TREE TOP.

YOU CAN HAVE THE WOOD FOR FREE AS LONG AS YOU:
(1) Have current, valid liability insurance
(2) Cut tree down safely without damage to house or any other property or electrical lines.
(3) Haul ALL DEBRIS, LIMBS, LEAVES, CUTLETS, TRUNK, WOOD AWAY SAME DAY AS CUT.
(4) Start and finish on the same day and by Sept 15th, 2008.

Hi all,

Here's a winner.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/zip/801851290.html

And the text for when it becomes outdated:

I HAVE A 35' TREE IN THE BACK CORNER OF MY LEVEL BACK YARD THAT NEEDS TO BE CUT DOWN AND REMOVED. THE LOT IS BORDERED BY TWO ALLEYS SO ACCESS IS FIRST RATE!
HOWEVER, TREE ENCROACHES ELECTRICAL POWER LINES ON TWO SIDES OF THE TREE TOP.

YOU CAN HAVE THE WOOD FOR FREE AS LONG AS YOU:
(1) Have current, valid liability insurance
(2) Cut tree down safely without damage to house or any other property or electrical lines.
(3) Haul ALL DEBRIS, LIMBS, LEAVES, CUTLETS, TRUNK, WOOD AWAY SAME DAY AS CUT.
(4) Start and finish on the same day and by Sept 15th, 2008.

That's the greatest ad I have ever read in my life. Let's reword it slightly:

Free swimming! Pool is noted for being infested with Mako, Nurse, Tiger, and Great White sharks. Water is warm, however, so jump in and enjoy yourself!

Lifeguards are available, but you have to pay them.

:monkey:

Last edited:
I did get a kick out of this one. They have 4 of them ! at http://wichita.craigslist.org/zip/789815138.html

We have four large trees, one is a Pecan tree the others are Elm or Poplar I believe, all ranging between 30 to 60 ft tall. I am not a tree person so I can't promise what the other trees are. You can have them for firewood if you will just cut them down. Some of these trees are close to homes. We do not expect for you to haul off any brush or clean up after cutting, just cut and take what you need and we will do the rest. Call Vince or Quinnda, please leave a message if we are not available and we will call you back ASAP

attachment.php

Local tree company dropped this load off to me. This is the 4th load.
A deer walked up while I was setting the camera stand.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Quick Q, approx how many cord in a full grapple load? I've heard numbers ranging from 4-8. Think I've found a couple sources, need to check with the local arborist supplied contacts.

Local tree company dropped this load off to me. This is the 4th load.
A deer walked up while I was setting the camera stand.

When I saw the first pic, I thought, okay, that's nice, but no big deal.

Then I saw the second pic with you in it and realized the size of the load! :D

Nice! :cheers:

Okay, I do landscaping on the side and normally do several tree jobs over the course of the year. Over the last several years I've given away the wood to friends and family since I had stopped burning. This year I decided I'd start burning again, but I've found all but one land owner wanted the wood from the trees I dropped, which is fine since they are paying me to do the work.

So anyway, since I've had a shortage of wood this year, I've looked for freebies on CL myself. I too have had several homeowners that want their technical tree work done for free (which I won't do), but I've also had a couple that were easy drops as well. One guy told me he had a bunch of hickory trees, when I got there they were the soft maple variety, plus he wanted me to cart off all the brush. Others have had good trees and are okay with leaving the brush, which is a little more fair.

I'm currently working on clearing about 6 or 8 trees for a guy. All have to be felled and bucked, brush left on site. I took out the largest of the bunch the other day, which was about 3/4 of a cord of red oak, all the others are tall and skinny. As I'm working I get this feeling, while the HO drinks his beer watching, I feel like a cheap b!tch for doing this work for free that I normally get paid good money to do! Urrrgggg. :cry:

Anyway, here's a funny response I got from a guy on CL...

"Hi, I live in Manchester and have a very large tree that I like removed. It's a oak tree approx 4ft dia. I will give you all the wood in exchange for removal. It's in a tricky location between my house and a neighbor but its a flat location. Contact me Denis."

Now keep in mind this is about an hour drive from my house, and he knows that. I figured this should be interesting, so I responded to him:

"Hi Denis,
Could you please send me a couple of pictures of this? Manchester is a little far for me, but I'm interested."

He writes back:
"Sure, I just figure out the easiest way, to get them to you."

Weeks later:
"Hi, I finally got the pics."

Below are the pics of the tree I can have if I'm willing to drive an hour away to remove it:

denistree.jpg

denistree2.jpg

denistree3.jpg

denistree4.jpg

Anyone want to give me a hand with this baby... I'll split the wood with you??? :biggrinbounce2:

When you say give you a hand, does that mean you are willing to take the bulk of it down and i'll buck and pile brush? I don't think i'm good enough to drop that one........

Have to hook up on CL with the guy with the free crane!

Latest posts

Back