Freecycle "Free Firewood" Madness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Thought some of you might get a kick out of this. While I'm all for getting free firewood from folks off of freecycle, this seems a bit silly as a way to get "free" firewood:

"Offer: Firewood

50 ft elm tree. You cut down and you can have all the wood. In [town]
on the northside. Tree is about 15 feet from a house."

I'd love to know if anyone acutally takes this fool up on his "offer."

Maybe you could just fall it one shot, buck it and take the wood, leave the mess, that would be ok.. If it is just some cheap person trying to get something for nothing then I hope a Bob Vila type goes there to fall it, roll the dice, maybe a cool article in the newspaper when it whomps the house.

I got something like that too, cut down the tree free firewood.

Emailed the lady she said "the tree is like 5 feet from her bedroom window and is about 30ft high" I said why do you want it taken down she said "the roots were pushing the basement wall in and the leaves and branches were ruining her roof. I asked what type of tree and after several emails she never said what it was. I basically told her unless she hired a professional aborist to cut the tree down nobody would ever do it for free because of liability but she seems to think someone wil.

Run by drop the tree if it hits the house jump in the truck and haul Tail! :) We have fly by night tree services that do that.

If its leaning away from the house significantly, what's the problem? I think you would need to look at the problem before making a decision.

DeanBrown3D said:
If its leaning away from the house significantly, what's the problem? I think you would need to look at the problem before making a decision.

It might be trivial to drop it safely, but are you going to do it for the firewood?

2 Large Trees

I saw an offer on Freecycle that said 2 large hardwoods in the city. I called them and asked how big they are and she says about 4 ft in diameter?! I asked where they are located and she says they are between 2 garages with about 8 feet on either side?! Needless to say I did not take her up on her "offer!"

-Mike

I passed on a similar offer last fall. Long dead, maybe 4' at the base, in between the back fence and a shed, a good sized limb (10"-12") over the neighbors fence & yard. Not much more than 20' tall, because the power company had hacked it regularly. Had to.

Not for an amatuer! She'd been quoted $800 by a tree company, but didn't have the money. Probably a fair price.

Back